inflatable PFD's...need recommendation

bigcreekdad

I take at least 2 solo trips to Ontario every year. My trusty floatation device (the non inflatable style) is "worn" by the back rest of my tiller. I don't wear it because it's bulky. I know I am nuts.

Thinking about the inflatable PFD the type I see anglers using on fishing shows. I looked on Cabelas website and there are many but the pricing is all over the map.

Any advice?

I wear the Mustang MD 3183 and am happy with it, although I've never actually had to use it.

Very light & comfortable and got it at Le Barons.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mustangsurvival.com%2Frecreational%2Fmd3183&ei=ufgOVLSJJNSIsQS5xIGADQ&usg=AFQjCNFVSRi92CoV9RrhxspbL17tNyEaSg

My advice is to get an auto inflatable PFD, what good is a manual if you knock your head unconscious or have a panic attack when you fall in the water ?

Also have to remember that you have to be wearing an inflatable PFD for it to be approved on an open boat.

Not approved for use by people less than 16 years of age or people weighing less than 36.3 kg ( 80 lbs)

Get one with easy to find parts like re-arm kit etc.

I use a Mustang Auto inflatable.

Edited by stonefish

I have a Mustang manual inflate. I don't want mine popping open in a heavy rain or if I drop it in the water. If I ever get knocked out while flying out of a boat and end up in the water, then one way or another it's time to give up fishing anyways.

I have a Stearns and love having it. I put it on before launching the boat. I have become so use to it I have found I was wearing it ten miles down the road on the way home. I have buddies that can't swim 10 feet tell me a life jacket isn't comfortable. Or an inflatable is too expensive. No problem dropping the same money on tackle the don't need though. Some tell me they can swim, yea right. Lets see you swim into the waves that are 1 meter high 10 miles from shore, fighting the current to boot. Just an excuse. I told everyone I am implementing a new Johnny Law. No life jacket on no fishing from my boat. How am I going to feel explaining to the family why Dad didn't have a life jacket on when he was my responsibility. I hear guys tell their wives that yes they will be wearing one and have zero intention to when going out. A member here was telling me how much he paid for his new setup and how much for the designer shades just before he went over board. I saw him go down and fast in crystal clear water, had he hit his head on the gunnel he would be dead today.

I have a Stearns and love having it. I put it on before launching the boat. I have become so use to it I have found I was wearing it ten miles down the road on the way home. I have buddies that can't swim 10 feet tell me a life jacket isn't comfortable. Or an inflatable is too expensive. No problem dropping the same money on tackle the don't need though. Some tell me they can swim, yea right. Lets see you swim into the waves that are 1 meter high 10 miles from shore, fighting the current to boot. Just an excuse. I told everyone I am implementing a new Johnny Law. No life jacket on no fishing from my boat. How am I going to feel explaining to the family why Dad didn't have a life jacket on when he was my responsibility. I hear guys tell their wives that yes they will be wearing one and have zero intention to when going out. A member here was telling me how much he paid for his new setup and how much for the designer shades just before he went over board. I saw him go down and fast in crystal clear water, had he hit his head on the gunnel he would be dead today.

Common sense goes a long way as far as extending ones life goes.

Everyone who is stupid enough to not wear a life jacket at least while the boat is moving should be made to tread water fully clothed (including shoes) for 1hr in a wave pool kept at 70°F at a random moment that they least expect. Anyone who says, "I'll just swim to shore" has probably never swam more than 500m in their lifetime let alone in open water.

I've been really thiking about dropping the $$ on an inflatable life jacket for a while now just purely for the convenient factor (space, weight, coolness in the summer).

They have to be submerged in water, atleast the bottom 6" of jacket where the sensor or trigger is located, that part is well protected, rain will not set it off ( I have had mine in some good downpours) as long as you dont wear it or leave it sitting up side down :) High humidity like in a damp boat compartment might trigger the older type PFD which has a moisture desolving tablet to set off the trigger, That is why they are not supposed to be worn during white water sports,

New HIT models are better, they work on hydrostatic pressure.

I never store mine in a closed boat compartment,

My 9 year old son wanted a floaty toy to swim with off the dock. He grabbed my auto inflate and wanted to see if it would float, being a Pfd and all. So he set it in the water and poof! He found out that indeed it did float. He also found out that it was not a toy. To answer the above question, yes they are reusable. I replaced the co2 cartridge and bobbin.

I found out that the bobbin anyway needs to be replaced periodically as per the mustag recommendation.

From their website.

recommend annual maintenance and inspection of your PFD. For recreational use, bobbins should be replaced every three years to avoid inadvertent inflation.

Edited by manjo39

i have four Mustang manual inflates on my boat (worn while underway) plus regular ones readily accessible one for each person. I forget i have it on. i also have a couple spare re-arm kits on board in case i have to reset them for some reason.