Wind and ice = lots of damage

Big Cliff

Well the lake was almost frozen over until we got that rain and wind and then it happened, the ice started to move and when that happens there isn't much that can stand in it's way.

Our dock in nothing but splinters, about 1/2 our boardwalk is destroyed the neighbors dock is in much the same shape and I'm sure a lot of other people along here fared pretty much the same.

It's a little early to tell yet but I think our boat houses survived without damage, I won't know about the marine railway intil spring though, it is under a mass of ice.

Oh well I'll try to salvage what I can, guess I'll be building a new dock in the spring.

On a brighter note, looks like the lake is pretty much wide open again for any of you hunters.

Not much you can do to stop the ice once it starts to move Cliff , other than stand back and watch the destruction.

I stood on the shore with a neighbor last April and watched the ice tear his very expensive aluminum dock to shreds.

Pretty helpless feeling for sure.

Sorry to hear Cliff. Just an insane wind yesterday... for 4:00am or so, last I looked, one wind site for Quinte called for 100km gusts. Heavy stuff.

Power only out here a few hours, the girls and I just played Crazy 8's and enjoyed the howling being outside. Your day/night a little crazier.

Well, I managed to salvage the boardwalk, I'll have to do some work on it in the spring but I was able to get a cable on it and drag it out of the lake up on to shore with my ATV.

The dock, well I think I might have salvaged about 20% of it, many of the 2"X6"s were snapped like tooth picks, 6 out of the 8 legs are bent like a drinking straw, some of it is no where to be seen so watch out if you are out in a boat at all, it will be floating right at the surface.

It could be worse, no one was hurt, no damage to the boat house, I'll have to wait until spring to see how much damage there is to the marine railway but whatever it is, it is, I can fix it.

Darn hard work out in that wind I have to tell you but at least it's done.

That is no fun Cliff. Have an OFC dock building party in the spring. I am sure that for a case of foamy apple juice an a couple of pizzas, you should have no trouble in getti g a few extra pairs of hands to rebuild your dock. It was quite wild here too in Oakville last night.