A discussion on our rights(fishing/hunting related)

As anglers, fisherman, mothers, fathers, uncles ect. We have a very strong moral stand on fishing and hunting regulations. This is demonstrated by the vast majority of this board. Now, my question to the board members here. What would you do, if these regulations came in the way of feeding yourself or your family? I'm talking dire need. What would be your take or your stance?

bill, i always value your input, your a great member here. Could you expand on that?

Sure... If we are talking about the kids going to bed with rumbling stomachs or me possibly facing a fine for whatever (out of season fishing, poaching, spearing, you name it) the kids are going to be well fed every single time.

Assuming this wasn't a permanent situation (aka dire need like you stated above), I really wouldn't even think twice about it.

eat. I'm gonna guess you're opening a can of worms though. I only keep fish if I feel like eating it that night or family/friends or neighbors request a filet.

just looking for honest opinions. Not trying to start a ruckus. Id like to hear some in depth thought.

Sure... If we are talking about the kids going to bed with rumbling stomachs or me possibly facing a fine for whatever (out of season fishing, poaching, spearing, you name it) the kids are going to be well fed every single time.

Assuming this wasn't a permanent situation (aka dire need like you stated above), I really wouldn't even think twice about it.

thanks bill:)

and I say that with utmost respect. If hungry...feed the family. I truly believe conservation laws wouldn't be needed if most consumed game when needed...

i couldn't agree more. Its interesting to think about. At what point do you realize the resources are not owned by anyone? Most of us follow these laws not because we have to, but because we Cherish the resource, am i right? If I HAD to put food on the table id be okay though because of pike, thats what i would harvest. Most likely foraging to use in soups and stews. Old school ways to make it last or push further. If I could currently hunt. A nice deer would provide a lot of food, and not damage the resource. Edited by manitoubass2

As evolved as mankind thinks he is--we are still animals and will do what we have to ---to survive

Fortunately we're not at this place you mention----Now if the price of Beef and bacon keeps goin thru the roof :whistling:

One sidenote just as an observation---everyone here on this board has a skillset to "Acquire" food---I'm thinking more and more people on the city streets would go hungry

Starve to death or break the rules ?

Rules go out the door.

This is extreme case scenario, not " we forgot the cooler with the sandwiches, so we're gonna have to kill anything we can to survive "

I knew a dnr agent in arkansa. he regulary saw folks taking a deer,outa regulations. knowing the harvest went to hungry folks,he walked away.

I feel the same way. unfortuatly theres many that have money and break the rules. sustinence before law.

Depends what it is. If I saw someone eating protected/endangered species I wouldn't be happy. Same for moose. I hate hearing of people taking a non-tagged moose. Deer?...giver, I know lots of people who take a few deer each year. Those things are like pollution in some areas. Same for squirrels, rabbits etc.

Before someone goes shooting animals for 'survival', they should look into other harvests like mushrooms, berries, plants etc. Taking animals should be in addition to gathering stuff.

So after a few responses all aiming in the same direction, at what point do we realize the resource is just applicable to us as it is to other wildlife? And I'm not talking poaching or profiting at all. I mean the basic right to feed ones self and or their family

Interesting topic.

In 1995 I was working for an Ontario based brushing company near Revelstoke BC on the Incompalleux River with another 7 guys .

Our bi-monthly food delivery never made it into camp ( 4 canvas tents ) because of a collapsed bridge..

we barely had any food and no way out.

I had a telescopic South Bend rod and a few lures , so I poached the hell out of the local Brookie and Inconnu population , we still needed to work on the mountain , one afternoon my Bud had the bright idea to lasoo a Whitetail Doe with an extension cord ..

" that'll never work ! " Guess what ? First friggin' try !

We were 5 guys reeling in the beast and the other 3 were clubbing the tar out of her with our " weed whackers " a golf club type of deal with a 12" serrated blade ... WE WON !!

Did I poach ? yes . Was I starving ? darn near .. Would I do it again if I had to ?... hell yes !!

Randy

So after a few responses all aiming in the same direction, at what point do we realize the resource is just applicable to us as it is to other wildlife? And I'm not talking poaching or profiting at all. I mean the basic right to feed ones self and or their family

. "Rights" and sense of self entitlement these days is getting absolutely ridiculous. Of course every single person on here would break the rules if their family was starving. But that isn't the case, so why pretend. The rules are set in place to protect our country's resources, otherwise many fisheries would be destroyed from over harvest. I don't understand the mentality of having to keep everything that is caught ( within the limit) I enjoy eating fish as much as the next guy, but I am 95% catch and release.

Take a look at what native " rights" are doing to Nipissing...

Edited by Bladeburner

Interesting topic.

In 1995 I was working for an Ontario based brushing company near Revelstoke BC on the Incompalleux River with another 7 guys .

Our bi-monthly food delivery never made it into camp ( 4 canvas tents ) because of a collapsed bridge..

we barely had any food and no way out.

I had a telescopic South Bend rod and a few lures , so I poached the hell out of the local Brookie and Inconnu population , we still needed to work on the mountain , one afternoon my Bud had the bright idea to lasoo a Whitetail Doe with an extension cord ..

" that'll never work ! " Guess what ? First friggin' try !

We were 5 guys reeling in the beast and the other 3 were clubbing the tar out of her with our " weed whackers " a golf club type of deal with a 12" serrated blade ... WE WON !!

Did I poach ? yes . Was I starving ? darn near .. Would I do it again if I had to ?... hell yes !!

Randy

wow thats a horrible recount. Id do the same however and once did. With fish, not deer. I got stranded in the north arm of rainy lake for a week during a heat wave, in a bay during the algae bloom lol. Brutal conditions. No doubt one extra day and i was dead. Super duper dehydrated. All we had to eat was fish. Filleted with an axe haha. It was brutal. MNR never even crossed my mind

I heard this a few years ago, I don't know if it's true

It's legal in Canada to not have a SIN #, no birth certificate etc., you receive nothing from the gov't, no health care, no EI, no education etc., and old laws still allow you to safely travel on roadways by whatever means you have, build a homestead on crown land (no permits etc.) and farm, forage, hunt and fish without being subject to regulations

there was a name for living that way, I can't remember what it was

now that we have millions of people and buy our food in grocery stores, I think we definitely need regulation and harvest limits, in a survival situation, you do what you have to, I hope a CO or judge has enough sense to distinguish poaching from survival

I heard this a few years ago, I don't know if it's true

It's legal in Canada to not have a SIN #, no birth certificate etc., you receive nothing from the gov't, no health care, no EI, no education etc., and old laws still allow you to safely travel on roadways by whatever means you have, build a homestead on crown land (no permits etc.) and farm, forage, hunt and fish without being subject to regulations

there was a name for living that way, I can't remember what it was

The old laws regarding squatters rights/adverse possession on Crown land were repealed several years back. Under the old law you needed to occupy the patch of land for upward of 7 years before the courts would recognize entitlement. At any time during those 7 years, you were subject to eviction for trespass and any home you built torn down.