cooking thread...

Oh my, scalloped taters, love 'em. Never could make 'em like dear ole Mom's, they were to die for.

Use much more milk than the recipe calls for (about half again as much), cook them longer, and most importantly COVER THEM until they are cooked, then under the broiler for only a minute or two. Your Mom will be proud of you.

Doug

Use much more milk than the recipe calls for (about half again as much), cook them longer, and most importantly COVER THEM until they are cooked, then under the broiler for only a minute or two. Your Mom will be proud of you.

Doug

No milk used in mine.

Thinly sliced potaoes using the mandilin, Onions the same. Layer of taters, then onions,Salt pepper, butter, shredded cheese. Repeat til corningware dish is full.

I,ll post a pic next time.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I watched Mom make them many times, even know the process, I believe what mine lack is a Mom's love. ;)

FYI, she used to mix a bit of flour into the cold milk to give it a thicker creamy texture.

Thanks Doug.

I watched Mom make them many times, even know the process, I believe what mine lack is a Mom's love. ;)

FYI, she used to mix a bit of flour into the cold milk to give it a thicker creamy texture.

Yes absolutely you need flour. Personally I do NOT follow my Mom's recipe, I put the sliced potatoes and onions in a greased baking dish, with seasoning salt on each layer, sometimes with some grated cheese, but usually not, and a few extra pats of butter here and there, then I take about 2 cups of milk, heat in the microwave until it is almost boiling, whisk in about 3 tbsp or so of flour, pour it on the potatoes, grate fresh ground pepper over it all, COVER IT, and bake it at 350 for about an hour or until it looks done and I can put a fork easily through the potatoes. Cover stays off, under the broiler for a minute or so just to brown it up a bit, let it sit about five minutes, and serve

I just made scalloped potatoes for the first time ever a few months back and they were pretty good for a first shot. Tia makes most of the WASP stuff and I do the rest of the world. Thin sliced, and layered with small pads of butter and sprinkle of flour between each and seasoned. Half and half on top layer, cook, 350 I think. When golden brown I checked for doneness. Pretty simple. No cheese. Don't need no stinkin cheese. I can't see my feet this month.

edit: next time I'm adding hot smoked Hungarian Paprika.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Repent, ye sinners! And use not the cream of mushroom soup, but seek goodness in milk and flour. :angel:

If I am making up a casserole to send to somebody who is sick, old, feeble, bereaved, etc, I line the bottom of the (aluminum) baking pan with thick-sliced ham, or chunks of ham from my home-canned stuff, then build the scalloped potatoes on top. Ham and scalloped potatoes in one dish, and tasty too. I do cut down on the salt I put into the potatoes if I have ham in the pan.

Old Ironmaker, your method is the same as my Mom's, with the sprinkled flour on each layer. I prefer my method though.

Shag I've seen a number of posts on pressure canning from you. I recently got one - any good sources of info and or recipes?

If I am planning to pressure can something I never tried before, I generally do a little google search. If your pressure canner is new, it almost certainly came with a manual and recipes that will be tested and true for your canner. Beyond that, it is a bit science and a bit art, but it is pretty intuitive once you start using it - kind of like a microwave oven - at first it's all a puzzle but once you have a few things figured out, everything comes pretty naturally.

If you have a specific item in mind, you can post it here and I will do my best to tell you how to tackle it - or of course if I have no freakin' idea I will tell you that too.

A majority of stuff I can goes into the canner at ten pounds pressure for varying times. Meats and fish almost always 90 minutes. Etc etc. You can pressure can darn near anything - the one item I had the hardest time believing was canned bacon, and it's awesome.

Good luck!

Doug

Shag I've seen a number of posts on pressure canning from you. I recently got one - any good sources of info and or recipes?

Care to share a picture of you canner please? Any of you two.

Doug

I think you owe me a video, so a canning one would be great and fair. :whistling::tease: