Jack Penny's Custom Pike Spoons

solopaddler

Many of you may know who Jack Penny is, a lot probably don't. Needless to say he's someone who I've looked up to for some time now. Jack is an older gentleman from the States and a fellow outdoor writer who's passion has been chasing giant pike all over the north.

I recently had the chance to converse with the man and he sent me a huge bunch of his extremely lethal looking hand painted pike spoons! These look an awful lot like Doctor Spoons which happen to be my favorite spoons. Cannot wait to try them out on my trip next week!

The smaller spoons are hand painted Champ Baby's and I have no doubt they'll be deadly too.

According to Jack the guy who painted his spoons passed away last year at the age of 94. He does sell these spoons to the general public, but be forewarned, what he has left is the last of them. I feel pretty fortunate that I was able to get some!

Best part is, in talking to Jack we might team up together to fish the Taltson River in the NWT next year. That would be a dream trip for me.

Just google Jack Penny Outdoors if you're interested. Wink

IMG_0998.jpg

I dig spoons, always did. Funny how rarely I see anyone chucking them, although I don't fish for trout or salmon. I don't doubt for a second they work though. Just decided My next musky is coming on a spoon.

I dig spoons, always did. Funny how rarely I see anyone chucking them, although I don't fish for trout or salmon. I don't doubt for a second they work though. Just decided My next musky is coming on a spoon.

My first musky came off a spoon!

those pike ones have some sweet detail on them. very nice looking lures

Edited by leaf4

maybe im crazy but my PB pike was caught on a 5 of diamonds

You're not, I catch all kinds of big snakes on a 5 of diamonds :) Although my go to is still a Johnson Silver minnow with a big 5in white grub on the back.

Nice spoons. Never seen that single R shaped hook before, any idea what it's called?

No idea! Will find out from Jack though. According to him he's settled on this particular hook after several other failed tries.

maybe im crazy but my PB pike was caught on a 5 of diamonds

Not crazy, 5 of diamonds is a killer.

Very cool Mike. If you check out the European Rapala sites , they have a new style of spoon that looks very similar. Some pretty cool colours too.

Oh Yeah....... Jack Penny rocks !

I checked and couldn't find what you were referring to. Link?

care to show me a picture of this rig? Sounds interesting

Silver Minnow with a grub or even better a 5" strip of rippled pork rind is my go to lure when fishing weeds. As it is for just about every single pike angler at least in the north. I'll have a dozen or so in my box for this trip.

You can rig the grub in two ways as shown in these photos. I always thread the grub on as I like to slip on a brightly coloured spinnerbait skirt first, clip it so it's shorter, then thread on a grub and snug it up against the skirt.

558327_449494888414478_1783073869_n.jpg

SilverMinnow_GrubTail.jpg

Edited by Mike Borger