Gas prices

BassMan11

The only reason I bought this was for the fuel economy. Combined with the mileage and the cheaper insurance I save nearly 2/3rd of cost of the vehicle just from owning my old jeep outright. Being a hunter, an fisherman and outdoors guy, I don't think I can drive a car, so this truck has been awesome for me. Of course, many people have it in for Dodge so I know its not for everyone. I would say though if you are in the market it is worth looking at even if you are a bowtie or ford guy. Dodge did a lot to the RAM line, two years running truck of the year for a reason.

Edited by jedimaster

This is calculated by hand as well as dash gauge averaged out. My day consists of a city drive to and from work no highway every day about 20km's round trip. Every other weekend I do make a round trip highway trip about 400km's(however the bulk of this is during rush hour across the city with rest of it on country road between 60-80kms), add in the usually tooling during the week to the gym, going out etc.. and I always fill up on my ever other weekend trip. I would say about 100 km's of my two week window are spent cruising at 100-110. The rest is far below. For gas I fill up part way into my two week trip at the same gas station. I have only rarely needed gas in between (just when I go ice fishing or towing)

Just for kicks I will walk out to my truck right now and take a snap of the dash with the fuel economy numbers. I am pretty sure its currently around 9.8 or something like that. The new Eco Diesle is supposed to be even better. I wish I had of waited a year and got that instead.

I currently have a 13 eccoboost. Just ordered the new new Dodge Eco Diesel, crew cab 4x4 with 5.5' box. Hope to have it within the next few weeks. Only reason I traded was specifically for the gas savings. I mostly do hwy driving and my Ford averages 12l/100k hwy. The new eco diesel advertises 7.1l/100k but Ontario gov mileage website lists it at 8l/100k. Still gona be a savings. Doing the math I look to save about 1000$ a year on gas. Time will tell but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Very good fuel mileage for the Dodge.

I just bought a 2008 Sierra 1500 All Terrain with the AFM 5.3L engine in it. I have read mixed reviews but overall seems like a better option than other trucks in the "price range". Regardless, I know I will be getting better mileage than my 2003 dakota... that thing was the worst.

Typical rich getting richer taking more money out our pockets. This will kill the recovery for sure. Families are probably already making adjustments to their budgets to compensate for the high prices. The impact to the economy does not take too long to hit at these prices. Big Oil is once again testing the $$$ waters to see how foar they can drive the price up before impacting the economy.

Guess we all need to back off on the pedals a bit... I did 800 km to the valley and back on Saturday and averaged 10.2l/100km with my 5.0 x F150. Cruise was set at 102.. yah in an 80.. don't worry I've had 52 years experience (36 driving.. 16 watching my dad do it) playing cat and mouse on hwy 7. My usual average is about 12.8 l / 100km and I just stayed out of the throttle leaving lights and such... either that or I was in no hurry to get to a funeral.

Edited by irishfield

Yah, I was really blown away by the gas numbers. If the eco diesle pans out wow do the other guys have ground to make up. 7.2/100 or 40mpg highway @ 420 pounds of tourque and a 9,200 lb towing capacity. It will be enough to raise the eye brows of even the most diehard ford and bowtie folk. It will be really interesting to see how that thing does.

Same here Wayne. On my 4/8 cyl Sierra I get between 8.5 and 11KM/100 when doing less than 110. I have noticed a huge difference round trip to st.clair and back. The Yukon was a 5.8 litre V8 which gave me good mileage under 110KM. This new beats it hands down. I guess that the the only way for all of to impact the oil companies is by everyone backing off and doing 100 KM on the highways. Not only will the gas inventories shoot upwards in a rapid fashion but our insurance rates would eventually go down due to less accidents. ( I can dream NO??)

25MPG US in the city? I find that extremely hard to believe. Are you actually hand calculating this or going by what the MFA tells you?

I just spent 5 minutes on Google and can't find a single case where anyone with a comparable truck is getting MPG even close to his claims driving strictly highway with a 2x4, let alone a 4x4 in the city. It's not very often (never?) that someone gets better MPG than the manufacturers claim...

Ramtruck.ca lists the following for comparable 2014's:

HFE 4x4 - Up to 25 mpg (11.4 L/100 km) City and 36 mpg (7.8 L/100 km) Highway

Non-HFE 4x4 - Up to 22 mpg (13.0 L/100 km) City and 33 mpg (8.5 L/100 km) Highway

Non-HFE 2x4 - Up to 23 mpg (12.4 L/100 km) City and 35 mpg (8.0 L/100 km) Highway

I guess it's time to contact Ram and let them know that their inflated numbers are actually too low.... :D

As for the ride height, a higher vehicle has more drag due to more are volume passing under the vehicles uneven undercarriage. This is why the Ram's with air suspension lower themselves when driving with the Aero mode.