QUALITY fishing hooks cheap

creditmaster

The China sites do have some good quality products for good pricing, if you can get direct from source. It only makes sense every middleman doubles the price of anything he moves or he goes broke and does something else... I know a guy I met fishing a few times, who makes walleye rigs and he said when he found out the contact info of the Chinese company for the exact same supplies he had been buying in online from the States his costs dropped 60% for the hardware, shipping was free (where it had been almost as much as the cost of the product) and no brokerage fees now because they will ship it to the customs office near him which the U.S. supplier wouldn't do. So now he clears it himself for the nominal fee customs charges and the duty. I asked him did he drop the price to his customers for the finished product he just laughed and laughed...

The only downsides to anything I have ordered is the long wait time for free shipping, and if you like something you might not be able to order it again. I got 30 packages that had 2 each of the BEST clip on chemical lights I have ever used for .30 a pack. I didn't want to order more in case they were crap. As soon as I got them and found out how good they were I tried to reorder 100 packages. The link didn't work anymore... I found other sites that had the product listed for about 40% more which was still a great deal, but they were all sold out too. Just seemed strange someone spent the time and money to develop and perfect the product with packaging then it just seemed to have disappeared.

I've had fantastic luck purchasing off of www.aliexpress.com before.

The supplier only gets your money once you receive your goods and are happy that they match the description.
You can get some amazing deals and most of the prices include shipping for free.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=fishing+hooks&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20140923104253

Those are the search results for fishing hooks. Sometimes it's worth the gamble.

I'm in the hockey equipment business. Some of the sticks you'll find on there are knockoffs, others are actually manufacturing for some of the biggest brand names in the world and selling the sticks out the back door for more money.

Great deals can be had but be careful.

The hook is the first point of contact between you and a fish. I've caught so many steelhead that I couldnt care to count, but it's those big ones where you better hope that your gear is on point or you can can kiss those 15-20lb chromers goodbye. Only Owners for me. Strongest hook on the market in my opinion.

So true... hook strength is everything.

I was at a local fishing store a few years ago and this guy was in and we started talking to the owner about breakoffs. The guy was having a problem with hooking up with lumber in the rivers he was fishing and then breaking off leaders. He was using much higher line test than I or the owner went with and we snap tested some he had brought in and all seemed good with the line... So the owner said he had this BRAND new hook from Raven specially designed to bend and then come out in such situations. The guy grabs a pack saying GREAT!!!!

Now we all know what happened... About a week later I run into the guy who bought the hooks pier fishing. He had 3 straightened hooks in about an hour. He was going to go and tear the owner of the store a new one. I asked why? You bought those hooks to fish in creeks with tons of logs and branches in them not off a pier, where there is nothing to break off on... He packed up and left he was so mad. LOL

I try to use the best hooks I can find. You never know when a fish will take you for the ride of your life.

When I fish steelhead on the west coast, Owners and Gamakatsu are the only ones I take (recommended by the local guides out there). They're the only ones that survive the punishment from those fish. I've seen no-name brand hooks break in half on those fish. Nothing hurts more than flying or driving across the country only to lose a fish on something so preventable.

LOL...........some of these posts are amusing to me....."So the owner said he had this BRAND new hook from Raven specially designed to bend and then come out in such situations".

This is nothing new as they have been producing many different brands of hooks that will bend when hooked in timber. Crappie fishermen have been using a Aberdeen Hook for many many years.

"Nothing hurts more than flying or driving across the country only to lose a fish on something so preventable".

Another quote that brought a good smile to me because then what do most Steelhead anglers do once they land that monster fish or really almost any steelhead. They release it.....LOL. Welcome to the long distance release program. And now that fish is as big as "the story" you tell because as always, the big one got away. :)

my buddy uses garbage xps worm hooks as they are cheap.

his biggest issues are the hooks break, as the carbon content is too high.

also, the hook points roll quite easily.

but he can get a pack of 25 for a buck less than a pack of gammy's or owners, which of course have much less hooks.

you get what you pay for.

my buddy uses garbage xps worm hooks as they are cheap.

his biggest issues are the hooks break, as the carbon content is too high.

also, the hook points roll quite easily.

but he can get a pack of 25 for a buck less than a pack of gammy's or owners, which of course have much less hooks.

you get what you pay for.

Yep set the hook into a real good bass earlier in the summer and the XPS hook snapped...

Trokar ARE the sharpest hooks i've come across...

but their hook point design has so little "material" that they roll just as easy, if not even easier, than an XPS hook.

so very very sharp...and with open water and/or weed cover's, they are great...

but if your working around wood, or even worse, rock, your heart will break .... thankfully it wasn't me but a fishing partner rolled three hooks in one afternoon fishing a jig around rocks....one of the employee's of Fishing World made custom jigs from Trokar hooks....and they were sharp!!!

another complaint, that I cannot substantiate, is that due to the design of the point they "cut" into the fish after penetration, allowing for a "open hole" which makes it easier for a fish to shake....

but no question, on pure sharpness and penetration, Trokar is the best I've come across...it's just unfortunate that the design that makes them so sharp is also their downfall when it comes to hook point rolling.

Edited by Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Matzuo-149010-SICKLE-JIG-HOOKS-3-0-BLACK-CHROME-149010-3-0-/171356955523?

A good price for 250 3/0 jig hooks, but i have never seen or used that brand personally. They might be OK for fun fishing, but on tournament day I want something I have had experience with.

Gammie 604's

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1OOO-VMC-V7150-BK-2-0-90-DEGREE-JIG-HOOK-/171327550834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e3eaf572

that also is a good price for a 1000 hooks.

The 2/0 is big enough for smallies or largemouth and never had a problem with them. They are tougher than the Mustad 32746 bln hooks

Not a tournament day hook, ask me how I know! LOL

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/mustad-aberdeen-jig-hooks/810104.aspx

For half the price?

So a guy finds what he thinks is a really good deal and posts it on here. He even offers to supply some samples for assesment and he gets accused of being involved with the company, and just about called an idiot for using a cheep hook!

So lets back up a bit; @ $5.00/1000 you should be able to buy some and check them out, you don't like them no big loss! You find out that they are a good hook, you just saved a crap load of money thanks to one of our members posting on here.

Before you dump on the guy at least give him the benifet of the doubt!

So a guy finds what he thinks is a really good deal and posts it on here. He even offers to supply some samples for assesment and he gets accused of being involved with the company, and just about called an idiot for using a cheep hook!

So lets back up a bit; @ $5.00/1000 you should be able to buy some and check them out, you don't like them no big loss! You find out that they are a good hook, you just saved a crap load of money thanks to one of our members posting on here.

+1 to that!

At the beginning of the spring season I purchased (and I quote) "100 - 1/16 oz Jig Heads with #4 Red Matzuo Sickle Hooks" on ebay for a total of just under $20 to my door. I use these for small plastic minnows for perch on simcoe. I must say, best purchase I've made all year (other than my boat).

Granted these are brand name hooks vs no name chinese stuff, but there are definitely good deals to be had on eBay for fishing!

Amen to that Cliff.

Last Christmas I bought a Chinese shot gun because it was cheap and got berated by many (who have never fired one let alone owned one) saying it's junk. So far I have cycled many a load through her, cheap shot, expensive, 2 3/4 and 3". Never had an issue. Killed a few geese in early season. A few weeks ago I bought a brand new Mossberg 500, mostly for the barrel combo, and the very first time I fired it, it cycled and spit out an unfired round from the mag. Needs work right away. But my Chinese special has never failed from right out of the box. In fact it will be with me on tomorrow's opener and the Mossberg will be in the safe.

Just goes to show that you don't knock it till you try it.

I can almost gaurentee that everyone reading this thread has a pile of chinese made product in there tackle box. Many hooks, reels, line are made there and you buy it everyday from a brand company. I was at ICast in Orlando this year and I would say 75% of the product shown there was from China. I was at the natiional hardware show in May and I can tell you that number is even higher in that industry.

Bottom line is there are some great quality items from china and and there some duds for sure. You need to do your homework first. You can really find some great deals if you know what you are doing.

Cheers!

I can almost gaurentee that everyone reading this thread has a pile of chinese made product in there tackle box. Many hooks, reels, line are made there and you buy it everyday from a brand company. I was at ICast in Orlando this year and I would say 75% of the product shown there was from China. I was at the natiional hardware show in May and I can tell you that number is even higher in that industry.

Bottom line is there are some great quality items from china and and there some duds for sure. You need to do your homework first. You can really find some great deals if you know what you are doing.

Cheers!

a ton of gear is made in China and tai wan on the cheap for major companies. All they do is slap their logo on it and make a 400% profit on it. With that being said, the Chinese makers now have the blue prints for the top fishing gear used world wide, they make it with a slightly different design, and slap a different label on it, and charge $50 for something that cost them $5 to make. From talking to multiple sales reps (Shimano, Zebco, Loomis, Orvis, Redington, Sage) these Chinese knockoffs are just as good if not better than the brand name gear.

@$5 for 1000 hooks with free shipping, its worth a try, if the metal isn't great, you know what, you're only out $5. there are plenty of ways to test out hooks at home before you get on the water