Fishing bass opener with Dad

Steve

My family tradition is to load up whatever we are driving at that time and head up north for Bass Opener.

It's true, due to my location (Hamilton), Salmon / Trout are my most targetted fish. They are in my backyard and are generally easy to catch (well, not this year).

But for Dad and I, nothing beats northern Large Mouth Bass. We do fish a lake that has smallies, but they are generally incidental catches between the buckets. If I want smallies I have lots around here with Erie, Ontario, and Simcoe all close by.

This year's opener was a strange one. Water temps are at least 5 to 10 degree's colder. Vegetation growth is very limited. We fished new area's as many of our traditional haunts were unproductive.

While I threw just about every bass bait imaginable, the trusty Senko fished dead slow was the ticket for the majority of the big fish. Other big bass were caught on Jerk Baits and Spinnerbaits, but by far, slow falling senko's worked along flats was our best producing bait.

Numbers were slightly down, mainly because the "high number" baits (spinner baits and jerk baits) weren't taking fish in the colder water. Morning water temps were 65 degrees and only warmed to just over 70 degree's at the height of the afternoon. We had to be so patient with the senko's that high numbers were not possible.

However, average size was still quite good, with numerous bass starting to put on the feedbag.

Dad kicked my arse as usual - when the water is cold, and senko's are the ticket, I constantly get schooled.

It's been a long cold winter without any sexy largie photo's, and until MTBF comes in with a mega report full of huge buckets, this one will have to do. :)

qDiicTuW.jpg

zsVijJpy.jpg

Rpo9GIMQ.jpg

8zghhJUk.jpg

kLQLxRKS.jpg

UxKPOzzl.jpg

CjkdyLiE.jpg

gnpcqR01.jpg

lizwhgBD.jpg

bkoSM2Wq.jpg

HGVfTAbr.jpg

TKx3Ap4A.jpg