Changes to fishing regulations for cisco (lake herring) in Lake Simcoe

TJQ

The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), with the support of the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee, is inviting the public to provide input on proposed changes to fishing regulations for cisco (lake herring) in Lake Simcoe.

The cisco population within Lake Simcoe has shown positive trends in recent years. The ministry is considering re-introducing limited harvest opportunities for anglers to support sustainable resource management and promote recreational angling opportunities.

Lake Simcoe’s cisco population once provided a major food source for several species of sport fish, as well as a significant recreational fishery. However, in 2001, the fishery was closed following several years of population decline due to a lack of natural reproduction. The decline was largely associated with habitat degradation in the form of low dissolved oxygen content within the deep, coldwater habitat of the lake. Habitat conditions have since improved, and recent population monitoring by MNR has suggested a positive trend as the population continues its recovery. Increased cisco numbers have resulted in cautious optimism by fishery managers and anglers alike.

The proposed options include:

Limits

Option #1: Sport Fishing Licence: 2, Conservation Licence: 1

Option #2: Sport Fishing Licence: 2 (Aggregate Limit with Lake Whitefish), Conservation Licence: 1 (Aggregate Limit with Lake Whitefish)

Proposed Season

January 1st to March 15th and 2nd Saturday in May to September 30th

Recent monitoring data suggest positive trends, including a total of nine year classes present in the population with two strong year classes since 2008. This has supported an increase in relative abundance over the past three years. A very strong year class was also evident in 2004; however, many of these cisco have since died due to natural causes.

The proposed regulatory options are not anticipated to negatively impact the cisco population or other fish species in Lake Simcoe.

Based on the positive monitoring information, MNR supports a limited cisco fishery that encourages sustainable harvest opportunities. This support recognizes the irrevocable changes in the aquatic ecosystem of Lake Simcoe (such as invasive species) and that the lake will likely not support historical population levels of cisco again. The proposed regulation changes align with the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Community Objectives which aim to manage cisco as a forage base for lake trout, and when sustainable, to re-open a cisco fishery, for harvest opportunities. These proposed changes are endorsed by the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee and MNR’s Lake Simcoe Fisheries Management Committee.

The proposed regulatory options are not anticipated to increase the number of anglers on Lake Simcoe. However, they could increase the total number of angler hours on Lake Simcoe annually by providing additional recreational opportunities to existing fisheries. Angler reports of incidental catches of cisco have increased in recent years.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee welcome your input on these proposed changes and all feedback received will inform the decision-making process.

You can provide your feedback through email at [email protected]. For more information, you can contact the Aurora District office at 905-713-7398. There is also an Environmental Registry Posting associated with these proposed changes. You can review this posting by going to the Environmental Registry website at http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/ and typing in the registry number 012-1601. All feedback through these avenues must be received by Tuesday May 20th.

Additionally, there will be three public open houses occurring around the watershed (see poster attached) including:

May 13th, 2014

5 – 6 pm or 7 – 8 pm

Orillia Museum of Art and History

30 Peter St S, Orillia, ON

May 21st, 2014 5– 6 pm or 7 8 pm

Southshore Community Center

205 Lakeshore Drive, Barrie, ON

May 22nd, 2014

5 – 6 pm or 7 – 8 pm

De La Salle Chapel

1940 Metro Rd N, Jacksons Pt., ON

The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), with the support of the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee, is inviting the public to provide input on proposed changes to fishing regulations for cisco (lake herring) in Lake Simcoe.

The cisco population within Lake Simcoe has shown positive trends in recent years. The ministry is considering re-introducing limited harvest opportunities for anglers to support sustainable resource management and promote recreational angling opportunities.

Lake Simcoe’s cisco population once provided a major food source for several species of sport fish, as well as a significant recreational fishery. However, in 2001, the fishery was closed following several years of population decline due to a lack of natural reproduction. The decline was largely associated with habitat degradation in the form of low dissolved oxygen content within the deep, coldwater habitat of the lake. Habitat conditions have since improved, and recent population monitoring by MNR has suggested a positive trend as the population continues its recovery. Increased cisco numbers have resulted in cautious optimism by fishery managers and anglers alike.

The proposed options include:

Limits

Option #1: Sport Fishing Licence: 2, Conservation Licence: 1

Option #2: Sport Fishing Licence: 2 (Aggregate Limit with Lake Whitefish), Conservation Licence: 1 (Aggregate Limit with Lake Whitefish)

Proposed Season

January 1st to March 15th and 2nd Saturday in May to September 30th

Recent monitoring data suggest positive trends, including a total of nine year classes present in the population with two strong year classes since 2008. This has supported an increase in relative abundance over the past three years. A very strong year class was also evident in 2004; however, many of these cisco have since died due to natural causes.

The proposed regulatory options are not anticipated to negatively impact the cisco population or other fish species in Lake Simcoe.

Based on the positive monitoring information, MNR supports a limited cisco fishery that encourages sustainable harvest opportunities. This support recognizes the irrevocable changes in the aquatic ecosystem of Lake Simcoe (such as invasive species) and that the lake will likely not support historical population levels of cisco again. The proposed regulation changes align with the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Community Objectives which aim to manage cisco as a forage base for lake trout, and when sustainable, to re-open a cisco fishery, for harvest opportunities. These proposed changes are endorsed by the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee and MNR’s Lake Simcoe Fisheries Management Committee.

The proposed regulatory options are not anticipated to increase the number of anglers on Lake Simcoe. However, they could increase the total number of angler hours on Lake Simcoe annually by providing additional recreational opportunities to existing fisheries. Angler reports of incidental catches of cisco have increased in recent years.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Lake Simcoe Fisheries Stakeholder Committee welcome your input on these proposed changes and all feedback received will inform the decision-making process.

You can provide your feedback through email at [email protected]. For more information, you can contact the Aurora District office at 905-713-7398. There is also an Environmental Registry Posting associated with these proposed changes. You can review this posting by going to the Environmental Registry website at http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/ and typing in the registry number 012-1601. All feedback through these avenues must be received by Tuesday May 20th.

Additionally, there will be three public open houses occurring around the watershed (see poster attached) including:

May 13th, 2014

5 – 6 pm or 7 – 8 pm

Orillia Museum of Art and History

30 Peter St S, Orillia, ON

May 21st, 2014

5 – 6 pm or 7 8 pm

Southshore Community Center

205 Lakeshore Drive, Barrie, ON

May 22nd, 2014

5 – 6 pm or 7 – 8 pm

De La Salle Chapel

1940 Metro Rd N, Jacksons Pt., ON

I never thought there'd be any demand to catch and keep Ciscoes to eat

Only ones I've seen have been beside my boat after being Horked out of a good sized laker or willy when they're tryin to spit the hook

Sooo after seein so many 2nd hand ciscoes----take a few pops and a double dog dare fore I would eat one :)

there was a major fishery for herring

I can remember people with 45 gallon drums on the back of their pickup trucks and they would fill them with herring

most were bound for the US border they could not be sold legally in canada but once in the US they could be sold.....

I don't like smoked herring but lots of people do

Fillet.. coat and deep fry and they taste like any other fish.

...but because many can't seem to tell the difference between a large herring and a Whitie.. maybe they should go with Option #2

Edited by irishfield

I know this is only a personal preference---but someone said they taste a lot like whitefish---and apologies for getting a bit off track here

I get told all the time how great whitefish are---and I've caught lots in my life

One spring my buddy in NW Ontario and I caught lots in the 6-8 lb range in the English river

I've tried them fried--baked---smoked---I hate em all

Like I can eat cats outta good water-----bass (unheard of to some)-----I've even tried canned sucker meat (again outta good water)

But the whitey population is really safe in my hands----so I guess so will ciscoes (unless I needs trout bait :))

Edited by bushart

Had my first cisco earlier this year (Not from Simcoe) - Tastes just like any other fish, has the same cucumber smell as whities, just not as pronounced.

Now I'm really interested to catch a few to use as bait. I'm not so interested in keeping whitefish, so both of these options are fine by me.

If only the limit was closer to 5 or 10, I wouldn't need to buy live bait anymore.

I find it odd that they are asking for input. Aren't these decisions supposed to be based on some actual science? What the heck do I know about the herring population on Simcoe? It looks good to me, but so what? Maybe it isn't.