No musky but lotsa fun

lew

Every June for alot of years a group of us from this board have gone to Lakair Lodge on the West Arm of Nippissing. Unfortunately the camp has now closed down so myself and my wife & Joey & Tybo headed to another place just up the lake called Mashkinonje Lodge

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mashkinonjelodge.com%2F&ei=Xz-vU7fTHYyMqAbJzYGoBA&usg=AFQjCNFF5F_8NXO_6P2FPvvzMdpB6FaP0w

The place is excellent and the new owners are VERY nice and we enjoyed the place so much my wife and I have already booked for musky opener next year. Anyone looking for a nice place in the area I'd highly recommend this one.

I normally do well with the muskies up there but this year, presumably because of the cold spring, the weeds have not grown at all and we just couldn't locate the muskies in the places we always find them.

But it doesn't matter because I always say you don't need to catch a fish to have a great fishing trip and this one was no exception.

I'll be at Memquisit Lodge in the same area for a couple weeks in August so hopefully the weeds & musky are more prevalent then.

I got home this afternoon but Joey will be home later and I'll let her tell the tale and post her pictures seeing as their always better than mine but here's just a couple I took.

Any trip with bald eagles & gorgeous sunsets has to be a success no matter how few fish are caught.

022-3.jpg

014-4.jpg

Edited by lew

I've made my share of trips over the years with no Muskies, but I just love the area. Will be heading up there the first week in August, so hopefully by then, we'll have some good weeds and can find one. Will be there with a nice group of OFC'rs as well. Looking forward to seeing our friends again - fish or not

Sad to hear about Lakair. I've never stayed there but I know many members of OFC have had many memorable trips there.

Yup, it sure is unfortunate, but many of us enjoyed some great times up there over the years so there's plenty of great memories. My wife enjoyed it too and we always spent a week in June and another 2 weeks in August.

Life goes on though and we'll now stay at the other camps in the same area and visit Kevin & Leslie every trip up there as we did this trip.

Yup, it was a great trip Lew and even though it was lacking in fish, it was a great week. I really enjoyed the new place and the owners, but mostly you and Di's company. I'm just editing the pictures now and will try to have a report up shortly. We got a flat on the way home and had to change it in the blazing heat so we were a little wiped out last night.

Glad to hear you had such a great trip Lew. Fish or not I know if there is a place that will someday get a smile out of you it will come from there. Sure am going to miss you this year,

Art

Thanks folks

Ditto, you sure you don't want to change your reservation from Memquisitnt to Maskinonge Lew, come up the same time as us?

Diane and I will definitely be missing some good times Joey but we'll be sticking with Memquisit for the 2 weeks in August just because it's so much closer to where I fish all the time, and with gas at around $8 per gallon it'll be good to eliminate 25-30 miles running every day just to and from the fish'n hole. :lol:

Edited by lew

Just curious Lew did you try to get any fish going up around the Lodge you stayed? Years ago that was very good water and we'd (Dad) would get a few trolling that whole length from Warren Bay up to and almost around Musky island. Some big submerged rock on that arm. Anyhow, glad you guys had a successful trip and you enjoyed the Lodge.

Yeah, we spent an afternoon up there Fred but all we saw was a few pike. There were a few patches of cabbage but no muskies. Fella in the next cottage to us got a 52 in Warren Bay his 1st trip out. Said there was a little bit of cabbage off an island point and the big girl was sitting right on it.

Hope you and I can get out for our usual Muskrat trip in August.

You got it Lew. I was thinking about you guys all week wondering how you were doing. Even though the fish didn't cooperate it sounds like you found a great camp. I stayed up at that end only one time when i was just a kid, but I've always wanted to explore that area. Anyhow, see you in August.

Lew. Sounds like a great trip! And you are right, don't need to catch fish for a good time fishing. I hear you on the weeds...I said something last week I thought I'd never say.....

While fishing on Scugog I couldn't find the weeds.....haha

Every June for alot of years a group of us from this board have gone to Lakair Lodge on the West Arm of Nippissing. Unfortunately the camp has now closed down so myself and my wife & Joey & Tybo headed to another place just up the lake called Mashkinonje Lodge

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mashkinonjelodge.com%2F&ei=Xz-vU7fTHYyMqAbJzYGoBA&usg=AFQjCNFF5F_8NXO_6P2FPvvzMdpB6FaP0w

The place is excellent and the new owners are VERY nice and we enjoyed the place so much my wife and I have already booked for musky opener next year. Anyone looking for a nice place in the area I'd highly recommend this one.

Thanks for posting the link, Lew. Spoke with Leslie the other day and she recommended this camp or Memquisit. Agreed, it's a long boat ride to the usual stompin' grounds but I've had more luck up there! Curious about the docks; lower boat traffic or do the get banged around a bit?

Curious about the docks; lower boat traffic or do the get banged around a bit?

The docks are a bit rough right now Brian but the new owners of the camp are gonna be rebuilding them all over the winter and they should be great for next season. They've got lots of plans for the place and it should be very nice once it's done.