cooking thread...

Borscht is amazing!!!!

What kind of sausage are you adding???

I'd have loved to add sausage or Bacon Rick but it's vegetarian for my youngest daughter.

In fact I'm able to happily share some with my neighbour who is vegan.

Worry not though, it is delicious despite the lack of meat. ;)

I'd have loved to add sausage or Bacon Rick but it's vegetarian for my youngest daughter.

In fact I'm able to happily share some with my neighbour who is vegan.

Worry not though, it is delicious despite the lack of meat. ;)

You could of added dry salt cod Chris. Happy happy for all. I wouldnt mind trying that Borscht.

Nice! Moose meat in chilli is sooo good. What heat are you adding Bruce? Habenero?

I've got a blend of poblano, mesilla, cayenne, serrano and habanero peppers in the hot pot. It's more about the depth of flavour than the heat of it.

Lol I went to transfer the link to my recipe folder and it was already there. So those ones were done in the oven then? I smoke my own salt in my big chief smoker anyway. So versatile. I want to do some Himalayan next time as it's now almost the only salt I use except for baking and pickling.

Cheers

Looks good, but get yourself a smoker and make them even better! 225F for 4-6 hours, build some bark and let the fats break down and get happy-happy!

I actually do have one, a Bradley and I should use it... Just need to set it all up again as it's all packed up from moving

Got a brisket in the freezer from just prior to moving I've been meaning to get in there, once the outside temps are above freezing consistently I'll have to post some pics

Eventually I want to get a green mountain grill preferably the Daniel Boone... But that's a ways away when I have more disposable income lol

Edited by Lucas F

Fish cakes

Ya it,s simple, but taken from my nan
Boned salt cod. Chop into small pieces and soak in water for 6 hours or over night. Depends on your salt intake limits. Sometimes I punish myself to enjoy the real.
Boil potatoes.
Cut/dice, 2-3 onions. I like the purple ones. Mild and sweet. Back in the day, nan didnt have that choice.
Put in a large bowl
Add pepper,bit of garlic,dill and savory. NFLD Savory. Leo,s. You can get it Sobeys. The only place I have been able to buy it.
Mix together with a fork.
Once potatoes are soft, not to soft, you need texture.put in the bowl with the onions and mash together.
Here,s the trick. Add the potatoes hot. You want the onions and spices to penetrate in to the potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooled, add 1-2 eggs and mix. Then add the cod.
Mix it all together. Using a wooden spoon. Scoop out a hand full size. Form like a hamburger paddy.
Have another bowl with either bread crumbs or panko. I know you like your panko Cliff. me too, but bread crumbs are lighter for these.
Once you have the patty made, just dust the cake with crumbs or panko. Lay on parchment paper and repeat till all the cake mix is gone.
Frying is up to you. I like to slow fry in BACON fat. If no bacon fat, I will use granola. Just fry til sides are crisp. A nice side dish is savoy cabbage.
Enjoy
B

cakes.JPG

cakes 2.JPG