Fiddlehead Thread, NF

my wife called me a "something else" head for for riding around instead of working on the "to do" list

but picking fiddleheads is another ritual of spring,

In Oakville, things are about 2 to 3 weeks behind normal, I thought I was still going to be a little early but it's actually late

100_3054_zps82f919f8.jpg

100_3049_zps254d810f.jpg

100_3050_zps2c7cb422.jpg

whats your favourite recipe for fiddleheads???

Steamed or boiled (drained) with a pat of butter, salt/pepper and splash or two of vinegar. Oh yeah... with boiled taters and fresh Atlantic Salmon helps (else rainbow or speckled trout). That's how I was raised in New Brunswick. ;)

Yesterday morning I picked my first fiddleheads this year. Ate them last night steamed for 10 minutes then add butter & lemon juice. Wild leeks have been up for about 2 weeks. Out turkey hunting, still no turkey but had a mature doe walk right up to me within 15M before she made me and ran off.

Steam until cooked halfway, drop in ice water momentarily, drain, toss in fry pan with butter garlic lemon and balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar),mushrooms,onions and bbq sauce can be added....season with salt and pepper to taste, serve with your favourite protein. you'll never want to eat them another way!!!!

Hey, anybody tried breading them... just occurred to me that they would hold up well to breading... hmmm, marinate them in _____ then bread and fry.

Potential I would think!

HH

I tried breading them in panko before, then fried in butter, tasted awesome

Picked a large ziploc bag of them last night when trout fishing. Amazing how fast they come on, same stretch of river I fished opener and they weren't even showing then. Yesterday most were over a foot and a half high! Took a lot of work to find the smaller ones that were just sprouting. If you're in SW ON get out and look for them now or you'll miss out.

Fried in some butter and seasoned with salt and pepper is the only way to go. Boiling them extracts too much of the flavor and nutrients. As with any plant, if you insist on using water to cook them you should really opt for steaming to preserve the natural flavor and nutrients.

They can definitely be eaten raw in small quantities (as in a small handful) with no ill effects. I have munched on raw fiddleheads while picking every spring for the last 10+ years.

I'm heading out in a couple hours to get my usual 3-5 gallons worth for the yearly supply. Hopefully it's not too late around here...

Well, give the fiddleheads another couple weeks in the Brantford area. I just got home and every single fiddlehead hump I saw had zero heads sprouting. I dug into one and the heads are still small.

But, I did manage to scoop up a few small dryad's saddles that will hit the frying pan tonight with some pike. :canadian:

Well, give the fiddleheads another couple weeks in the Brantford area. I just got home and every single fiddlehead hump I saw had zero heads sprouting. I dug into one and the heads are still small.

But, I did manage to scoop up a few small dryad's saddles that will hit the frying pan tonight with some pike. :canadian:

Dryadss saddles eh? Careful the goddess Artemis doesn't put a curse on your family for taking her beloved dryad's saddles. :)

Seen this post this morning and I too was wondering when they,ll be popping up. I,ll be out this Sunday along the rivers edge, a stretch where I get all mine. Something tells me they are a week or two away. Love me fresh fiddles.

Did a quick search on these so called Dryadss. I have seen them. But before I eat them,I will post a pic to be sure they are Dryadss.. :stretcher:

Edited by Misfish

Seen this post this morning and I too was wondering when they,ll be popping up. I,ll be out this Sunday along the rivers edge, a stretch where I get all mine. Something tells me they are a week or two away. Love me fresh fiddles.

Did a quick search on these so called Dryadss. I have seen them. But before I eat them,I will post a pic to be sure they are Dryadss.. :stretcher:

It's pretty hard to mistake them for something else. The underside and inner flesh is white, they can be easily broken/snapped, and they smell exactly like watermelon rinds.

Stick to the smaller and more tender dryads as they tend to get tougher as the size increases. Like other mushrooms, simply fry in butter at med-high heat and season with salt and pepper.