Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

when I went looking for a truck I wanted ford

but they were 6000 bucks more then ram

I went with ram

Did you get the same thing as I did???????

Yes sir, it is more,but you are talking apples and oranges here. Ford vs Dodge. GM sales guy was the same.

My response was,it,s a truck. I want a truck. I dont need bling bling,blah blah blah. I just want a truck. You see that pontoon in the trunk and back seat of my car? I want a truck. LOL

Edited by Brian B

Even if you dont keep it forever and recoup extra costs through fuel savings, you will get your money back on resale. Compare an 08 grand cherokee hemi vs diesel and there is a 3-5k difference in an otherwise equal vehicle.

Obviously a diesel doesn't suit everyone's driving habits or wants and needs but a 4k premium over the hemi on a brand new laramie seems worth it to me if it does.

Edited by Raf

Even if you dont keep it forever and recoup extra costs through fuel savings, you will get your money back on resale. Compare an 08 grand cherokee hemi vs diesel and there is a 3-5k difference in an otherwise equal vehicle.

Obviously a diesel doesn't suit everyone's driving habits or wants and needs but a 4k premium over the hemi on a brand new laramie seems worth it to me if it does.

Makes even more sense to buy a diesel grand Cherokee now over the hemi as there is a $2000 federal levy on the hemi due to its lower fuel economy. Edited by Spooled

It's interesting to hear a dealers perspective on this. We recently replaced my 2008 F150 5.4. Our leaser was pushing us hard for the ecodiesel Ram, because of the fuel consumption. We actually ordered one. Then the next day literally a truck fell in our laps due to a death in town. (unfortunate yes, but someone was going to buy it). We ended up with A 2013 F150 5.0.

The interesting thing is that on the highway it gets mid to low 11's. So when we did the math and actually calculated the fuel used. It is exactly half of what was being used before. BUT, the difference is the RAM equally outfitted cost 10k more. Now we pay fleet for our trucks so the numbers are a little different, but the idea is the same. So in the lifetime of the truck with me as a driver, It would only break even on cost after 250,000km. Similar to the Eco-boost, when they first came out. It seams it is strictly a pay now or pay later scenario. Considering that we will probably deal this one at 150... it would have never paid off.

Of course fuel consumption is different for everyone and every vehicle, you mileage may vary. Although I really enjoy my new(to me) f150, I was really excited to try the ram with the baby diesel. Maybe next time

I have a hard time believing that Fords fleet price was 10k lless than Rams fleet price....

7-8 mpg difference in the meantime.

not seeing that with the new ones there pretty close but seeing hemi rams doingn11.5 average on evic and deisel 10 ish pretty close cant comment on cherokee havnt seen a ecodiesel yet lots of the mb ones though.

A hemi RAM doing 11.5/100k!! Hard to believe. Maybe doing 100 on the nose with no wind whatsoever. But, HEMI power comes at a price - at the pumps. The Ecodiesel is pretty impressive. Stump pulling torque, great fuel economy, resale,etc.. the only drawback, it is a bit slow on acceleration. Not bad mind you, but slower than what we are getting accustomed to which is a whole other can of worms.

I have a hard time believing that Fords fleet price was 10k lless than Rams fleet price....

Truck for Truck the Hemi and the 5.0 were withing 1000 of each other. Add the 6500 eco diesel and now the Ram is 5K+ more. This is were Dodge gets you... in the SL model you can get the ecodiesel, But you cannot add the SXT appearance package. So you have to upgrade to an SLT, unless you want bare bones for $37k LOL

So go ahead and compare an SLT Ecodiesel and and XLT ford. You will see what I found. XLT fords are a dime a dozen. And that's what we bought

Now full disclosure, this was August 2014... we were pricing a 2015 Ecodiesel as they were not available through fleet anymore for 2014. For us at the time the pricing was not worth it, as I said your mileage may vary... or your fleet manager is not being good to you.

But I don't mean to start a pissing contest, I'll drive anything. I was hoping for the ecodiesel. I'm glad to hear they are getting the great mileage. I just don't think anyone will be paying of the farm with the savings.

Agreed...I don't know how the average Joe affords new vehicles today...these 8 year loans are insane and I really think people have lost their minds....had a guy in the other day that rolled over almost 20 grand into a 20 grand vehicle now he wants to roll that 40 again into a 50 grand pickup...I told him to go home and think about it real hard...and another for various reason was nearly 60 grand into a 22 grand Grand Caravan...just crazy!!!

sorry for getting off topic.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

it's definately easier for those who can write off interest, capital costs to buy new.

we can but i still buy used 5+ year old vehicles. LOL When my 08 Grand Cherokee diesel is done, I'll be looking at the 14 eco diesel RAM or the GC diesel

Edited by Raf

it's definately easier for those who can write off interest, capital costs to buy new.

we can but i still buy used 5+ year old vehicles. LOL When my 08 Grand Cherokee diesel is done, I'll be looking at the 14 eco diesel RAM or the GC diesel

same boat usually buy something off lease low k.

Been shopping newer truck and used prices are out of this world 2013 ram sport over 30k couple 2011 z71 were 24-29k then check my chrysler discount get a $52k truck built my way is 38k not much more than 2-4 year old trucks.

The wife don't like me off roading the truck though and thinls i should get a sxs instead

How much is a hemi oil change vs the ecodiesel ecmilley?

Only maintenance gotcha with hemi is the fairly frequent spark plug changes correct?

Also read at least in the gc manual that it's recommended (not required) to run 89 octane in the hemi for best performance. Does same go for the ram?

A hemi RAM doing 11.5/100k!! Hard to believe. Maybe doing 100 on the nose with no wind whatsoever.

The 2015 ram 4x4 hemi 8spd is rated at 11.5hwy with the new 2015 federal ratings which are supposed to be much more realistic to real world conditions.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/report-e.cfm?reportID=18732&submitted=true&sort=overall_rank&onSearchLink=%231&searchbox=&year=2015&class=PU&make=RAM&model=1500+4X4+%28MDS%29&model=1500+4X4+ECODIESEL&trans=all&FT=all&cylinders=all&unit=0&usePers=0&kmPerYear=&cityRating=&fuelGas=&fuelPremium=&fuelDiesel=&pageSize=10&btnSearch=Search

Edited by Spooled

Even if it was apple to apple, the f150 with the Eco-boost was a free upgrade... but I wasn't interested in an ecoboost.

Anyhow, fact is they are all too expensive and they all break.

So far the Ford eco boost engine has been worth its weight in gold for me. The pick up has towed and preformed excellently with runs up to 14 hours straight towing a boat and a weeks worth of gear.. The gas millage has been on average 17 MPG with a tow package and geared for towing at 3.72. The upgrade from the 3.7 to the eco boost is $1800.oo on average and was the first upgrade I did when I ordered my new van. While I like diesels and have owned/own them in the past the surcharge on fuel makes Gas a better choice. The 17MPG VS 22MPG is negated by the .70 cents average over charge on the diesel.

Art

The oil change on the Diesel is expensive (Truck). It is about $200 or so, due to the amount of Oil - and it is a particular Synthetic (if you are handy, you can do it yourself for 60 to 80.00). However the Oil change is 16000K, or roughly twice a year depending on how you drive, KM's, etc. There is also DEF - but that is a requirement for all Diesel vehicles. That works out to about $20 a year.

At any rate - if you tow - really anything on a regular basis the Diesel wins hands down - against all engines (until you hit the payload limit on the Truck that is.... :whistling:). I've seen almost 20MPG towing which is awesome.

I like Diesel - so the price point for me was not that big of a deal. The premium when I bought was also not as big. I knew Diesel would be more expensive in the Winter - but cheaper in the Summer (tracking it - it was almost a 6 month split, so it is a wash in my mind). My break even point from fuel savings over the Hemi came out to about 4 years (ran some numbers, based on my driving patterns, KM's, etc. before I purchased).

We just did a drive from Kingston to Santee SC in my Truck. 3 Guys, full load in the tailgate. We averaged 27MPG or so - with a pretty heavy foot (mileage drops - pretty much for all vehicles once you go over 100K/hr) - I would say we probably did between 120 -> 135KM/h most of the way. The compliments I got on the vehicle were great - to a tee they thought it was the most comfortable vehicle (not just truck) they had been in, and that it was a great long distance cruiser.

No regrets from me on the purchase.

Edited by Tupelo

The 17MPG VS 22MPG is negated by the .70 cents average over charge on the diesel.

Art

while it applies to you Art, that surcharge does not apply to 99% of the members here. gas vs diesel over a 12 month period is about a wash for us canadians -- they are the same price with diesel being more than gas in the winter and the opposite in summer. the us market gets screwed and the arguement for diesel is a little harder in the states.

while it applies to you Art, that surcharge does not apply to 99% of the members here. gas vs diesel over a 12 month period is about a wash for us canadians -- they are the same price with diesel being more than gas in the winter and the opposite in summer. the us market gets screwed and the arguement for diesel is a little harder in the states.

Do you think that will continue with the price drop in oil? Diesel seems much more right now. Another handy site to see the trends on Ontario gasoline/Diesel prices:

Gas: http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/fuel-prices/fuel-price-data/?fuel=reg&yr=2014

Diesel: http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/fuel-prices/fuel-price-data/?fuel=DSL&yr=2014