cooking thread...

Big Cliff are u willing to share your maple, mustard glaze recipe :whistling:, is it better on some types fish than others :dunno:, I am guessing it would lean toward, salmon, trout etc

This was one I found on the internet, I have been making it for quite a while now. (and yes, salmon and trout substitute quite well for muskie :angel: )

Ingredients

1½ lb muskie fillet cut into 6 equal pieces

¼ cup butter, melted

¼ cup maple syrup

2 tbsp grainy mustard, I used Dijon Wholegrain Mustard

2 tbsp soy sauce

pepper to taste

1.Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.

2.Arrange the muskie pieces in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

3.In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, mustard and soy sauce. Pour over muskie. Add some freshly ground pepper, if preferred.

4.Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until muskie flakes with a fork.

This was one I found on the internet, I have been making it for quite a while now. (and yes, salmon and trout substitute quite well for muskie :angel: )

Ingredients

1½ lb muskie fillet cut into 6 equal pieces

¼ cup butter, melted

¼ cup maple syrup

2 tbsp grainy mustard, I used Dijon Wholegrain Mustard

2 tbsp soy sauce

pepper to taste

1.Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.

2.Arrange the muskie pieces in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

3.In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, mustard and soy sauce. Pour over muskie. Add some freshly ground pepper, if preferred.

4.Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until muskie flakes with a fork.

I've tried that with Salmon Cliff and we liked it. But I know it would be even better on a nice fresh ski from Sturgeon Lake :whistling:

Beacon after 7 days cure.

911.jpg

After cure, rinsed off and a soak for 2 hours in fresh cold water.

912.jpg

In the smoker.

913.jpg

914.jpg

Fresh out of the smoker after 10 hours, with an internal temp of the belly at 140 degrees.

918.jpg

After slicing one of the slabs.

921.jpg

After frying up a few pieces and not to brag but it tasted great.

919.jpg

920.jpg

Even though the house smelled of smoke meat that the wife doesn't like; she thought it had a great taste and that's a first for her to admit not all smoked meats are bad. LOL

Dan.

Thanks guys; I enjoy doing this kind of cooking; wife doesn't have any import and I do as I please. I think I may be in trouble though after this batch; she likes the beacon? LOL

It was maple chips that I used; not to strong in flavor and a lot of smoke to satisfy the nose. .

Dan.

Dan that is a man kitchen if I ever saw one lol :tease: :tease: :tease: definitely going to try the recipe, I just have a little true north and our pork bellies are just small ones prepacked at the store , no real butcher here but they will be starting their 7 day journey in the fridge tommorow

Dan. Im totally impressed dude. I was waiting for the rinced off part, and a fried up bacon turkey tomatoe sandwich, but the smoke was a bonus pleasure to see.

Question

If I dont bother to smoke, can I freeze the slabs like norm and use the bacon at will ?

Thanks again, and totally blown away at your creation. Well done.

Well, we had the whole clan over for dinner last night. They all requested jambalaya. Usually, I blend in fish and shrimp, but too many wimp/ non fish eaters in the family. Had to substitute with chicken. I made 3 gallons of the stuff, and by the night's end there was 1 meagre bowl left over. THat is a heckuva lot for 6 adults and 2 small children to eat!! Should have been enough for 2 days. Now I'm in the kitchen stewing another batch for the farm crew for tomorrow