Tackle Bag or Tackle Box ?

2 tone z71

Plano thin boxes in tackle bags all the way for me- I must have 60 of them now! I prefer the smaller 3600 series - just seems a lot more convenient and I can get about 7 of the thin boxes in a bag vs 4 of the deeper ones. And yes- I do have more than one bag!

Michael

I've been a bag guy for about 5-7 years now. I can mix and match the trays based on the species, time of year and tactics. I also have a few stored in the boat as well, although those are mostly trolling type baits. It really depends on how you fish though.

Most times a bag, but on the many fly in's i do I use a front loading tackle box. 4 trays slide in the front, the top of the box has a huge compartment for accessories and camera.

It's 100% waterproof and I prefer to leave my gear in the boat at night. The plastic shell empty of trays and accessories weighs virtually nothing as well.

I myself have used both and here's my opinion on both. Box: depending on size limited to the amount you can carry. This isn't a bad thing though as I'm sure you know lugging around a heavy box can be a pain as it bangs and rubs your leg or hip. Water proof or splash proof whatever you wana call it mThe bottom of my old ones usually were a cluster damn of loose hooks, bobbers, pliers, line...you get the idea here. Bags: currently on my third. I've found that the bottom wears through the fastest and have had to replace a few for this reason both being Plano. With all the replacements I've found myself having spare lure boxes that I seem to fill with more stuff I'm unsure I really need, but it gives me the opertunity to mix and match the boxes to what I'm fishing or want to bring. Lots of pockets for storage of all your gear. Usually a strap to carry on your shoulder to free up a hand, downside is if the bag is heavy its no easier than a box I find to carry distances and shoulder fatigue dose happen to me at least. If you do find yourself in a rain storm the bags obvisiouly get wet and any unprotected gear will rust or whatever. Just remember the bigger the heavier its gonna get and that may be an issue good luck with whatever you choose.

Pidge.

Storage and bringing as much out in the boat without sinking it is ideal for me. I needed a large tackle bag that was both comfortable to carry but was strong and held lot's of tackle. I bought the Shimano Borona Tackle Bag, in Large. It comes with 3 3750 sized Plano containers on the bottom of the bag. These 3 containers hold all my craws, tubes, and swim baits. I then bought 3 of the Plano Waterproof StowAway(3740) containers. The top portion of this bag will fit 3 of these containers better then a traditional 3700 due to the rounded corners. So, in these 3 containers I keep all my jerk baits, crank baits, as well as terminal tackle sealed up and clean. No rust no wasted money.

Now we are at 6 containers. The sides of the bag will fit smaller Plano Waterproof StowAway(3640) 1 on either end or 1 on one end and leave the other empty for tools, scent, line etc. When you sling this now 30-50lb bag over your shoulder it rests on your hip with a comfortable padded section. There is a inner pocket that is water proof that I'll stash 3 or 4 spinnerbaits in as well as things like a hook sharpener, extra hooks etc...The bag is not water proof but water resistant. I spray it with NikWax Tent andGear Solar Proof and it helped repel the water and also keeps the fabric up from the sun. Pack a tiny tarp and throw it over your bag in the rain.

Try it, might be expensive once you buy the extra 4 or 5 containers but your gear stays dry, when you want to finesse fish you can swap out a container of craws for drop shot baits, it doesn't fit everything but for me I love it. Carry's nice when walking a half kilometre to the boat from the camp site.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/gear/0/Borona_Tackle_Bag.html

Best thing I've found, hope this helps.

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I use one of the bags from BassPro wiht a shoulder strap. Free's up both hands for carrying other things - especially back and forth to the boat. Wiht the bag, I can also have other Plano boxes and it's easy to swap in and out depending on what I want for that trip.

Bag all the way...

1 for perch

1 for trout plus a vest, with all the lures, pretied leaders, flies needed the extra storage if I am walking a river the bag stays in the car.

1 for bass (although I rarely use it anymore

So much simplier than having to move stuff around. If I am going for chrome in the early morning in river then perch off a pier later I just switch the bag at the car and am good to go.

Most often use a durable Rubbermaid and tie downs when traveling. Air Canada has killed anything else in flight so, the tackle bag will go into the Rubbermaid along with whatever else is valued, that way I'll have both to store things in any boat wherever fishing.

If choosing one over the other for in the boat, prefer a tackle bag but still just use the Rubbermaid itself most times.