Opinions on new ATV's

Rod Caster

Well, you may be right but I have never had to tow a Polaris out of the bush. I have never had to be towed out of the bush ( in 14 years) ! I have had to tow more than one Yamaha (and a few other makes)out of the bush with my Polaris. Oh, and now you know at least one guy that traded his Polaris for a newer Polaris and has no regrets what so ever.

My machines are WORK machines but I also trail ride with them, use them for ice fishing, hunting...... I do most of the regular maintainance on them myself so maybe that is the reason I have such good luck on them.

I didn't say you'll never find a happy Polaris owner, I said it's rare to find one ;) The guys who maintain their Polaris' regularly still have plenty of issues due to poor quality builds, even on machines that are only a year or two old.

You really get to see how machines hold up on the long 50-75 km runs which typically consist of 1/3 field running up to 100 km/h, 1/3 trails/regular mudding, and 1/3 "this is stupid, why are we doing this" mudding, hill climbing, and water running. By the end of these 12-14 hour+ days there are always machines getting towed back and literally every time the majority are Polaris' and Cat's. They simply can't handle the beating our style of riding puts on them.

If anyone in the Brantford area wants to have some fun this year send me a pm and we'll get together for a ride or two. We typically ride on the reserve where there's tons of trails and the police don't care if you ride on the roads. There's a poker run next month which usually has 100 ATV's...

Ok, so I'll present it like this.

What would you choose if the following facts are true:

Polaris 400 for $6,600 out the door

Or

Yamaha Kodiak 450 non-p/sfor $8,300 out the door

I would take the yamaha every time. If I didn't have the extra scratch, I'd wait or I would look for a few year old model and buy used. I bought mine with under 800km in mint condition for significantly less dollars than a new machine, and for all intents and purposes it was barely broken in.

Yamaha Kodiak without thinking. We have two at work that are bush and trail ridden in the warmer months, all winter they are used for parking lot plowing. The winter plowing is not nice on them, there's a bunch of numpties at work that could break cement eggs given enough time, but they are still running, one has close to 10,000, the other around 7000 with minimal maintenance, twice a year oil changes and check the brakes. You get what you pay for, and you don't get much when you cheap out, it tends to add up at the other end in the maintenance shop

You get what you pay for, and you don't get much when you cheap out, it tends to add up at the other end in the maintenance shop

That old adage took me a long time to learn, but I agree wholeheartedly. Put in simpler terms, it's $1700. Amortize that over 10 years and it's peanuts. In 10 years the Polaris will probably be long since sold, but I would put money on the Yamaha being fit for another 10 years of service. The oldest honda at my camp is 28 years old this season. The oldest Yamaha at least 20. We still use them every year, and they require very little maintenance. The honda has literally been beat half to death, and still keeps ticking along. In all things, you get what you pay for! Anyway, I won't harp on your thread anymore. Good luck with whatever you go with!

Edited by porkpie

Hey Rod Caster if I were you I would stay away from the Artic Cat I am speaking from experience I operate a 5 acre water front resort and have been using a 660 v twin since 2006 first 2 years were ok but after that the bike had become a money pit I am done with it and am going with a Polaris the reason I am choosing Polaris as I have friends who live on the lake rear round and use there Polaris 500 for all the work around there cottages and they also use them on our hunting trips and ice fishing outings and they have been quite happy with there performance and the other Resort operator on the lake has been using Polaris atvs for the last few years and has been quite satisfied with there performance also so I am going to give the Polaris a try.

Cheers Mitch...

Thanks Mitch. I've been warned about Arctic Cats (even from an Arctic Cat/Yamaha dealer!).

I still have affinity for the Polaris', but I'm leaning towards Yamaha/Suzuki now... nothing but consistently good reviews (Yammy more than Suzuki)

No problem what ever decision you make enjoy the ride.

Cheers Mitch.....

I have a 2012 Polaris 500 used primarily for ice fishing. Price was $6500.00 including a 3,000 lb winch, add tax 7500.00 out the door. At the time of purchase I could not justify

$10,000 plus tax for a 650 Can Am. As stated by the above posts, I guess it's all in how much heavy duty work you are going to inflict on your machine. I'm an older gentle rider so I didn't see the need to spend the extra $$$. So far my bike has zero issues. With the extra money saved on the Polaris I was able to purchase important stuff like new rods, reels, an ice flasher & beer!

I have the 500 king quad,the 400 has a solid rear axle and no locking front differential.the difference between in ride and clearance for the independent rear end make it a must and the locking front diff is a godsend in a lot of situations.You will probably not notice the difference in engine size most of the time.

vance

Ok, so I'll present it like this.

What would you choose if the following facts are true:

Polaris 400 for $6,600 out the door

Or

Yamaha Kodiak 450 non-p/sfor $8,300 out the door

I would choose a new Kodiak from the US or a lightly used local machine. I looked into importing a 700 and after everything was said and done I would have saved $2500 buying a new machine from the US. A Kodiak costs less, but I'd still think you could save $1500 or more.

In 2009 I bought my 07 Grizzly 700 with power steering, low km's, two sets of good tires, warn winch, plow, rear storage box, and independent 5 year warranty for $8,500 when local dealers were selling just the base machine for $11,000 out the door so it would have been over $13,000 new with everything I have. As with automobiles, you'll save a ton of money buying used over new.

It's much easier to tell how an ATV has been used and maintained when compared to trucks and cars. If you happen to find a used machine in my area that you're interested in I will check it out for you before you make the long drive to pick it up.

Have you used a machine with power steering? Literally every single person I've spoken too who have it wouldn't buy a machine without it. Yes, it makes that much of a difference! With EPS you can have it in 4x4 and drive one handed through holes and very rough terrain where those on non EPS machines are forced to use two hands or risk losing control. I've rode a ton of machines with and without EPS and the non EPS machines will always wear you out much quicker no matter how old or fit you are. You'll experience far less fatigue, much less kickback (when your front tires hit rocks, logs, etc), and just have an overall better experience.

Ya, that's a good site Lew. Thanks. Never seen it before.

I'm not keen on buying from over the border...a transaction like that would intimidate me too much...maybe if I lived in Southern Ontario it would be easier for me to consider.

It's hard to find a good 'lightly used' machine in Northern Ontario. It's not impossible and I'm always looking for deals like that.

Now I'm down to:

Yamaha Kodiak 450. (will look into EPS)

Suzuki King Quad 400

Edited by Rod Caster

Unless you're a gorilla, (don't know your age), EPS is the cats meow. Although not recommended you can easily steer the ATV with one hand with virtually no shoulder wrenching feedback. We did a 200+ km trek 2 years ago in the fall around Temiscamingue one weekend and another last summer, about 120km in Grey Bruce. No aches and pains for me.

I can only tell you the experience I have had with ATV's, I've owned both Polaris and Yamaha.

One of my 2 polaris' (magnum 325) did have a break down, an oil line ruptured and was fixed under warranty. 2 months later it was stolen :angry: .

I took the insurance money and bought a magnum 500. WOW! Great ride and lots of power. I took that machine all over and beat it like it owed me money and it still kept going.

After a few years with no issues, I sold it as I wanted a side x side to get me to the backwoods fishing holes. I got a Yamaha Rhino 450. Double Wow! Amazing machine. If the Kodiak has the same engine I would give it a thumbs up. That engine never quit. I had it 4 years and no problems.

I can understand the want for new, but the cost is at the top also. I went used and was/am very happy with what I have. The guy I bought from gave a short warranty. He is still going strong. He is buying the bikes from the u.s. mainly and the cost reflects. I was able to haggle the taxes included in his asking price since he is a "dealer", I believe I worked in the license fee also. Check his site out. "Wild bills rv and atv" It might be worth the drive to get a almost new bike with a few more options and cc's then you are pricing new. As a side note I learnt that the best upgrade on any bike you purchase is in the tires. I did and the difference was very noticeable.

My Suzuki's are older so no power steering but I wish they had . Pretty well all the trails to my backwoods fishing spots are rough with a lot of rock , mud and the odd small tree

but after riding these trails I feel like I have been beatin up pretty good especially that ride back after a weekend of fishing. You really feel it in the arms and shoulders !

So if I were you I would definitely spring for the power steering , you will thank us later and really over the term it is a small price to pay for " trail luxury"

Good luck on your choices , you really can't go wrong with either of them and as well perfect CC's . Not to big, not to small :good:

I have my doubts with finding a used machine that will serve you well and save you much after you go through it to bring it back to spec..

There are two problems with finding a good atv used. The biggest being there is no real down season and for some reason most ppl think they are made of gold and don't depreciate. Look through auto trader or kijiji. Bikes that are 5-10 years old and they are asking over 4000 for? Most ppl just ride them till they break and only fix what broken. It may look clean but when you get it home and tear it down you learn the truth and it will be too late. A good indicator is worn out tires. If they did not replace them what else didn't they maintain?