2 days to go before the "X" goes on your ballot. NF

45 members have voted

1. 1. WILL YOU BE CHANGING YOUR VOTE BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD OR SEEN DURING THE CAMPAIGN?

• YES
    • NO

I agree fully that manufacturing and refining should be done here.
Much of that issue stems from high labor costs here, which goes back to my staement of hard work. We have it too soft here.
Where is our money going? It's headed to countries where people actually work hard for it. Yes, there is another side to that too such as worker abuse and so forth in such places.
But can we turn that around? Not likely with the state of mind of workers here.
There is also way too much red tape hiring people. I'd love to hire more, but the costs to hire someone is prohibitive. Not worth the headaches either. Multiply my one small part by thousands.
Also, the more people that work at a small business the more regulations add up.
I'll stay small, earn my own keep.

As far as the tanker angle is concerned, there is a lot of fear mongering about this.
The oceans are filled with these running all over the world.
Until we run out of oil completely, it will continue to be so.
We either become a third world country or carry on.

Labour costs are reflective---what did the country's housing cost rise to in May---7%

several years ago when oil was $140/bl--gas at the pumps was around $1/L

Now what's Oil---107/bl---pumps at $1.40 ish

and fuel prices touch everything

This does'nt even touch insurance rates...and commodity prices

Medical costs---pharmaceuticals----never go down

Tough to work for less

Solution---pay 3rd world labour more---even the field

As far as the tanker angle is concerned, there is a lot of fear mongering about this.

The oceans are filled with these running all over the world.

Until we run out of oil completely, it will continue to be so.

We either become a third world country or carry on.

nobody is denying pipelines------gateway is a bad quick fix idea

Even the NDP want to pipe it to refineries in NB

I don't think any politician in North America could force other countries to raise their labor rates. :)

And yes, corporate greed falls into place here too.
It all boils down to the way society works here( or doesn't work)
I keep thinking of the Roman empire.

Yes--true but the progression of Capitalism and last century's move of peoples from the farm/rural life to centralized cities is too much for me to type here

Anyway Both opposition parties have said they will cancel gateway if elected after the next election----polls show likely will be the case

Also in real time dollars and cents...how fatter is your personal wallet getting if Enbridge ships oil to China??

If my roots were not so deep here Drifter, I'd do it too.

Been tempted a few times with the two weeks on, two weeks off in some of the northern regions.

If you have the right skills they will even fly you up and back every rotation.

Lots a Newf's flying in and out for rotations. ;)

I know 2 people doing the rotation---one is doing one in and one out

another is doing 2 in and one out---he used to do 3 in and one out---they vary

If your considering it ask as many people as you can that have done it----it's not all $$$$ and dancin

That rotation can play havoc with your home life and even your health

"Some" of the bunkhouses apparently leave something to be desired

And it's Capitalism at its purest---the second you are no longer req'd---you get a phone call before boarding saying not to come back---not too many unions there

And short cut the smallest safety rule---your gone instantly---My buddy says one rule is to have your tools tied off "In use" while working on a scaffold

he still has'nt learned to tie off his screwdriver

Another guy I know went for 2 weeks---could'nt stand the smell

I call Bull, everything up there is like 4x as expensive as down here :) :)

Yeah but I'd give a hundred dollar bill right now for a fresh caught grayling--stuffed with onions and wrapped in tinfoil and thrown onto the coals---not really round this neck of the woods

Edited by bushart

Lol, Alberta is no place to go work for a family man, its a single guys hussle. I worked out there for years and regret ever going. I worked 12-14 hours a day for 362 days a year. When your not working your sleeping. No time for anything else. Sure makes you appreciate being with your family, if you make it out and still have one. Once i walked out i didnt work for 3 years i was so burnt out. I had no desire to work, at all. It was all family fishing and golf lol. And talk about prices! Back when i just had two boys, i payed $2225 per month in rent, and $1750 per month for daycare!!!!

My son has been working for drilling companies (exploration) for several years now. He typically works 3 weeks in, one week out and loves it. The work is hard, the money is fantastic, but he is in charge of camp maintainance so he has some perks. That being said, he started as a drillers helper. 12 hour shifts, work like hell, share a tent in the middle of no where with guys you have never met before. It ain't all wine and roses!

I have watched this thread go go from a good political discussion to an assualt on specific individuals (I don't much care for that) to now talking about working for a living. IMHO that isn't bad! It shows the diversity of the people that visit this site.

It isn't really about which political party is best, what we really need to decide is what is best for you and I and our kids.

As far as I can see every one of the political parties out there are there to push their own agenda and it boils down to their survival as individuals.

We need a party that says: We are Canadians! We have all the resources we need to survive! We will consider sharing those resources with the rest of the world as long as it isn't to the detriment of Canadians! We are not interested in filling our pockets, we are interested in being a part of a great country!

Saddly I don't see that happening! What ever happened to "government for the people by the people?"

Just a news update.... Same budget as before with atleast another $11 B added to the debt.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/18/kathleen-wynne-says-new-liberal-budget-will-be-identical-to-one-that-triggered-election/

"Ontario voters picked the Liberal ideal of an activist government over the Conservatives’ belief that government should be as small as possible and have a limited role in people’s lives, added Wynne.

“One of the really stark differences between Tim Hudak and me, I think, was an understanding of what government is,” she said. “Government exists, in my opinion, to help people, to be active in their lives, and to partner with communities and partner with businesses to create an environment where business can thrive.”"

do you want the government "active in your life" ???.... :wallbash:

Given the earlier comments, remember tax freedom day is already 3 weeks earlier in Alberta

http://www.remaxcentral.ab.ca/

Edited by mosquito

Some camps have what look to be converted cargo containers as rooms, all lined up side by side. Walls looked corrugated and everything was steel. It's a room but some place one would want to be holed up for any length of time. Couple of rough bars in town if that's your thing. The town is pretty ugly from what I remember. But if you can swing decent digs, the money can be attractive.

Interesting perspective from the head of OPSEU.

Ontario Public Service Employees Union says other unions so afraid of PCs they sold their souls to Liberals

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/19/ontario-public-service-employees-union-says-other-unions-so-afraid-of-pcs-they-sold-their-souls-to-liberals/

A quote from the article ...

“She ran a campaign based on fear and fear mongering and it worked for her, she got a majority,” he said. “I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but I think we’re going to really live to regret that she got a majority government.” said by Smokey Thomas (head of OPSEU)

http://www.opseu.org/blogs/48-hours-and-counting

Edited by mosquito

Big Cliff for PM :)

You got my vote!

S.

You want to be my Campaign Manager :whistling:

It could never happen my friend we are both far to honest, we would tell people the truth, say what we'd do, do what we said. People don't vote for you when you do that I'm afraid.

It sent a message Cliff. That we decline to vote for any of the candidates involved.

If it wasn't for Hudack I would have probably voted PC... But it platform was garbage, even his own caucus thought so... And voiced it after the election...

Liberal? Wynne? Not a chance in hell!

NDP? She had no platform, she had nothing...

So what else was there to do? I did what I felt was right. I did my democratic duty. And told them I decline my ballot.

Simple.

G