Hockey rink ordered to be removed

mike rousseau

If It was not for out door rinks,I would not of know how to play the game of hockey. I remember skating at an out door rink when I was real young.Pops hood. Campbell Park http://campbellpark.ca/wiki/wiki.php. I see it,s still going strong to this day.After a few times out there,I told my pop I was scared, cause I was not as good as the guys that were out there playing. I was able to skate up and down the boards without being bothered. That was the rule back then. The puck would come near me, and they would just pick it up and go on their way, and play their game. It took one,two years when I was skating good enough to finally play the game with them. I can tell you this day,there is no other greater feeling, then playing a game of shinny on an open rink with guys that share and respect each other..

This makes me want to grab a pair of blades and head down there.

Edited by Brian B

No shortage of rinks up here.

The big ball diamond up the street is turned into a hockey rink surrounded by an outdoor speed skating oval by the city.

By my place there are a couple of rinks on Kam Lake and there is one down by the houseboaters in Yellowknife Bay.

Probably more I don't know about as well.

The city closes down the road 2 over from work for the winter so the kids can use the local granite hill as a sliding hill that ends up out on the road. They also have a gravel pit on the edge of town that is fenced in and is used for the kids to snow board on.

No shortage of rinks up here.

The big ball diamond up the street is turned into a hockey rink surrounded by an outdoor speed skating oval by the city.

By my place there are a couple of rinks on Kam Lake and there is one down by the houseboaters in Yellowknife Bay.

Probably more I don't know about as well.

The city closes down the road 2 over from work for the winter so the kids can use the local granite hill as a sliding hill that ends up out on the road. They also have a gravel pit on the edge of town that is fenced in and is used for the kids to snow board on.

Who sharpens your skates? LOL

This rink is in my neighborhood...

My son got skates for Christmas and we were planning on walking over to teach him to skate there...

When I was a kid the local rink was so close we would walk over with our skate guards on... I was excited that my son was gunna be able to do the same...

Oh well... Guess I'll have to pack him up and drive cross town to one if the few rinks left...

We didn't do rinks as a kid, I grew up in Pelham Township, Niagara in the midst of fruit farm country. Ponds were the ice surface of choice, used for irrigation and filling of sprayers . One farm even supplied benches for changing skates. I didn't skate on artificial ice in a rink till I was 19 and went to University in 69.

We didn't do rinks as a kid, I grew up in Pelham Township, Niagara in the midst of fruit farm country. Ponds were the ice surface of choice, used for irrigation and filling of sprayers . One farm even supplied benches for changing skates. I didn't skate on artificial ice in a rink till I was 19 and went to University in 69.

Nothing like good old pond hockey. Learned to skate, and play hockey, at the farm pond. When there was a heavy snow the one neighbour would come over on his lawn tractor and plow the pond for us. One rink for hockey. One rink for skating. I sure missed that when we moved to Toronto.

How would that be any different then the thousands of golf courses that are roadside?

there are obvious differences but you seem to be implying damage to vehicles

It's completely different, I dunno how you're even comparing the two.

I guess that's what I'm saying too. I'm all for kids going outside and having some fun but I honestly think that rink is too close to the street. It was creatived with the best of intentions, I know, but it can't stay up. I know how the media likes to make villains out of people and say; "Well the Grinch came early this Christmas," but I'd be siding with the City. Sorry.

My Counsin and her neighbours maintained a neighbourhood rink a few winters ago just down the street from them but it was at a park well away from traffic.

Considering this is on a cresent/cull de sac... Whatever you wanna call it...

There's only 20 or so houses on this street and there is no exit... Only traffic would be local residents on this street

I understand they broke a bylaw...

But most arguments here are invalid cause they could rebuild if they want within bylaw restrictions and the kids are only a few feet further from the road and pucks can still fly...

The issue is a meathead neighbor... They apparently complained about an rv parked in a driveway too long as well...

Just someone with nothing better to do then cause problems for others...

Anyone can stand in front of council and ask to be exempt from municipal bylaws. People do it all the time and often win giving them special permission to break the rules. It's my understanding that bylaw officers always give a warning before taking action which suggests this family had time to deal with the issue properly (relocating or speaking to council) before being ordered to remove it.

It was likely multiple complaints and lack of action by the rink owners which led to the closure...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah kids, go outside and play...but no hockey rinks, no skating, tag is banned on schoolyards and now....wait for it...let's ban tobogganing!!!

No tobogganing in Hamilton parks where kids have had their best times of the winter blasting down the hills! Yeah, kids get hurt sometimes, used to be part of growing up. Now it's cause for a lawsuit!!

Today you risk a $5000 fine for sledding in Hamilton. Have fun kids, let me grab the bubblewrap before you go outside and wrap you up good...

the park across the street from me also has "no tobogganing" signs with threats of fines as well. However it seems like everyone ignores them, which is a good thing. I hope that the sole purpose of the signs is to remove liability, so that when someone does get hurt their parents dont try to sue the city for millions.

I would pray that the by law would never actually be enforced.

Theres two ways that i see this, I know that in St. Catherines people build their own private ice pads under the big hydro lines, clearly on Hydro's property but not one seems to have an issue with it. Personally Anything that gets kids out of the house is worthwhile.