St Lawrence pike report

verno

Well I think this is my first ever fishing report :thumbsup_anim:. My buddy picked me up 3 am Monday morning and we headed back home to Morrisburg where we both grew up. I tipped my hat and sent up a quick prayer as we drove through Port Hope.

Monday was too windy for us to get out on the boat so we went out minnowing and fished for some pan fish during the afternoon. We didnt have too much luck for panfish and we were catching too many bass, so we packed it in for the day. Tuesday we were up at the crack of 10 and out on the water. We were targeting pike. The day started off slow, we tried a couple spots but had a couple follows but no takers. We switched from still fishing and started trolling. I was using a jointed rapala in perch pattern and it seemed to be the choice of the day. Most of the creek mouths produced a pike or two for us. At one point I was skunking my buddy in the pike dept. I had 4 to his 0. So he switched lures to the same one that I was using and I still caught fish and he didnt. So I offered to switch rods with him and he didnt take it too well. :dunno:

We finished off the day still fishing again in a creek mouth that we knew always holds fish and picked up a couple more on minnows under a bobber. We saw one big girl that had to be over 45" but she just swam by and ignored us. We hooked into some HUGE smallies too, but we were a month too early so they went back in.

Wednesday we broke out the 20' bamboo poles and went out for mudpout. My boss at work was telling me she loves a good feed of mudpout now and then, so I told my buddy we should try and take a couple home for her. It started off slow but as we got into late afternoon the big ones started to move in and we got into a couple nice ones that I cleaned up for her. At one point one of our bobbers went right under and my buddy leaned back into the pole but it didnt budge, so he walked backwards and I went up to the shore to have a look at what he caught. It was a decent size snapper that was not about to let go of the fish we had hooked. I ran to get the camera but of course as I got back there the snapper let go :dunno:

It was good to have some time back home and put things in perspective. Here's some pics, sorry about my man boobs.

100_0259.jpg

100_0262.jpg

100_0264.jpg

Eventually I got smart and put a shirt on. Too little too late, I'm paying for that now. :blush:

100_0266.jpg

100_0265.jpg

Here's my buddy fishing with the long bamboo

100_0272.jpg

100_0269.jpg

LOL!!! Nice fish and I think the pictures have been commented on sufficiently. Ok, one more ......my 15 yr old daughter has just announced that "You are all crazy and spend WAY too much time on boats alone" LOL

bly

LOL!!! Nice fish and I think the pictures have been commented on sufficiently. Ok, one more ......my 15 yr old daughter has just announced that "You are all crazy and spend WAY too much time on boats alone" LOL

bly

Bly, tell your daughter that he's not alone on the boat. He's with his better half.

better_half.jpg

whats the need for the jaw spreader on 2' snot rockets :wallbash: use your hands instead of busting the fishes mouth

Nate

Nice 12lf post Nate, how about posting a few reports of your own so we can criticize you for things we don't like that you do?

If ya can't say somethin' nice...

Good to see a report!

I believe I can see the points on the jaw spreader sticking out of it's jaw and snout.

Ouch.

Try putting duct tape on the sharp ends. It is easier to remove the spreaders and the snotty won't get damaged.

The others here are just jealous of you!

The reason I was using the jaw spreaders and my buddy wasnt, was that I was just getting over gout in both my hands and couldnt grip anything too tight. When I tried to hold up the first fish, it got away from me and fell all over the boat, so we got the spreaders out. We werent too worried about damaging their mouths, because they were all destined for hot oil in the very near future.

On a side note, there have been discussions here in the recent past about asians, white pails etc. As you can see my buddy is chinese. The only thing on any fish we kept this week that wasn't wasted were the fins. These pike were fileted in the fish cleaning shed. The heads went to some family friends for soup, the guts and rest of the body was cut up for compost to make fertilizer, and even the water from the fish cleaning shed goes right out to the plum tree so that any nutrients in the water aren't wasted. It is quite the operation.

The reason I was using the jaw spreaders and my buddy wasnt, was that I was just getting over gout in both my hands and couldnt grip anything too tight. When I tried to hold up the first fish, it got away from me and fell all over the boat, so we got the spreaders out. We werent too worried about damaging their mouths, because they were all destined for hot oil in the very near future.

On a side note, there have been discussions here in the recent past about asians, white pails etc. As you can see my buddy is chinese. The only thing on any fish we kept this week that wasn't wasted were the fins. These pike were fileted in the fish cleaning shed. The heads went to some family friends for soup, the guts and rest of the body was cut up for compost to make fertilizer, and even the water from the fish cleaning shed goes right out to the plum tree so that any nutrients in the water aren't wasted. It is quite the operation.

That's great!

You forgot to use the bones for sewing needles though.

P.s. Don't take so long to report again. :thumbsup_anim: