Got my musky back from Advanced Taxidermy

Handlebarz

Very nice mount Mike! Pete is right on the money on all the positive factors in getting a replica. Nice mount as well!

There are the purist who feel the only mount worthy is a skin mount but they just won't stand the test of time. I have a walleye on the wall from advanced that was done very early in their career. Its 25 years old and it looks like the day I received it! I've had to clean it a couple of times and its amazing how durable the finish is. My brother and friends have had mounts done as well over the years and they just got better. Especially with inside the mouth and gill details. Its best to take lots of pictures as soon as you can. They are masters in painting every detail.

I'm still hunting for a G Bay ski over 50! If I get one its only a five minute drive to their current location. Always nice to have an excuse to drop in and see what is in their show room waiting for pick-up.

Wow... $1400 with no background art...

That's getting expensive...

My dad got a 54" done with driftwood and rock/sand lake bottom etc... for $1000... But that was 20 years ago...

Mike things have changed huge in 20 years with the replicas I did not want a background so I could easily use it for display at our booth.

Im glad Im not the only one that thought I looked trimmer and a studster in my younger years Lew. :D

Great photo. Not meaning to high jack yer thread here Sir Parker. :oops:

No biggie it's nice to see old mounts and how far things have come with what they can do from pictures. We have two old skin mounts here that are 25 years old and show it one is a SM bass the other a perch both cost less then $30 mounted on wood they hold a huge place in my heart but they look their age.

If anyone wants to share there fish in this thread please do I love to see them I will post the other two tomorrow or later in the week. I will also repost dads walleye I had done at advanced for him.

Congratulations on the fish and the mount. One of the concerns I have with replica mounts is what they are, a replica. For me, they loose the realistic charm that a skin mount provides. There is no doubt that Shawn and James at Advanced are very good at what they do, and many think they are the best, I don't dispute that.

I think the reason why skin mounts get a lot of bad press is because there are a lot of bad skin mounts out there. Around 25 years ago I signed up for a special interest night course on taxidermy at a Toronto high school and it was there I met Grant. He seemed passionate about his craft and confident in his ability. He always stressed quality. The next year he held the class in his shop at Queen and Ossington and what an experience that was. Anyway, making a long story short, with Grant's help I did a skin mount on an 8lb walleye which to this day looks as good as the day it was completed. I even used the real gills. IMO nothing beats a properly done skin mount. I could only find a couple pictures of it where it now temporarily rests as you can see from the one photo, I am in the middle of renovating my cottage.

mount.jpg

room.jpg

Skin mounts can be very good if done properly; you just have to go to some of the taxidermy competitions to see the quality that some can put out. It's all in the quality of supplies used and the skill of painting. Even replicas can be critiqued to show the flaws. They just don't shrink and stretch with changes in humidity. I will post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it on a reply.

Skin mounts can look great but no matter what a fish has to be kept. I have a couple old skin mounts but when it came to a musky if this size there is no way I am keeping one to save money on a skin mount. It takes so many years for that big girl to get to 54" it's the same as dads walleye we let it go and he kept some smaller ones for lunch.

I don't know that I will get another done for myself but if my wife or kids want one of a big fish they will get I know I will buy them one.