Towing question

fishnguy

I've never owned a boat larger than a small 14 footer with small outboard but am looking at a significantly larger new boat. I have a question for people who do more towing.

I own a 2012 Toyota Sienna with 3500lb towing capacity. It's front wheel drive.

The boat I'm looking at has a hull weight of about 1450lbs, and motors that collectively weigh about 500lbs (115hp and 9.9 kicker). Not sure what the trailer would weigh, but I'm guessing that by the time you add in gear, it's probably all close to 3000lbs.

For those who do a lot of towing, would this make you nervous?

Thanks

I have been there and done that with my 06 Grand Caravan with no problems. Have also done it with a 2wd 1/2 ton pick up.

You know it is there with the van, but don't feel it much with the truck. I never got stuck at a ramp with either, but also choose and used them with good judgement.

Entropy

the front wheel drive vehicle would make me a little nervous.....

when you are launching remember that the tongue weight is pushing down on your back end ...causing your front end to lift...which equals to little or no traction

been there and have experienced it

btw...a 14 ft'er with a 90?? AND a kicker??

sounds a little over pwered

the front wheel drive vehicle would make me a little nervous.....

when you are launching remember that the tongue weight is pushing down on your back end ...causing your front end to lift...which equals to little or no traction

been there and have experienced it

btw...a 14 ft'er with a 90?? AND a kicker??

sounds a little over pwered

No, it's a 17.5 foot

I have been there and done that with my 06 Grand Caravan with no problems. Have also done it with a 2wd 1/2 ton pick up.

You know it is there with the van, but don't feel it much with the truck. I never got stuck at a ramp with either, but also choose and used them with good judgement.

Entropy

Can I ask what size boat you were launching and what the tow capacity was on the caravan?

fishguy you will be pushing very close to the stated limit of your tow vehicle,

Generally on top of the weight of your boat, trailer & motors you have to add the weight of everything else in the boat & vehicle minus 1 standard weight driver.(180 lbs) Add a couple of bigger buddies & you will be pushing it.

I tow a 16' crestliner fish hawk with a mini van rated to 3500lb - boat is 900, trailer 500 and motor 300 + extras at about 200 = 1900 lbs.

I would not tow anything heavier with a minivan. Remember that 3500 includes your passenger weight too. And i believe these minivan towing weights are exaggerated anyways.

I have not had any ramp issues but stopping quickly while enroute is the biggest concern, especially in rain and especially with front wheel drive.

If you go with a mini van you better get trailer brakes for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to tow 3000 lbs you better have yourself a solid V8 or you can guarantee you will have engine, brake and tranny issues. Doesn't matter what your owners manual says. If you have a V6, you should upgrade the tranny but braking will be your biggest hurdle. Trailer brakes will help if you have them on your trailer. But still, you're taking a chance. 4 wheel drive is your best friend at boat launches.

You'll hear of guys saying they've never had an issue towing over and above what they should, but it only takes one time to have a serious accident. In my opinion, you have to pay to play so upgrade your towing vehicle.

My explorer is 8500 lbs rated,3500lbs off the bumper.My boat is close to 3500lbs with gear and people.It runs not bad at highway speeds,in town or anywhere there is stop and go,,no your limits.It may be not you but some IDIOT pulls in front of you and throws on the brakes,you better be ready.Always watch the other guy,he may think your just a van!

Edited by aplumma
stop with the cussing.

My truck was better at pulling, but my van was better at breaking.

I have towed with both vehicles packed front to back and top to bottom, plus 2 adults and 2 kids. For a family, the van was the only option I had and it worked great, just changed the trany fluid an extra time, and it is still going strong, hauling fire wood and canoes and kayaks now.

My truck would over heat the breaks with the boat on, even had front pads fall off while on a 5 hr drive with my baby boy beside me and my wife, towing the boat up and down hills.

My boat pushed the tuck though an intersection on wet pavement one day too, but that never happened with the van, but it has ABS, so .....

Give it a try and see how it goes, put a trany cooler in and change the oil and trany fluid a bit sooner than normal and don't drive crazy.

Or spend a bunch of money and go buy a 4wd truck, if you have the money to switch vehicles and extra gas.

Entropy

Listen to the voice in your head if you have a doubt as to whether your vehicle will stop or go safely then you know the answer already. I personally subscribe to the theory of "bringing a gun to a knife fight." The accident that can occur from an overloaded vehicle no matter how safe a driver you are will be yours to live with even if it was not your fault.

Art

Listen to the voice in your head if you have a doubt as to whether your vehicle will stop or go safely then you know the answer already. I personally subscribe to the theory of "bringing a gun to a knife fight." The accident that can occur from an overloaded vehicle no matter how safe a driver you are will be yours to live with even if it was not your fault.

Art

Good point Art.

So fishnguy how much do you want for that Sienna?

I put an electric brake controller on my truck to be legal to tow a flat bed trailer once to move 5000 lb of concrete plus the 2000 lbs in my truck and holy s......what a difference. I will never buy a boat trailer again without brakes.........

vance

Nothing worse than towing your boat to your destination on pins and needles worrying about whether or not you're going to make it there. Piece of mind and safety of others should be a priority.

The other issue is if you do get into an accident, be sure insurance companies will investigate whether or not you were using good towing sense or negligence was at play. And any lawyer will argue the later in a personal lawsuit.

I really never understand why people take chances.....

I towed a 16 foot dual console Starcraft with our Sienna for a year. The whole package comes in around the same weight as yours. We have the big V6 in the van, and it is rated for the same as yours. Never had any issues on the ramps, never over heated and tranny is still solid - even Burwell where a lot of front wheel vehicles spin out. Our Sienna came equipped with a tranny cooler (I checked before I started pulling it), BUT, the van rides so low to the ground that even without a load in the back, with the boat on your clearance is a real issue. So you need to get a tongue with a big vertical raise on it and drive slow on a lot or roads. On more than one occasion when accessing a lake, I bottomed out - did it once on the Restoule access road, only going 60 in an 80 zone. I thought about adding air shocks to the van, but in the end just decided to buy a truck as my old SUV was in need of replacement. Now the Mrs has her taxi for running around when I'm on the water.

Nothing worse than towing your boat to your destination on pins and needles worrying about whether or not you're going to make it there. Piece of mind and safety of others should be a priority.

The other issue is if you do get into an accident, be sure insurance companies will investigate whether or not you were using good towing sense or negligence was at play. And any lawyer will argue the later in a personal lawsuit.

I really never understand why people take chances.....

Me too...comes down to a lot of people being cheap and in a lot of cases dumb as a brick!!!

If you don't have the funds to buy a better towing vehicle you should definitely look into transmission and oil coolers to prolong the life of your vehicle along with adding electric trailer brakes. Buying some quality tires would also be a good idea to help with traction on wet roads and at the ramp.

Loading the boat and van properly to evenly distribute the weight will also make a huge difference in terms of ride and handling.

I tow a 89 Ranger loaded with tackle and gear for a week in Canada every year plus lots of 2 hour trips around my area. It is a 13 hour drive if we go straight thru. I am at 5500 to 6000 lbs and I tow with a 4x4 F150 Eco Boost with trailer package and 3.72 gear set. I do not even feel the boat behind me and that is what I am comfortable with. I have been cut off and made evasive actions with this load and controlled it safely without fear of causing further danger to others. Why would you accept anything less than that? I see more people up North towing boats with cars and light vans that couldn't stop if they had to than I do here in the States. The police here can and will pull you over and ticket or tow you if you are overloaded. Carpet installers and landscaping companies are huge offenders most of our tow vehicles are trucks that are rated for the job. I guess the cost of fuel is the big difference but to buy a vehicle that can't do the job you want to save a few bucks in fuel is to put a price tag on others safety.

Art

I think you'll be fine as long as you taker easy, and pick good ramps. A lot of people here are a little over cautious if you ask me.

S.

I think what you mean to say by "taker easy and pick good ramps" is your vehicle is inadequate, right?

I'd rather be over cautious than under prepared especially when you're involving the safety of yourself and others.

Again I ask, why take a chance?