Rapala Downrigger Combo

Bluegill

what are you targetting? I see you are up in Algoma, so probably not chinooks?, and Jos (Angling Outfitters) isn't convenient for ya. Its an adequate entry level set up. If you keep you eyes open on some of the boards, you can get a way better set up for the same price though. I have a couple RSC dipsey rods. I bought them used to get me started. They work, but I wont be buying any more - used or not, and they are targetted to replace next time I see a decent one one sale come along. They tend to loose the ceramic guide rings pretty easily too.

For a few dollars more you can put together a combo like this:

Shimano TDR Rod - $35 or so

Okuma Convector 30 reel - $95 or so

Can handle anything from bows to lakers to full size Lake O kings. Buy it when SAIL or LeBaron has their no-tax sale on and it's a combo that can't be beat for $120 tax in.

Cheers

Pete

For a few dollars more you can put together a combo like this:

Shimano TDR Rod - $35 or so

Okuma Convector 30 reel - $95 or so

Can handle anything from bows to lakers to full size Lake O kings. Buy it when SAIL or LeBaron has their no-tax sale on and it's a combo that can't be beat for $120 tax in.

Cheers

Pete

X2 Okuma has best bang for the buck for trolling combos. The Tdr is a good rod but so are Okumas "classic" line and falls in the same price range.

I bought one of these combos last year when they where on for $50. With just mono instead of lead core. I use okumas and sealines mainly, but the rapala has been ok for what I paid. I have heard that I've been lucky with the reel. I know one guy that had one blow up, and I've read similar stories online. YMMV.

what are you targetting? I see you are up in Algoma, so probably not chinooks?, and Jos (Angling Outfitters) isn't convenient for ya. Its an adequate entry level set up. If you keep you eyes open on some of the boards, you can get a way better set up for the same price though. I have a couple RSC dipsey rods. I bought them used to get me started. They work, but I wont be buying any more - used or not, and they are targetted to replace next time I see a decent one one sale come along. They tend to loose the ceramic guide rings pretty easily too.

I wouldn't rush out to Woodstock. Jos is a big fan of the rapala combos. He says the product has improved and warranty is excellent. He says he buys the Rapala gear in bulk that's why he can sell them for a "great price" $130.

You can spend the same money at JB Fishing Depot or SAIL as Pete says and get higher quality gear that will last for the same price or less.

Tim, you note a very good point.

Joc will endorse what he buys in bulk...often at dirt cheap prices because the product isn't selling, and Joc is willing to buy "the entire stock"....as he did with the Rapala....then magically it becomes "new and improved".

Joc is the single best fishing salesman in Canada.....sometimes he sells you a quality product, other times he points you to a product he's selling cheap (which means he purchased the lot .... and likely the reason he was able to was due to slow sales).

I love the rapala dipsey rods, they have held up to the abuse of many huge salmon without an issue.

I however hate the rapala dipsey reels. I bought one as a combo last season and the drag system is a joke. Go with a convector or a diawa sealine for a couple extra bucks. I love both these reels

I've been running Convectors for 10 years or so without any issues. Have a mix of wire, leadcore, braid and mono on different reels. As for rods, TDR's, Okuma Great Lakes Classic and a couple of the Rapala dipsey rods. They've all been great as well. I really haven't seen the need to spend big bucks on a trolling rod but others might argue that.

Tim, you note a very good point.

Joc will endorse what he buys in bulk...often at dirt cheap prices because the product isn't selling, and Joc is willing to buy "the entire stock"....as he did with the Rapala....then magically it becomes "new and improved".

Joc is the single best fishing salesman in Canada.....sometimes he sells you a quality product, other times he points you to a product he's selling cheap (which means he purchased the lot .... and likely the reason he was able to was due to slow sales).

You are right Steve. He should have his own infomercial. You have to admire the confidence he has to buy a product line that others can't sell. I've seen eskimos leaving there with bags of ice.