tb4me

I'm sure guys like Kessel and Phaneuf have one way contracts so they can't be sent down to the Marlies unless they agree to it. I think Phil would agree to nearly anything that gets him out of Toronto but not the Marlies.

Why were the Montreal fans booing Kessel the other night? Does is poor reputation preceed him?

Dan O.

I'm sure guys like Kessel and Phaneuf have one way contracts so they can't be sent down to the Marlies unless they agree to it. I think Phil would agree to nearly anything that gets him out of Toronto but not the Marlies.

Why were the Montreal fans booing Kessel the other night? Does is poor reputation preceed him?

Dan O.

Probably because Phaneuf was not available...

Dan O.

they do have one way contract, but they can still be sent down. If they had a No-movement clause then they couldn't be sent down

Seems there's interest in the Phillsbury Doughboy!! :clapping:

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-kessel-in-the-sunshine-state-1.208497

Trade Talk: Kessel in the Sunshine State?

phil-kessel.jpg

Phil Kessel, Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

The NHL's Mar. 2 Trade Deadline is approaching and teams are making decisions on whether to buy or sell and decide which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value. Check out today's trade rumours and speculation from around the NHL beat. And follow TradeCentre on TSN and TSN.ca through Deadline Day for all the updates.

Phil the Panther?

The Florida Panthers are reportedly interested in beleaguered Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel with one main stipulation.

Florida Sun-Sentinal beat writer Harvey Fialkov tweeted Monday that the Panthers are not willing to part with a "young stud" to get him.

The Panthers have 10 roster players under the age of 25, including rookie D Aaron Ekblad and former first-round picks F Jonathan Huberdeau, F Nick Bjugstad, F Aleksander Barkov, D Erik Gudbranson and D Dmitry Kulikov.

Scout's honour

NHL scouts from around the league were out in full force for Sunday's action.

Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune tweeted that Montreal Canadiens general anager Marc Bergevin was listed on the seating chart for the game between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Pittsburgh Penguins, while Los Angeles Times sports columnist Helene Elliott tweeted a much more robust list of the attendees for Sunday's matchup between the Anaheim Ducks and Washington Capitals.

Twelve different NHL clubs, including the Toronto Maple Leafs and two scouts from the Tampa Bay Lightning, were on hand at the Honda Center to watch the Capitals defeat the Ducks.

Playing by ear

The Tampa Bay Lightning are apparently pretty open minded.

Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Bay Tribune wrote Sunday that the Lightning are reportedly in the market for a defenceman and a top-six forward and will likely be tied to remaining trade bait like D Jeff Petry, D Zbynek Michalek, D Andrej Sekera and D Marek Zidlicky.

Erlendsson writes that in Tampa Bay's current salary cap situation it would make the most sense to take on a rental player, however general manager Steve Yzerman can be unpredictable at times.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I dont understand all the Kessel hate. He is a pure goal scorer. He is not a leader and never will be. People think he is fat and out of shape yet he is one of the fastest players in the league. He is a great player but needs to be put with a true number one center that is a leader. Bozak is not the guy. Phaneuf is a 3-4 D man, not Top 2. Toronto has talent but it was not utilized well. Nonis needs to go. He is the one to give out bad contracts to Phaneuf, lupul, bolland, clarkson. Horrible GM. Bring back Burke and give him time. He seems to do good work. He did draft Kadri and Reilly. Got JVR for schenn. He doesnt seem so bad compared to Nonis.

I dont understand all the Kessel hate. He is a pure goal scorer. He is not a leader and never will be. People think he is fat and out of shape yet he is one of the fastest players in the league. He is a great player but needs to be put with a true number one center that is a leader. Bozak is not the guy.

I agree, but if they are going to take the time to do a long term rebuild then he isn't likely to have that number one centre for a few years yet. By the time they get all of the pieces in place for a play off run his contract will be up. They need to be rid of these bad contracts before they can put together a good team. There is no guarantee that Kessel will be around if and when that finally happens. If they can get some young talent for him now; it would make sense to make a trade.

This is what the Leafs are up against. Three of the 10 worst contracts:

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/10-worst-nhl-contracts-in-the-salary-cap-era/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain_SportsBreak_Desktop_CA&utm_medium=cpc

Edited by JohnBacon

Kessel IS FAST in short bursts.

but once he's back on the bench he looks like he is going to die....then his next two shifts he floats until he catches his breath...

also, a GOAL SCORER needs more than one way to score a goal. he's kinda one trick pony when it comes to scoring.

i think florida would be a good place for him. he would never have to deal with any media, and can sit on the beach and relax.

Kessel IS FAST in short bursts.

but once he's back on the bench he looks like he is going to die....then his next two shifts he floats until he catches his breath...

also, a GOAL SCORER needs more than one way to score a goal. he's kinda one trick pony when it comes to scoring.

i think florida would be a good place for him. he would never have to deal with any media, and can sit on the beach and relax.

Couldn't agree more.Listened to Leaf talk today.Gonna miss ya Kessel,don't let the door hit you in the :asshat: on the way out lol.

Yep kessel us as good as gone.

Now lets get rid of phaneuf.

Any habs fans like that hit from Subban on Marchand? Wowzers

The one from 2010 was the best...Marchand flying over the blueline with his head down and Pernell just lays him out with a 5 star hit....Emellin and Lucic is fun to watch as well.....

I agree, but if they are going to take the time to do a long term rebuild then he isn't likely to have that number one centre for a few years yet. By the time they get all of the pieces in place for a play off run his contract will be up. They need to be rid of these bad contracts before they can put together a good team. There is no guarantee that Kessel will be around if and when that finally happens. If they can get some young talent for him now; it would make sense to make a trade.

This is what the Leafs are up against. Three of the 10 worst contracts:

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/10-worst-nhl-contracts-in-the-salary-cap-era/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain_SportsBreak_Desktop_CA&utm_medium=cpc

Trading the dough boy would be easy...trading the dough boy and getting a decent return is going to be very difficult I am sure the leafs would love to get a good young player or two and a draft pick in return but it going to be hard to find a team that is willing to give you a couple of top young players and then eat that salary for a guy that is obviously not motivated to do much more than the minimum...he has his big contract so what does he have to prove....he is lazy, last on the ice ...first off, out of shape....on second thought trading the dough boy might not be that easy...you just may be stuck with him!!!

I really like the new kid they traded franny for..Leipsic is his name.. 4th in the AHL in rookie scoring.and he is a super pest like Subban and Tootoo. He is known as "the most annoying prospect in hockey" Cant wait to see him in a couple years..Gotta give the leafs some credit here..They trade Bret Lebda and a minor league player for franny and Lombardi.. Then trade Franny for a first round pick..Smooth..We still benefit from Burikie moves..I have no idea why he was fired..Best team we had in years was with him and he had to work the stink off from the JFJ era..

Edited by tb4me

Trading the dough boy would be easy...trading the dough boy and getting a decent return is going to be very difficult I am sure the leafs would love to get a good young player or two and a draft pick in return but it going to be hard to find a team that is willing to give you a couple of top young players and then eat that salary for a guy that is obviously not motivated to do much more than the minimum...he has his big contract so what does he have to prove....he is lazy, last on the ice ...first off, out of shape....on second thought trading the dough boy might not be that easy...you just may be stuck with him!!!

aaa.jpg

I really like the new kid they traded franny for..Leipsic is his name.. 4th in the AHL in rookie scoring.and he is a super pest like Subban and Tootoo. He is known as "the most annoying prospect in hockey" Cant wait to see him in a couple years..Gotta give the leafs some credit here..They trade Bret Lebda and a minor league player for franny and Lombardi.. Then trade Franny for a first round pick..Smooth..We still benefit from Burikie moves..I have no idea why he was fired..Best team we had in years was with him and he had to work the stink off from the JFJ era..

Strongly agree. Burke is a stud. Vancouver, ducks, leafs and flames have been impacted by him.

easy there sunshine we are just having a little fun here

Lol I couldn't find a better "don't feed the troll" one and that one fit the bill, but obviously other GMs would want to get a bargain on Phil but they know they aren't going to. He could be an easy 40-50 goal man on a strong possession team with the right center and wing

Lol I couldn't find a better "don't feed the troll" one and that one fit the bill, but obviously other GMs would want to get a bargain on Phil but they know they aren't going to. He could be an easy 40-50 goal man on a strong possession team with the right center and wing

You would be correct..Its a troll on a Leafs thread..Need I say more? there seems to be 3 or 4 of them having a mini turf war to see who trolls the best.. Matt, Mudler and Lookin..Trolls yup...lol