Who wants to feel REALLY stupid!

Big Cliff

Back on Sept. 22 a fairly new member, creditmaster put a post on the board regarding "QUALITY fishing hooks cheap".

Some of you saw fit to jump all over this member. Now I'm not going to quote posts or crap like that, you know who said what and who accused him of what but I think a lot of you should be really ashamed of yourselves and I think some apoligies are in order here!

It turns out that this young man is only 14 years old and was trying to do nothing more than share what he thought was some good information. Instead of jumping on him I think it would be very fitting if some of the "SMARTER" members reached out to him and spent some time sharing their knowledge and experience with him. if these hooks aren't a really good deal, how about teaching him why! If it turns out that they are a really good deal then back him up and share with the rest of us!

I'd really like to hear that he has been flooded with PMs of offers! Who's the man here?

He'll feel stupid when he breaks off a big fish because of a bad hook. But that's a apart of growing up. I know i didn't listen when I was that age, made some mistakes and learned from them. It's called growing up.

No need for the hand holding.

I have no idea if they are good hooks or bad, never used them. Light wire hooks to me are small fish or I don't care hooks, if I get the fish in the boat or not? I don't care!

A couple of the biggest bass I have ever had a hook in were on light wire hooks, they were a compromise. I was fishing with live chubs, big ones, which are sort of hard to find here for sale, you usually have to find them and catch them yourself.

Fishing in a turnpike pond years ago, very clear water for here, and sort of barren, very limited weeds and not much else in the water except for a couple of half submerged cement truck tires that floated around.

Not a numbers lake for bass, unless you were content catching 1 - 1 1/2 pound fish, but it had some resident pigs, you had to wait them out though. Definitely not a lure lake, day or night, there was no effective lure bite.

So a 6-8 inch chub on a slip float, light line, only 14# test and a 4/0 Aberdeen hook to allow the chub to stay alive and active longer. You might only get one hit all day, but usually it was a good 20 inch fish.

So after waiting most of the day? I get my hit, now those Aberdeen hooks had worked OK in the past, but this wasn't a 5 pound bass, it was a lot bigger, just guessing 7-9 pounds. Where does he go? Towards one of the truck tires floating in the water, and the Aberdeen hook just straightened out from me trying to stop him.

My brother lost a pig there too, the same way, with an Aberdeen hook, it also headed for a truck tire, his swam right threw it and keep going.

I kept using Aberdeen hooks, a different brand, and for different circumstances. Even for jig hooks some Aberdeen hooks are better than others.

I agree, I caught 3 muskies on Aberdeen hooks while fishing for crappies. Land all of them and thinking back I have never had a hook break on me. Also VERY few times have I lost a fish to the line breaking. Proper drag settings and once the fish is near the boat I always take off the reals anti-reverse and back real if the fish is large.

I also don't care if I lose a fish boat side, especially if I can see and identify the fish. It now becomes my "FISH STORY" and now it's as big as I tell the story. Somehow that fish always grows over time as the story is told. It's that why we fish :)

Edited by Mister G

The original post included "Better than Gamakatsu?" and a lot of guys were probably questioning that (including myself)...In what way were they better?

Perhaps in the future it might be advisable to give a more detailed review before recommending or hyping-up a product to the masses: How long did you use the product for? What models did you use? Under what conditions were they put under (ie. where did you use them)? What type of fish did you catch with them? Were they sharp straight out of the package? How did it hold up to bigger fish. How did the point of the hook hold up to rocks. Did you have any issues? What qualities do you think makes these hooks good or better than Gamakatsu?

For me, after being diagnosed with cancer twice in 4yrs and spending months in intensive chemo and recovering from surgeries, I now put a greater emphasis on maximizing the value of my time and overall experience on the water. When I'm blessed to have time on the water (which has been far less in recent years), I don't want to have any doubt that my tackle isn't up for the job and I don't want to waste my time on having to deal with crappy tackle and the problems that come with it. I also don't want to waste my time to be a guinea pig on the water when I don't have to (that's the conscious choice I've made at the risk to losing out on some great deals).

For those who don't think about it, consider how valuable your time and experience on the water are worth and make a judgement for yourself. This of course does not mean that amazing deals cannot be had (because they can - in this case with these hooks, it could be an amazing deal).

I felt really stupid in 2007 for group buying 6000 Gamakatsu knock-offs online only to have a number of them break on some larger fish...No I have not recommended those particular hooks.LOL

LOL, one day I went smallie fishing with my son in law and buddy. My son in law got a carp around 25 pounds, I got one around 35, and my buddy got one around 50-60 pounds, all on tubes with Aberdeen hook inserts and 8# test line.

It's easier in a boat, you just follow them until they wear out. I won't talk about my luck with Muskie, lipping them is a bad plan though. LOL

The original post included "Better than Gamakatsu?" and a lot of guys were probably questioning that (including myself)...In what way were they better?

Perhaps in the future it might be advisable to give a more detailed review before recommending or hyping-up a product to the masses: How long did you use the product for? What models did you use? Under what conditions were they put under (ie. where did you use them)? What type of fish did you catch with them? Were they sharp straight out of the package? How did it hold up to bigger fish. How did the point of the hook hold up to rocks. Did you have any issues? What qualities do you think makes these hooks good or better than Gamakatsu?

For me, after being diagnosed with cancer twice in 4yrs and spending months in intensive chemo and recovering from surgeries, I now put a greater emphasis on maximizing the value of my time and overall experience on the water. When I'm blessed to have time on the water (which has been far less in recent years), I don't want to have any doubt that my tackle isn't up for the job and I don't want to waste my time on having to deal with crappy tackle and the problems that come with it. I also don't want to waste my time to be a guinea pig on the water when I don't have to (that's the conscious choice I've made at the risk to losing out on some great deals).

For those who don't think about it, consider how valuable your time and experience on the water are worth and make a judgement for yourself. This of course does not mean that amazing deals cannot be had (because they can - in this case with these hooks, it could be an amazing deal).

I felt really stupid in 2007 for group buying 6000 Gamakatsu knock-offs online only to have a number of them break on some larger fish...No I have not recommended those particular hooks.LOL

number one i said in my opinion 2 i like them cuz they are extremely sharp and strong i landend a chinny recently on a size10

number one i said in my opinion 2 i like them cuz they are extremely sharp and strong i landend a chinny recently on a size10

I landed a 57" sturgeon on a low grade fine wire jig.... Doesn't mean it's a good jig...

I all honesty... You were just the 1/100 that posted about a product and have no professional ties to the company....

We see it all the time on here so it's really easy to assume....

Sorry for assuming....

just so you know bill i KNOW quality when i see it i grew up fishing in newfoundland my grandfathers were ALL fisherman and first nations just couse im young dosent mean i dont know AND i caugt a chinny on them not te be dissrespectfull

Your're 14, you think you know everything, lol. I hope these hooks work out for you, but you can't be surprised when someone second guesses 1000 hooks for $5.

when fishing there are many factors that go into catching a trophy.

many, if not the majority, of those factors are outside our control (bad hookset, close to structure, a light hit, etc).

so the remaining factors that are within our control should be looked at closely.

frequently tying knots, changing lines, checking for knicks, using quality hardware (and this includes hooks, swivels, split rings, etc).

at 14 he has many years to learn this - just as we all did. (the good anglers are still learning and always will be)

what will determine his future fish catching success will be if he listens and learns from those who have been there, or if he will tell those who have been there how to do it.

that is up to him.

not us.

Edited by Steve

I realize that it is your opinion. I'm just saying (with reference to the original thread), that perhaps in the future, to avoid the unnecessary commentary that you might receive, you could provide additional information on the product and your experiences to support your opinion. As with any opinion that you share to the public, a lot of people are going to wonder and ask why?

People also don't know who you are, what your experiences are, where you fish, what you fish for, etc to gauge whether the product is right for them. Even great, perfectly made products when used in an environment/conditions for which they weren't designed for can make a product seem like crap. That's when the people who are pimping the products start to lose credibility.

If your experiences are primarily from the Credit River, the guys fishing Niagara, Saugeen, Maitland, west coast rivers or any of the bigger rivers with a lot of flow might not share the same experiences because the conditions are different. As an example: A 30lb chinook in the Credit can be landed on 6lb leaders and size 10 hooks with standard 4-8lb float rods. Standard tackle on the west coast for steelhead 1/3 that size is 12lb leaders, hooks no smaller than size 4 (size 1 is average) and rods rated 8-17lb because the steelhead there fight a lot harder, longer and the rivers are generally of higher gradient.

For me, I only gauge quality after I (or the people whose opinions I trust) used the product over an extended period of time through a variety of conditions and it comes out unscathed.

Hope this helps to clarify my views on the subject

Mike

Your're 14, you think you know everything, lol. I hope these hooks work out for you, but you can't be surprised when someone second guesses 1000 hooks for $5.

ACTULY i DONT think i know evreything just stating than im not a total idiot when it comes to fishing...........................no ofence man the amount of negative coments that come out of u are suprising

ACTULY i DONT think i know evreything just stating than im not a total idiot when it comes to fishing...........................no ofence man the amount of negative coments that come out of u are suprising

Who said you were an idiot? I don't think anyone did. You've got some really experienced guys here, some have spent 20-30 years on the river. You'd be wise to listen to them.

I also call it like it is, maybe a bit to blunt for some people but that's not my problem. I'm not one to sugar coat anything.

Edited by BillM

Who cares about age? Fishing 200 days a year for 5 years=same experience as someone fishing 50 times a year for 20 years.

I personally don't cheap out on hooks however there are deals to be had just like any product. Everyone is an expert fisherman. Everyone fishes differently. Everyone uses different equipment for personal preferences. Learn from experience. Dont push products. Leave that to the internet heroes. "I couldn't have flossed this salmon in 10 inches of water if it wasnt for my *insert brand* rod, reel, split shots, and hooks."

Agree to disagree. No need to constantly try to get the last word in.

im not ignoring them and im not thinking that im superior i just dont want to have my posts put down cuz im young and dont say that thats not the case beacause some people DO

No one is putting your posts down because of your age. Some guys had a bit of fun with you because of the insane price of 1000 hooks bought off Ebay. That's it.

Agreed, hard to take someone serious when it is filled with "cuz, like, 2" it also makes it difficult to read.

Imagine though, this is the reality of our legacy... Kids that can no longer write or read cursive... Why? Because schools no longer teach it.

Long gone is the hand written letter...

I fear we are doomed.

As for the young man creditmaster... Thank you for letting us know about a deal to be had. Not all of are interested to be honest... It is fine to have an opinion. But as opinions are in them selves your own.

But as suggested, please try and use proper spelling and grammar, makes it easier of us old guys to read..... Crap I am only 38!!!

I wish you all the best young man,

G

I'm quite sure that no one had bad intentions in the original thread. Re-hashing what was said there on a new thread is just confusing. Let's all buy whichever hooks we like. Thank you Creditmaster for the heads up on the deal. It was thoughtful of you.