nf- weight distribution

jedimaster

If I have room in the truck, that's where the extra weight always goes as long as it's within the weight limits.

I always keep my trailer as light as possible and don't even top up the gas tanks until I'm close to my destination.

A lesson I learned some time back while driving thru the Rockies

You know that hill that goes down steep forever --sharp corners--and has 4 runaway truck lanes

Anyway..I'm driving thru and as I'm going down the mtn---periodically I step on the brake to slow the ever increasing speed and to negotiate the corners

Sooooo 3/4 ways down my brake gets real spongy and is gettin worse---so I stand on the pedal and yank it over to a small clearing

Get out to the familiar smell of burning brakes---so We stayed there for a while till the wheels cooled---and I shifted her down into a lower gear for the rest of the decline---driving an automatic trans.

I stop at a garage and get him to check out my brakes---called it "Brake Fade"---apparently your brake fluid boils at the cylinders and creates a vapour pocket making your pedal spongy

So he says in BC---even regular vehicles like automatics should consider gearing down a bit like the truckers to avoid this-----Never dealt with that before

So if I've just saved your skin---please post a pic of yourself in a Sens jersey...2 thumbs up---with a sign saying ..."Leafs Suck" :):):)

600lbs is nothing to worry about. I just towed a ford ranger on a trailer behind a 20ft uhaul from here to vancouver. Use your gears on the big hills, not your brakes. Going up is easy, its coming down thats a little more freaky IMO. We burned an average of $40/hr driving and its a 4700km run from pickering to kits beach in Vancover. The Uhaul had a 6.8l ford engine with an engine brake. It worked great.

S

I don't think it would make a significant difference to the gas mileage.

I would consider the weight limits. Many trucks are rated for a 1,000 or 1,500 hundred points total, including passengers. An extra 600 pounds in the truck may put you over the limit. You would have to consider the limits for the trailer as well. Also consider that extra weight in the back of the truck plus the tongue weight of the trailer may cause your rear end to ride pretty low.

If loading in the trailer try to put it over the axle to avoid problems with tongue weight. If it is going in the truck I would put it in front of the rear axle if possible; otherwise it might be better off in the trailer.

I think that over the trailers axle would be best if it has the capacity.

I run dot 5 it has a higher boiling point. Your truck suspension is set up for the weight better than a trailer. Adding weight to a trailer in an emergency maneuver gives it more inertia to whip from side to side. Stress on the ball hitch and the locking mechanism is increased and with the cheaper hitches with the wedge that goes up and down can cause them to fail when you need them the most.

Art

What did John Denver sing?....".Rocky Mountain High.....where's the guardrail?"

oh yeah..some of those roads down the slippy slide--for some reason are "Sans" guardrails---get close to the edge there and nobody's home

When towing trailer if you have tbe option of putting say 600 pounds in the back of your truck versus adding that weight to the trailer would either make a difference in term of fuel economy?

Back to the original question, you have to move the weight, doesn't matter if it's in the truck or the trailer, you're paying with fuel to move it.

If there was a noticeable difference, it would go against the laws of physics. Of course, I suppose differences between the tires, suspension and the centrifugal forces of the centre of mass from the truck might make some difference.

If I have room in the truck, that's where the extra weight always goes as long as it's within the weight limits.

I always keep my trailer as light as possible and don't even top up the gas tanks until I'm close to my destination.

Same.