Your thoughts on DND giving police forces military fighting vehicles

Saw this today and thought what the heck is going on. I cant think of one reason why local police forces need 10 ton armoured plated military vehicles. Oh, maybe to intimidate the public.

The D.N.D. gives them away free but probably doesn't tell them how much maintenance and training will cost them. And who is going to pay for all this? You know who the taxpayers who else. I see this happening state side as well. I said it before and will say it again, As every day goes by we are becoming more and more a police state, Watch them start getting the new canpat uniforms to go with the fighting armour vehicles. Whats your thoughts on this?

Some people that have experienced police states may take exception to your comment...compared to what I have seen on the world news we have it pretty good IMHO!!!

One of those dinky toys may have come in handy when those idiots burned the police car in Toronto a few years ago!!!

I've been around this big ole country for a very long time and never once have I EVER had a problem with our police so I'm not too concerned if they pick up some new equipment if they think it's needed.

Durham Regional Police got one last spring. It was given to them General Dynamic Land Systems. They call it a Tactical Rescue Vehicle (TRV). I have no problem with it as long as they don't mount a gun or cannon on it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/11/durham_regional_police_boast_biggest_and_best_toy_of_all_an_armoured_personnel_carrier_hume.html

I see those vehicles almost every day where I work, I'm sure they are quite useful for what they are designed for. The cost of operating them is off the deep end for fuel alone. As for the "tactical" uniforms, I strongly believe thats a complete waste of money. Dressed up in camo uniforms in the middle of town does nothing more than intimidate people, even the dark or black uniforms do not instill trust. Somewhere a while back there was a study done, the first word that came up to describe them was Gestapo.

I've been around this big ole country for a very long time and never once have I EVER had a problem with our police so I'm not too concerned if they pick up some new equipment if they think it's needed.

Well said.if this gives them 1 up on the "bad guys",GOOD

X2

We the tax payer have already paid for them through the nose, I really don't want to see them scrapped for the metal. Lets put them to some good use!

Edited by Big Cliff

Those armoured vehicles aren't free. I know YRP and London had to pay for them.

They are used for specific reasons and not for a police state. If you think that then give your head a shake. Those armoured vehicles are used to avoid what has happened with heavy armed people fleeing from police. I know London was te first to get theirs because of an incident involving a high speed chase with bandits armed with AK47s. Contrary to popular believe a rifle round will go through a cop car like a knife through warm butter.

They use as much gas as a transport truck and aren't driven on an everyday basis.

Maybe using the term Police State wasn't proper and sorry if I offended anyone. But cops with this stuff to me is wrong. Just because some bandit once in a blue moon has a AK-47. So does this mean we need to outfit our cops with military equipment?. If the equipment from the military is good enough to give away to police forces it would probably be better used if they handed it out to the militia (Reserve) units across the country that are in deplorable shape for kit. They would love to have those vehicles for training. And that's what they were built for. Just because they do it in States and other countries doesn't mean its required here. Last time I checked we were in Canada. Just my opinion.

Armed conflicts in the GTa and running into armed offenders happens more than you realize and more than the media releases. I'd rather be prepared with the equipment for a once in a blue moon incident than attend a police funeral because the proper equipment wasn't there.

So you would rather have a call out to part time soldiers who may live an hour or more away to deal with a situation occurring than well trained ERU or "SWAT" officers who are better trained and train more often than reservists?

I am happy we have them in in the states. A strong deterrent is always better than a full blown conflict. One of the things that keeps people from being buttheads down here is you don't know if the guy you so quickly want to have a fight with has as we say brought a gun to a knife fight. This is not a thought pattern that everyone has but it is one that I was raised with so it does not offend me. I did a tour in the military with the special forces (SeaBees) so everyone can choose their beliefs and express them publicly.

Art

I guess im one of those "tinfoil hat" guys bill refers too lol. Dont get me wrong, in really hard situations i would be happy if the police have the necessary equipment to be safe, as long as it's not abused. More and more i see police in military gear with military equipment and too me thats just scary. Wouldn't be as worrisome if the government would leave our gun rights alone. Anyhow, in my area the police are pretty awesome, never seen or heard of much negative.

Edited by manitoubass2

Why remove it? Great mounting point for a water cannon. Much safer means of dispersing rioters than the shield line.

how often do we have riots???? Buy military gear for the odd chance a canadian hockey team loses the Stanley cup playoffs? Frig. We might have protests, but thats the right of the people

I don't want to see cops getting killed either. But they all know what can happen when they sign up. If you cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen. If you want to act like soldiers then join the D.N.D. All this will do is make the bad guys get bigger weapons like R.P.G's it never ends.

I don't want to see cops getting killed either. But they all know what can happen when they sign up. If you cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen. If you want to act like soldiers then join the D.N.D. All this will do is make the bad guys get bigger weapons like R.P.G's it never ends.

Who's acting like a soldier? The armoured vehicles aren't driven daily like cruisers. They're used in emergency situations. No one but ERU and K9 wear tactical uniforms. So I don't see anyone playing GI Joe