cooking thread...

So last night we decided against gniocchi and Im kida glad.

We made homemade tortellinis from scratch and stuffed them with roasted garlic cloves, chicken and a wee chunk of sundried tomatoes.

Boilled them up quick and my mom made a cormeal bread as a side dish.

Salt pepper and olive oil on the pasta once finished and butter with a tad of honey on the bread.

Soooooo good.

No pics though everything was covered in flower haha.

Def making again

Nvrmnd, guess my daughter took a pic of her plate ???

No cheese on mine, i dont care for "hard mozza"

The garlic bread was awesome too. My mom made it to perfection

20150906_183317_zps85oan0cx.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Rick when u have time please send me the steps for the tortellinins looks terrific

Yeah no prob. Its super easy but messy, especially when ya have to make enough for 9!

Ill post it up here after

Ya gotta try that cornbread and honey too, omg is it good!

Brian, looks fantastic!!! A good rub goes along way for a chunck like that! I like that you wrapped it thats a good tip!

Okay here is your dough.

3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 1/4 cups seminola

7 eggs

Pinch of salt(i like 2 good pinches of sea salt)

3 tbl spoons extra virgin olive oil

Mix flour and seminola in a bowl. Then make a well.

Add eggs and salt

Mix some flour into the eggs using a whisk

Add olive oil and mix with the eggs and the rest with the flour

Put the gough on a surface(on parchemnt paper) and knead the heck outta it?

Knead until the flour is completely worked and has a firm consistancy.

Now roll out the dough.

The filling is up to you.

Make long rectangle shapes with the dough

Add a small amount of desired filling, cut into a square and press the ends with your fingers (or use a fork and you basically have raviolis).

Salt water and bring to a boil. Add tortellinis and cook maybe a bout 8 minutes or 10 minutes. Dont want them over cooked.

Badda bing badda boom

Add a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper, cheese if you like, maybe abit of oregeno if you like.

Enjoy

(And for the record we pressed ours as raviolis/before OI gives me kukkas)

A tortellini insnt presses its wrapped like a small bag

Literaly no difference though other then the presentation

Edited by manitoubass2

Well it,s been done and ate. I,ll bet none of you thought it was going to be a nice sandwich with a side of taters.LOL

All my cooking on the bbq is by touch. it,s how I was taught. I think my touch was just right today. Thanks pop.

I dont trust the thermo on the bbq, but it,s darn close. Kept there for 2 hours like I called.

meat%20006_zpsf9wr8pj3.jpg

While that was cooking away, I had a couple of russets baking away on the top grill. Once they were 2/3rds done, I pulled them off, sliced and diced , fried in some onions, put in a baking pan, sprinkled over some parma chese, dill and sea salt, and drizzed some virgin on it. Back in the heat for 1/2 hour.

meat%20008_zpsmsca52qs.jpg

meat%20013_zpsbijrtkbn.jpg

Time to pull off the beast.

meat%20007_zpsoargwr7g.jpg

Tented til the taters were done.

It was time to see if my timing and touch was right.

Low and be hold, it turned out just as I wanted. Medium.

meat%20009_zpspc5q24bu.jpg

And served

meat%20015_zps0mewsiaq.jpg

Longweekend is now done. I didnt fish as much I wished. The heat last week got to me. Cant complain though. Ate preety good I must say the last three days.

IM STUFFED

Been fun to share this weekend.

PS

I was told I have an order for 24 chicken stick bacon wraps. Seems the outlaws loved them. :wallbash::D

Hope ya all had a great long weekend.

B :canadian:

Step by step pics would be great Smitty. Thanks

You asked for it lol.

So I made the brine last night. My weights didn't match the recipe volumes though. 6.4 oz of my pickling salt was only 3/4c not 1 1/4. I found the No1 cure at the local butcher (he didn't even charge me for 100g), it wasn't pink and 40g wasn't quite 3tbs. I used my own garlic, lots because my cloves are huge. I used my own fresh bay leaves from my bay laurel. I used a good handful of fresh thyme leaves from my garden. I used brown sugar instead of white. You could really smell the garlic in the brine even after chilling overnight.

IMG_0656_zpsqw3l8uud.jpg

I started with two loins and it's a good thing I did because whoever was doing the cutting at Olymel is lousy. A good third of each one was a total mess.

IMG_0649_zpsvzkppkrr.jpg

IMG_0651_zpsaxku8m2i.jpg

IMG_0650_zpstchnsk9p.jpg

I managed to get two good pieces of trimmed loin at 4 and 5 lb. I had been hoping to get a real good wack of steaks cut off but I barely managed to get 6. One side done up with my homemade steak rub and the other with a good dose of medium curry powder. Then they go into my smoker for at least two pans of chips. Turns out curry and smoke work quite well together. It pays to experiment, as I do pork chops on the smoker quite often. Many get vacuumed sealed and frozen for a great quick meal later. The get half cooked in the smoker, so it's only 5 min in the pan. Plain pork chops are sure boring now though.

IMG_0655_zpsyrmrgfgo.jpg

IMG_0653_zpsqz3pislk.jpg

So I ended up with with two good chunks for bacon, six "steaks" for the smoker and dinner tonight, and 5 1/2 pounds of "extra" for minced, which I hadn't planned on. But that's fine, as we've started adding minced pork to most of our burgers and meat loaf dishes. Always tender and moist.

IMG_0652_zpsfo57ga4o.jpg

The recipe makes tons of brine. I had to filter out the garlic etc, and toss the leftover liquid, as the bags were real full. I'll get a good brine for sure

IMG_0657_zpsinolx7x4.jpg

So for $23 I'm pretty happy, specially if this bacon works out as hoped. With the crazy price of beef these days $1.44/lb is a steal even for seconds, which I figured out after opening the first package. Great time to get custom sausages made now as well. I did it last year at our local butcher.

Lastly, I'm going to smoke these by Saturday morning, which is perfect if I use the 1 day fridge pellicle method. I have a large all fridge in the basement. The big chief smoker might hit 160° on a good day so I think it's going to take the meat a long time to hit 150°. So I have the option to finish in my gas oven, which is a nice moist heat.

Anyone with advice or suggestions from folks who have done this before is welcome. Doug mentioned something I think. In particular how much smoke is enough, and preferred sequence intervals. As a rule I like to take breaks between filling the pans. It's sure not a hot smoke. Fish takes 5 hours, or more in the cool fall. Big bonus is I already have a full bag of apple wood chips. :)

LMAO , after a few pints, I can't believe I made a post this long, on a cooking thread, on a fishing forum. Go figure...

Cheers

I was looking for a cooking forum to get some advice and then I remembered this thread. So here I am looking for ideas for rubs and baste recipes. I've been asked to cook a whole rear 1/4 of beef or it'll be a number of large roasts adding up to approx 200lbs of meat.

I have my own wood fired spit and I've cooked a number of whole pork; largest being 180lbs dressed weight, but I've never done beef on my spit before.

I pics 038.jpg

I pics 039.jpg

I was told by the organizers that "Not everyone likes the standard red sticky BBQ sauce"; so I'm looking for a mop that'll add flavor but no sweet or heat (spice); I guess some form of au jus?

It would also be great if someone had any hints on roasting that large amount of beef all at once

It's for a wedding reception and I don't need a pissed off bride after me.LOL

Dan

Smitty , I noticed both of your pork loin halves are labelled sirloin half. The messy is where they had to cut around the hip joint, they also have rib half, which is the front half of the loin so you avoid that somewhat. The best is what they call centre cut, both messy ends removed but then it is not $1.44 a pound either. I toss the ends in the slow cooker with apple juice for pulled pork or cut up for pork stir frys.

dave524, good catch on the sirloin ends. I always buy the rib ends and get some steaks off, no problem, every time, then I trim the fat off the steaks and it all goes into sausages

smitty good idea on the curry, never tried that (but I will!)

smitty you asked about smoker time. I don't think I posted anything about this for loin bacon, but I don't smoke it as much nor as long as I do side bacon. My loin bacon as I did mention (I think) turns out like peameal - and in fact I do roll it in cornmeal at the end of it. I also use a Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, and would suggest two pans of smoke would be about right for your loin bacon. I agree that you will have a hard time to achieve an internal temperature of 160 with the smoker alone. You might try to box it with an upside-down cardboard box, which increases the heat inside the smoker - or yes as you said finish it in your oven. I have to finish salami in my oven, because the smoker just doesn't give me a high enough internal temperature for processed meats.

I have never tried to make loin bacon that was ready to eat like the suggested recipe says, mine always had to be cooked. I am thinking it would be hard to keep the loins juicy in a smoker run out to 160...............but that is purely conjecture on my part.

Doug

Smitty, thanks for posting. Not sure it,s what I was looking for. It looks good though. Thanks again.

G ,they will come out just fine I sure. I was looking at a weber charcoal BBQ today after work. I might just be converting. Just waiting for the end of summer sale to hit. :clapping: