Fiddlehead Thread, NF

It's weird, I was out yesterday, didn't see a single head, then today they're all over the place!

They grow that quickly eh? I've honestly never taken the time to actually gauge how fast they grow.

I guess I'll be back at er tomorrow as all the rain we got last night may have resulted in a growth spurt....

They grow that quickly eh? I've honestly never taken the time to actually gauge how fast they grow.

I guess I'll be back at er tomorrow as all the rain we got last night may have resulted in a growth spurt....

I was probably just overlooking them the one day, but they definitely did pop up pretty fast!

anyone know any spots to find fiddleheads near the pefferlaw area?

Fiddlehead patches are like fishing holes and I doubt anyone will just name off locations. They're relatively easy to find near marshy and swampy area's, especially around the Grand. The easiest time to find new patches is in the summer when the plants are fully grown and easily seen Return in the spring and harvest.

Had another large serving of the Dryads again last night...fried with bacon. :canadian:

Fiddlehead patches are like fishing holes and I doubt anyone will just name off locations. They're relatively easy to find near marshy and swampy area's, especially around the Grand. The easiest time to find new patches is in the summer when the plants are fully grown and easily seen Return in the spring and harvest.

Had another large serving of the Dryads again last night...fried with bacon. :canadian:

I hope to have my first spring feed Sunday. Hitting the river for some drop backs and they are on my treking path. ;)

I thought it was going to be early for them with all the late cold and snow,but I was way off.

005_zpsf5a9150f.jpg

004_zpsa2879878.jpg

This pod should be good for next weekend. The real shade cover areas are still brown clumps.

006_zpsa7fdc90e.jpg

Managed to find a pod that gave me enough for tonights dinner.

003_zps88952372.jpg

Steamed then fried with sweet chillie and black bean garlic sauce. :D

Was out yesterday and filled a 2 gallon bucket with fiddleheads in about 75 minutes with another 7 or 8 dryads on the side. I think i'll head out again today to grab a couple more gallons worth to make sure we have enough in the freezer. :canadian:

I've been watching for the leeks but haven't seen a single plant. I think i'm looking in the wrong spots?

Well, I put just over 12 lbs in the freezer last night and there are still tons of fiddleheads that haven't even sprouted yet.

Spotted a ton of dryads, but left those in the bush as i'm mushroomed out. I wonder if they can be dried and stored to be used later on?

fiddlehead_zpsaa9afbe2.jpg

Well, I put just over 12 lbs in the freezer last night and there are still tons of fiddleheads that haven't even sprouted yet.

Spotted a ton of dryads, but left those in the bush as i'm mushroomed out. I wonder if they can be dried and stored to be used later on?

fiddlehead_zpsaa9afbe2.jpg

Nice.

I get the brown husks off, give them a good soak/spray, toss them in boiling water for 2 minutes, strain & toss them in an ice bath to cool down fast, shake the water off-towel dry, bag them, suck the air out of the bag abd throw in freezer -aka blanche them.

I found a few morel mushrooms growing in my back yard this week. Ate 3 but the squirrels are getting them as they're coming up.