Your thoughts on DND giving police forces military fighting vehicles

wow...did u see the video on youtube? does that look to you like "heat of a fight" ?!?! :D 20 armed cops there with tasers and the best they can do is shoot the guy 9 times :worthy: all my respect for Canadian police

There's a difference between 1 bullet and 9? Common denominator here is a guy on a TTC street car with a knife. I'm guessing if he doesn't do that, he doesn't end up dead. Imagine that!

Good Morning !!!!!

I got pulled over on the highway this morning by a cop. He walked up to the car and said "Papers"

I said "Scissors, I win !!!" and drove of leaveing him standing there shakeing his head.

Ha - that's great.

wow...did u see the video on youtube? does that look to you like "heat of a fight" ?!?! :D 20 armed cops there with tasers and the best they can do is shoot the guy 9 times :worthy: all my respect for Canadian police

The assailant is inside the bus, 20 cops are outside. How in the heck are they supposed to taser him? At some point, an officer has to enter the bus and face down an armed individual. Is the assailant going to charge, strike out or surrender. You cannot know that. That is the heat of the fight. That is what brings the adrenaline surge.

Easy to criticize from the comfort of a padded chair

Haven't you guys all seen robocop... Judge Dred... or so many others. Oh yah they are movies right? Well the reality is as long as there is a person behind a badge there is a chance of that person being just as mental as a person behind a butter knife. Its part of the risk. Now in reality yah this was not a good situation and the offender will and should face life in prison. IMO police shoudl be held accountable no different than the public would be. In fact maybe more strictly. Why? Not because I hate police that isn't the case. It's becase they signed up of there own free will to do a job and protect the public versus kill the public or take bribes, or play favorites, or discriminate. You pull your gun and jackhammer the trigger you should be held accountable. Of course I dont know the full story and non of the public will likely know the full story. Thats what the courts are for and thats where this should end.

Haven't you guys all seen robocop... Judge Dred... or so many others. Oh yah they are movies right? Well the reality is as long as there is a person behind a badge there is a chance of that person being just as mental as a person behind a butter knife. Its part of the risk. Now in reality yah this was not a good situation and the offender will and should face life in prison. IMO police shoudl be held accountable no different than the public would be. In fact maybe more strictly. Why? Not because I hate police that isn't the case. It's becase they signed up of there own free will to do a job and protect the public versus kill the public or take bribes, or play favorites, or discriminate. You pull your gun and jackhammer the trigger you should be held accountable. Of course I dont know the full story and non of the public will likely know the full story. Thats what the courts are for and thats where this should end.

Ummm..... We are, not everything is released to the public. We are so heavily scrutinized that it would drive the average person a little nuts not just by the public but our bosses are out to nail us for anything. In fact, the amount of discipline that's handed out is a promotional requirement as of late.

Yes, and rightly so. Its a tough job. Its an honor to be allowed to be an officer and should be treated as such and I know it is by the vast majority. I very much respect the pains police go through, however its a chosen one and the scrutiny should be well documented and described as part of the job at the onset. I am not saying police should be hung from there heels in the middle of town square. Just as long as the bad apples are weeded out and its not swept under the table. Noone wants the good cops off the street. Just the crazies. :)

Every incident involving a police officer where force is used is reviewed. They are held accountable and have a system to curtail erratic behavior thru fines and penalties that can include criminal prosecution what more do you want? Sure they don't publish the results in the paper because it would undermine the polices image and most people would consider it boring.

The truth is that, despite all the training and practice, one never knows how a person will react in a given violent encounter. Especially a first time weapons encounter. Will the shooter make one calculated and controlled shot, or will he lose control, let the adrenaline take over, and empty the magazine. In the moment it is all too easy to let the "rush" take over. I had small arms instructors with experience from both WW II and Korea who admitted they themselves had, in the heat of a fight, fire blindly in the direction of a target rather than pick a target (also known as the American method).

Although this may explain the behavior, it does not excuse it. In my opinion the officer in question failed miserably

In a fire fight the US military teaches us to aim for a target and if one is not visible to fire in the direction of the last known location to keep them from popping up and shooting back. While it cost a little more in ammo it has saved countless lives. Besides WE all love the smell of cordite in the morning. lol

Art

Every incident involving a police officer where force is used is reviewed. They are held accountable and have a system to curtail erratic behavior thru fines and penalties that can include criminal prosecution what more do you want? Sure they don't publish the results in the paper because it would undermine the polices image and most people would consider it boring.

In a fire fight the US military teaches us to aim for a target and if one is not visible to fire in the direction of the last known location to keep them from popping up and shooting back. While it cost a little more in ammo it has saved countless lives. Besides WE all love the smell of cordite in the morning. lol

Art

If the public only knew lol....6 hours for scratching a cruiser, 36 hours for an inappropriate comment, loss of job because of a false allegation by a crazy ex wife....

I am the proud friend of a few officers in the area. One of my friends calls me when he has "time off" to go fishing. He seems to get in trouble most often when the striper bass are running.lol

Art

I guess you must have forgot the case of a man on a bus who nearly cut a guys head off with a small knife eh? You never know what your dealing with. That being said the cop you are referring to will have his day, and rightfully so. There is no such thing as a small weapon they can all kill.

not to mention there is no stopping power with a Glock. You shoot till the threat is stopped. I have seen incidents where a person was hit 16 times by a Glock and keep on going. And studies have shown that the safe distance when deal with a knife is 21 feet

That is where the good old Webley has a distinct advantage :whistling:

What is an overpaid meter maid gonna need an armoured car for? Up to $100,000? Nice babysitting gig eh?

Zombies are already here Bill. How many kids and adults are hopped out on one kind of script or another for sometimes real and mostly contrived ailments and illnesses?

And the kid on the bus "alone" was more harm to himself than to the steroid laden gym rat(surrounded by 10 more cops) that murdered him.

Wow, you seem to be upset. Maybe a break from the internet for a few months might help, lol. Lots of time to read Infowars and prepare your shelter for the fallout that's coming. Oh yeah, don't forget the zombies.

Was this another April fools joke? considering the topic started on the 1st? kind of like the Trans Canada Pipe line deal with Ontario Parks?

I haven't looked into it but that was just my thought, however I'm going to go look now.

Edited by DynamicBear