Saturday Report! - lot's of pics

Puckhead

Finally got a chance to do this:

Tacklebuster, my good friend (also his brother in law) and myself decided to hit the water bright and early. Outside of hitting some local tribs (and a 5 minute bait burner in Ottawa), I haven't been out on the softwater yet so I was pumped. Especially after these two going on the last two weeks about how good the fishing was, I really couldn't wait. Managed about 2 hours sleep before getting on the road at 4:30. Seems like the only people on the road at that time are those that wish they weren't and guys going fishing...

The weather was awesome, the water was glass and we were the only boat on the water! Lines in the water at 7! Nice...

8 minutes in - tacklebuster has a fish on - GREAT START!

W1.jpg

It was my turn next:

G1.jpg

Felt great to have it on, even though it wasn't huge... And it had some kind of nasty lip fungus going on... great scrapper...

Not much longer after that one, I get my heartbreak of the day:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The video doesn't do the fish justice - it was easily a double digit pike and clearly the best of the day. Thankfully, Tacklebuster slammed into another one to get us back on track:

W2.jpg

It went back and forth like that for a good stretch - all three of us hooking into pike. We did really well to stay out of bass spawning grounds - which was no small feat on this water....

That monster was still haunting me - all bloody day I kept thinking what else I could have done to keep him on. He could have been a PB...

Mid afternoon rolls around way too fast as usual and due to prior commitments, we had to be off the water. We decide to take one last rip at a spot before going in - I had to take another shot at that big pike:

Sure enough, fish on:

G2.jpg

Not what I was looking for but a nice perch none the less :)

We are getting near the end of our final run and starting to pack it in - thanking the fish gods for a wonderful day on the water and dreaming of what could have been with that missed pike when BAM - it happens - fish on!! rod's doubled over and I'm thinking the hell with the missed pike, this thing is a monster! It just pulled and pulled and pulled. No big head shakes or anything - I figure it's so damn big it couldn't short shake like usual... Then for a second I start thinking it's driven itself down into the weeds... Uh oh... Pulling like crazy but is it just me and it's tied up or is this thing a tank? I had to get that thought out of my head, I sure as hell am not loosing this one to a bunch of weeds.

Here's why it didn't fight like a pike: It was a bloody monster (non great lakes) pikeral!! All 30 inches of him and a personal best for me!! Awesome fish! The shock on our faces when that thing surfaced was priceless:

G3.jpg

G5.jpg

Packed it up, headed home with smiles a mile wide on our faces!

Tale of the tape for the OFC tourney:

PIKE1.jpg

33" pike

Perch1.jpg

11" perch

EYE1.jpg

And the 30" eye.

All for team 3!! Nice... (i'll get some 'bonus' inches on these soon)

My conclusion for this trip: From heartbreak to a personal best, can't beat a day on the water like that! And I boy do I need to shed my "winter weight" Keerist - I should change my username to chubby hubby....

Thanks for reading...

WOW!!! Now this was an EXCITING report!! Felt like I was in the boat with you. Most impressive thing to me was when you lost that Pike and you said "shoot" and not...well you know...LOL. Congrats on a great day out on the water...that Walleye is amazing...congrats on the PB!!!

RIGHT ON GUYS......thats an amazing walleye.. :w00t: ..and those pike were nice sized as well,that was a very sucessfull fishing trip thats for sure....and what a trip to get a new PB....great report,and thanks for sharing,thats team #3 big walleye....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Great report! They're are all such a good size, beautiful coloring. Congrats on the pickerel! The one thing I love most of fishing is the element of surprise and wondering what you may be bringing up to the boat. That sure must have exceeded any of your expectations!

I have to say , just as everyone else has, amazing report... I couldn't read it fast enough to find out what you had on your line at the end... and wow... that is one nice pickeral.

Team #3 is pulling ahead, ouch... time to get out there and start fishing again.

Way to go and thanks for sharing your awesome day.

Jen