cooking thread...

Venison Steak Dinner

Y37mD5z.jpg

After marinating in olive oil and apple cider vinegar for 48 hours they're ready for the BBQ.

FQExtU5.jpg

Medium rare.

jbzLKLM.jpg

Into the frying pan (covered) with the onions to rest for 10 minutes, no heat!

Onions were sauteed in Hoisin sauce and butter and fresh minced garlic.

tqHiTam.jpg

Then plated with Basmati rice, and corn, yum!

Venison Steak Dinner

Y37mD5z.jpg

After marinating in olive oil and apple cider vinegar for 48 hours they're ready for the BBQ.

FQExtU5.jpg

Medium rare.

jbzLKLM.jpg

Into the frying pan (covered) with the onions to rest for 10 minutes, no heat!

Onions were sauteed in Hoisin sauce and butter and fresh minced garlic.

tqHiTam.jpg

Then plated with Basmati rice, and corn, yum!

Bite Me!... :worthy:

Doug, just got back from the butcher shop.

Fresh pork belly cut into about 3 lb pieces and trimed nice and square (I find that makes it easier to cure evenly and smoke properly) vacuum packed so it can be frozen for later if you want, $4.75/lb (if ordering a slab which is typically 9-10 lbs) $5.00/lb if you just want to buy a piece at a time.

I just ordered a lamb $5.00 a pound cut and wrapped to my specifications. It is quite a bit higher than the last one but still seems to be a fair price. Average weight about 50-60 lbs.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I had to work yesterday.

Cliff

Never could figure out why I can buy full legs and full shoulders of pork in January for $0.99 a pound (or less) and loins of pork most weeks for $1.79 (ish) and pork belly's are $5.00 a pound! I guess we all eat too much bacon..........

I pretty much always cook pork tenderloins in a frying pan, sliced into medallions and cook to about medium rare - still a hint of pink in the centre. Because they are so very lean, any BBQ or oven recipe is going to need liquid I think.

Doug

Bought some pork tenderloins today, four small ones in a pack

Does someone have a good recipe to do a couple on the bbq ..........and a recipe to do the other 2 in the oven

Thx

John

Pan fry would be my preferred method.

Or add a can of mushroom soup to the ones in the oven.

If you bbq 2 of them just add some sauce and dont overcook. Or if you like them naked pour abit of beer on them while they cook.

To be honest you could do a million different things and as long as its cooked good itll taste great

Edited by manitoubass2

I pretty much always cook pork tenderloins in a frying pan, sliced into medallions and cook to about medium rare - still a hint of pink in the centre. Because they are so very lean, any BBQ or oven recipe is going to need liquid I think.

Doug

Thanks Doug, we will try a couple in the frying pan, to be honest with you I do not remember ever trying them before

Pan fry would be my preferred method.

Or add a can of mushroom soup to the ones in the oven.

If you bbq 2 of them just add some sauce and dont overcook. Or if you like them naked pour abit of beer on them while they cook.

To be honest you could do a million different things and as long as its cooked good itll taste great

Thanks mb2, i guess they would dry out pretty fast on the bbq, I didn't know if you could stuff them and then throw them on the q

John

Doug

I will second that! I do them in a very hot pan to sear them, reduce the heat to finish.

Now one thing I like to do is once seared, I remove them from the pan and I throw in some cubed apple (nice small cubes) and just a bit of sugar to caramilize the apple.

Bizmatti rice is one of my favorites for a dish like this because of it's nice earthy (almost nutty) flavour.

I like to serve it with green beans but I blanch them for about 3 minutes in boiling water then rince them in ice water to stop the cooking. Toss them in a pan with a bit of olive oil and about a table spoon of butter. As soon as the butter and oil starts to show heat, add some minced garlic then a couple of drops of sesame oil, and the beans. A few sliced almonds, add the pork back to the pan with the apple just until warmed through and you have a plate that will impress even you!

I will second that! I do them in a very hot pan to sear them, reduce the heat to finish.

Now one thing I like to do is once seared, I remove them from the pan and I throw in some cubed apple (nice small cubes) and just a bit of sugar to caramilize the apple.

Bizmatti rice is one of my favorites for a dish like this because of it's nice earthy (almost nutty) flavour.

I like to serve it with green beans but I blanch them for about 3 minutes in boiling water then rince them in ice water to stop the cooking. Toss them in a pan with a bit of olive oil and about a table spoon of butter. As soon as the butter and oil starts to show heat, add some minced garlic then a couple of drops of sesame oil, and the beans. A few sliced almonds, add the pork back to the pan with the apple just until warmed through and you have a plate that will impress even you!

Big Cliff

thx for your time, the way you described your dish makes it delicious, I am smaking my lips as I read your post.......we will try your dish this weekend

Thx

John

Bought some pork tenderloins today, four small ones in a pack

Does someone have a good recipe to do a couple on the bbq ..........and a recipe to do the other 2 in the oven

Thx

John

Mr. B I open mine up until they are flat, I pound them a bit to flatten them. Minced garlic olive oil, fresh parsley and onion and marinate in the fridge.

On on medhigh heat until done, I brush them with the marinating juice/ minced items.

You can brush with BBQ sauce just before done. Very tender .

MY favorite way to prepare pork tenderloin is too use strong garlic sauce.... Make sure you get the strong

It comes in jars from VH.

Use a meatloaf pan and add your tenderloin, then pour the sauce over the loin....

Put it in the oven. I promise you the best pork tenderloin you've ever eaten.

G

Edited to clear up the confusion.

Edited by Gerritt

Yep I back those VH sauces to Gerrit. Never tried it on a pork tenderloin though, def. Have to try that

Give it a go..... You won't be disappointed I promise! Ohhhhhh and I tried your rib recipe it was friggen good!!!!

I had a couple slabs in the freezer, pulled me out and realized too much ribs for my slow cooker!!! So I used a electric Turkey cooker we got at our wedding LOL....

They were friggen awesome!!!! While I smoke ribs in the summer... This was a good method for the winter months!

Just finished up a potato and bacon soup..... Bacon was on sale... I'll have to post up a recipe after I wake up ( just came off nights at work)

As for the tenderlion..... I'm craving IT now.... It's like pork candy!!!! Mmmmmm

G

I do a thing with loin pork chops or chicken thighs that would probably with pork tenderloins. Brown the loins , medallions if you wish and place them in a 10 by 14 baking dish to cover the bottom. Mix a cup and a half of rice, large jar of salsa, cup or so of frozen corn and a couple of cups of tomato juice in a large bowl cover the meat with the mixture and cook at 350 for a hour or so covered with aluminum foil.

I do a thing with loin pork chops or chicken thighs that would probably with pork tenderloins. Brown the loins , medallions if you wish and place them in a 10 by 14 baking dish to cover the bottom. Mix a cup and a half of rice, large jar of salsa, cup or so of frozen corn and a couple of cups of tomato juice in a large bowl cover the meat with the mixture and cook at 350 for a hour or so covered with aluminum foil.

Ohhhhhhhh now we're talking!