Spring Crappie Baits?

mike rousseau

I have a hard enough time finding the Fin-S minnows and heads, so I refuse to disclose any info on them LOL.

What I will say: if you find them, load up on them. I buy them all when I see them. Hard to find them for sure. The heads even harder!

S.

I have a hard enough time finding the Fin-S minnows and heads, so I refuse to disclose any info on them LOL.

What I will say: if you find them, load up on them. I buy them all when I see them. Hard to find them for sure. The heads even harder!

S.

Or you can just order all you'd ever want directly from Lunker City themselves..

http://www.lunkercity.com/

I use to order direct from them because finding stuff locally was a PITA. However a bait shop near the cottage carries there stuff now. So if I go up on the weekend and talk to Mark he usually has my order waiting for me the following weekend.

BTW ordering direct was dead easy....good service... no complaints. It's just cheaper to get my stuff local now.

So far the best bait I have used for Crappie is the micro Lindy Watsit jig in red. I started using them last year and was just insane how well they worked for me. Highly recommend them!

I saw these on a fishing show and thought they would be great for crappie but couldn't find any in our local stores...

I love fin-s minnows in Arkansas shad color for early season perching. However, the gulp minnows out fish the fin-s minnows badly for crappie on every lake I fish including Cliff's lake. I usually clip a bit off the front end to downsize them a bit.

On a side note, I am thinking of exploring my childhood stomping grounds for crappie this spring in hopes of finding a peaceful place to crappie fish. Anyone interested in a multi boat scouting mission in may up there. Lots of good looking bays in the South Bay area.

Landry

I love fin-s minnows in Arkansas shad color for early season perching. However, the gulp minnows out fish the fin-s minnows badly for crappie on every lake I fish including Cliff's lake. I usually clip a bit off the front end to downsize them a bit.

On a side note, I am thinking of exploring my childhood stomping grounds for crappie this spring in hopes of finding a peaceful place to crappie fish. Anyone interested in a multi boat scouting mission in may up there. Lots of good looking bays in the South Bay area.

Landry

Isn't it funny how what works for one doesn't work for another? I've tried the Gulp minnows and didn't do well on them at all and knocked the heck out of the crappie with the FinS ones. I wonder how all the variables affect the productivity of any given bait.

Hook size, line weight, line color, even the type of line. I have seen this with a lot of different baits over the years to the point where I have had two rods rigged with exactly the same bait but different line combinations, the one rod would be producing, the other rod wouldn't get a hit. Even how you tie some lures on to your line seems to make a huge difference. I have one lure that I love to use for spring walleye, if I attach it with a swivel I'll still get some fish but if I tie it directly on to the line it will out fish live bait every time (Beans can tell you, he has seen it first hand). We have even had two guys fishing side by side with the same lure, one guy hamering them, the other guy lucky to get a hit.

I remember fishing in Quinty one spring with a very good friend, (side by each in the same boat) he couldn't get a hit for love or money and I was just pounding them. I finally took my lure off and gave it to him, he still couldn't get a hit. Only thing different was our line/rod configuration. I'd love to know the science behind all of this! I have seen it happen too often for it to just be blind luck!

Cliff I have often fished with my brother Joe using the same bait and him even showing me the cadence of his retrieves and he out fished me easily two to one. It has to do with something subtle even to the point of 1/2 second slack line at the beginning for a foot of extra depth to lifting the rod and extra 2 foot on a jig out. When we have a pattern that is producing we actually will call out the cadence till the other one of us starts to catch fish.

Art

I used to fish with a guy who is a jeweller and modern-day goldsmith. He had feeling in his fingers that most mortals can only dream about, and routinely would outfish me many fish to one. It was a VERY humbling experience...............

Doug

I used to fish with a guy who is a jeweller and modern-day goldsmith. He had feeling in his fingers that most mortals can only dream about, and routinely would outfish me many fish to one. It was a VERY humbling experience...............

Doug

Braid has made everyone have super duper spidey senses these days :)

I saw these on a fishing show and thought they would be great for crappie but couldn't find any in our local stores...

I believe I picked them up at Lebarons and recently BPS. Stocking up on them. There is another bait I use which I will try to post a pic of. They come in plastic tubes but no name on them and have a paddle tail. They work quite well too. I think the action of the tail is the key!

Well

Found some Lindy watzit grubs... My usual 2.5" gulp minnows... Some tubes and tube heads.... Berkley ripple shads... All at SAIL... And a few colors (clear/silver flake... Pink... And a blue/green) of fin s minnows at another little shop I know in Ottawa...

And on the note of those special lunker city jig heads... Northland makes a similar design... Got some to try... Picked up 1/16 and 1/8... They have 2 cones on the collar... Look good

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=657

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I believe I picked them up at Lebarons and recently BPS. Stocking up on them. There is another bait I use which I will try to post a pic of. They come in plastic tubes but no name on them and have a paddle tail. They work quite well too. I think the action of the tail is the key!

Does it look like a worm with a ball on the tail...?

I used those before... Called "YZ" if I remember right

Does it look like a worm with a ball on the tail...?

I used those before... Called "YZ" if I remember right

It has a worm like body with a half a ball on the tail. So the end is flat. That thing is so sensitive, the tail moves like crazy. they are just hard to find though. I found the orange one out fished the other colours they had available.

It has a worm like body with a half a ball on the tail. So the end is flat. That thing is so sensitive, the tail moves like crazy. they are just hard to find though. I found the orange one out fished the other colours they had available.

If it's the one I'm thinking of the guy that made/distributed them died a few years back... Some guys I know bought up everything they could find...

If it's the one I'm thinking of the guy that made/distributed them died a few years back... Some guys I know bought up everything they could find...

That is unfortunate, he obviously knew his craft. The last time I seen them was in the bait shop in Bewdley. Next time I am there I will have to check on them again. They are excellent baits for all panfish.

Nice pick up mike! This watsit jigs work well for walleye during the mayfly hatch too!I'm surprised no one has mentioned spinners more. I found out last year that casting walleye spinners with a small keel sinker and nose hooked berkley powerbait minnows in emerald shiner color was rediculously good, and fun! Most of all its easy to cover water and you can fish from shallow to deep water. Crappie just smash these, the hits resemble bass more then crappie. I had a lot of success last year doing this, and it's already my plan for slabs this spring. I love fishing them shallow1-8 fow

Edited by manitoubass2