Camping idea for pick up truck owners

John Bacon

My buddy did that with his truck back in '95 when we went to Wakami Lake for a 5 day trip. Bed across the top of the wheel wells, slide outs underneath big enough to hold rubbermaids for clothing and food, fan in the top of the cap for air flow. Worked like a charm. He slept well, I didn't listening to his drunk @ss snore half the night. Great trip though.

It's pretty hard to haul a snowmobile,

Not when your a walker Chris. Aint that what trailers are for anyways? LOL

My truck is for fishing and hunting. No wood to haul,no one to move, as I already told them all,it,s not a moving truck.LOL

Just need to look for a new cap for the truck.

Edited by Brian B

Sorry guys, nice build but I have too many projects here to spend money and time on a tool pull out. They sell them you know. I have a " Bed in a Bag" that I paid about 50 bucks for a Queen size bed including pillows in case I ever had he insane thought of going camping, actually I have no idea why I bought it besides I thought it was neat. To me camping is staying at a Holiday Inn Express. But it sure looks like some very well done work. Just a waste of time and $$$$. My Grand Father came to this country so they didn't have to sleep on the ground and burn wood to cook a meal. I have to admit I went camping once when I was 18. Left in the middle of the night and checked into a motel. 110% true story.

How can someone pull into a campsite driving a Benz? Yes I'm a citiot even though we live in the country. The Benz got traded in for a Silverado. I'm trying.

Never had one , but slide in pickup campers were big, back in the 70's/early80's. Large units that had fridge, stove,air, some had a bunk over the cab and overshot the back of the bed by a foot or so, Kitchen table that made into a bunk and a sink of course. When not in use you could drop the legs/stands and jack it up and drive the truck out from under it , leaving it sitting on stands in the driveway. I can't remember the last one I've seen like that, thing of the past. Buddy had one and we used it to go chuck shooting and spec fishing up on the Rocky Saugeen in the summer, way back when.

edit: Guess they still make them

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pick+up+truck+camper+unit&rlz=1T4GZGN_enCA451CA451&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TRDOVIXkKtGdygTe74GoCw&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1486&bih=698

Edited by dave524

No wood to haul,no one to move, as I already told them all,it,s not a moving truck.LOL

Saw a truck awhile back Brian with a bumper sticker that read ....

"Yes it's my truck and no you can't borrow it"

Thought that was pretty good :lol:

Edited by lew

dave524, they still make those truck campers. A friend in Waterford still has his 80's era and another camping nutbar pal just got one for his late model Toyota .

I think the motel I went to was a 50K drive from the campsite on Mt. Washington. I needed a TV anyway the Olympics were on.

Too old to be sleeping in the back of a truck now a days. Cabin, cottage or hotel (camp Sheraton) fits me much better now.

However, for almost 20 years I had a van(s) that I slept in at boat launches all over North America for FREE ! ! !

We would take out anything we didn't need in the van and put it in the boat and cover the boat overnight. Then reverse the procedure to go fishing. To sleep in the van I got some REAL NICE caboose cushions that fit perfectly on the van floor. Still have those cushions in the attic of the garage. VERY comfortable to sleep on.

For camping I would take a van any day over a pick up truck for sleeping quarters.

It's probably not for everyone but I'm sure it serves its purpose. I had a slide in about 20 years ago, a little cramped for 2 adults and 2 kids. I still kick my butt for selling it, it would have been great for going to different lakes or a hunting getaway.