Florida Bass Fishing? Anyone?

oates

Trying to get away from the Canadian winter end of dec/beginning of Jan.

Anyone have experience bass fishing in Florida? Looking for a cottage/cabin and boat - like we do up here in Ontario.

I was about to scour websites down there but I thought, hey, must be some Ontario dudes who have done this?

Any tips appreciated.

I was just in Orlando last month and went fishing with a guide Justen Moore 1 (321) 689-1941 . It was awesome! I went for 4 hours and put 16 fish in the boat and one big turtle . The little ones were 3-4lbs and the big ones 8-9lbs. He was great, you get exactly what he promises, I couldn't have been more satisfied. If in Orlando area he's a great guy for bass. if it wasn't so hard to post pics I would,as I have done good ones...here's his wen site email [email protected]

If you're going to travel to Florida, why on earth would you spend your time fishing for buckets when there is such incredible saltwater fishing there?

Search some other threads on this board, there's absolutely amazing saltwater fishing that you'll remember for the rest of your life.You can catch bass here. Try something different, and make the most of your time away.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Even though I did go bass fishing I did find myself thinking the same thing. However the bass there were giants compared to them here... 5lb fish are the smaller ones. I think it also depends where in Florida you are so if you are in a quality ocean fishing area,do that for sure and catch something you can't get here

If you're going to travel to Florida, why on earth would you spend your time fishing for buckets when there is such incredible saltwater fishing there?

Search some other threads on this board, there's absolutely amazing saltwater fishing that you'll remember for the rest of your life.You can catch bass here. Try something different, and make the most of your time away.

I was thinking of doing both. 3 days at a cabin and also maybe one day in a charter for some sea fishing. I don't have any saltwater gear so I thought I could bring down my freshwater gear. So far, hard to find freshwater cottages online, they look shabby, compared to some of the nice spots up here.

Lake Reedy Cottages

Frostproof Florida

1-863-635-2793

I fished this lake a few times when I was down there. Mainly from shore and had some success.

There are many lakes around this area that look amazing.

I saw this cottage resort beside the public launch ramp and it didn't look too bad.

Don't the Martin's have a resort on the Big O?

You don't need any gear with a good quality guide. I took down several combos for when I was mucking around on the back roads fishing intercoastal but when I was on the guide trip I used his gear. My freshwater spinning would not have held up to what these fish can do. It was like hooking into a bull dozer - such power!!!!!

If you are heading to Orlando area I can't stress enough - ditch the bass and head to the Atlantic coast for some red drum and trout. This is probably one of the most desirable red drum destinations in the world. Google Mosquito Lagoon Fishing and see what's out there.

My two cents would fully endorse Captain Jamie Glasner - he does a wicked inshore trip on the flats and now has upgraded near/off shore boat. Check out Fin and Fly charters

I'm back down to Florida for baseball this March but on the Gulf side so gotta find a new guide for goliath grouper and hammerheads

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73789

One of my buddies went to Florida 12-15 years ago, he hired a guide for a day, wild shiner fishing, he got a ten# * fish. In 40 years of bass fishing here in Ohio? never a 7# fish.

http://bassonline.com/florida-lakes/lake-okeechobee/

http://www.lakeokeechobeebassfishing.com/okeechobee-bass-fishing/

scottmartinchallenge.com/guide-services/

http://www.jandsfishcamp.com/cabinsrvrentals.html

http://www.rolandmartinmarina.com/resort_information.php

He trailer-ed his bass boat down there, his wife and kids went to Disney World and he fished.

Lake O is huge, a guide for at least a day is suggested? The rest of his fishing was done with lures, and he didn't get a fish over 6#.

Ask a guide to see how far a place you might choose to stay is exactly how far from where you will be fishing? The lake is huge? Running time with a rental might also be an issue? Location?

Some of the BEST largemouth fishing is right in DISNEY.....look up bass fishing at Downtown Disney.........no license or equipment needed but make sure you book a morning trip before all the water vehicles stir up the lake. They use pontoon boats and you can book either a half day or full day and they supply the refreshments for up to 4 people. Expect bass from 5-8 pounds. Catch and release ONLY.

Or go salt water fishing.

Edited by Mister G

Its the same reason why people travel all the way to British Columbia to fish for steelhead.

Why bother when you can catch as many steelhead as you want here in ditches

If you're going to travel to Florida, why on earth would you spend your time fishing for buckets when there is such incredible saltwater fishing there? Its the same reason why people travel all the way to British Columbia to fish for steelhead. Why bother when you can catch as many steelhead as you want here in ditches

Not me, I would got for largemouth....but that's cause I would fish for a 10lb+ Saltwater would be fun, if i had a interest for it. Bass head remember :)

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to do these three things:

A) hire a guide for a 1/2 day of largemouth madness

B- hire a guide for a 1/2 day of saltwater fun

C) bring my gear and try some shore fishing here and there for kicks

I think spending $1000 on a cabin and boat to fish waters I have no clue about (I know it's bass but it isn't ontario, different waters down there) might be a disappointment if I catch a bunch of 1lbers.

Really appreciate all your feedback, helped me get my head straight on this!

Edited by oates

Don't be shy using your light stuff. Be prepared for some bite offs but you will out hook the saltwater guys 10 to 1. Bring good flouro leader material, and sunblock. I'm jealous, not much fishing where I'm heading in Arizona. Unless there's a flash flood. Trout and Snook are a blast. Bass as for tourists. Don't wade without proper foot protection. Looks nice until you step on a Ray. Ask that Croc guy how he made out and he was a pro, RIP.

Look at the regs for the county(s) you are going to be in. There are plenty of serious game wardens in Fla. Which is a good thing, wish we had some up here.