Shipping a fishing rod.

Parnelly

Hey guys, Just wanted to ask about and get any tips if possible on how to ship my Ugly Stik. I have an 8' rod that needs to go back to shakespear. The screw down portion(plastic) that holds the reel on has cracked. It is still under warranty, and I was just wondering if any members here have any suggestions for packing to send it back. I have never shipped a fishing rod before and after reading shakespears website, I want to make sure it arrives with no further damage as they will not cover shipping damage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben.

Go to a place that sells carpet they have a heavy cardboard tube you can ship in. Put the rod in the tube with some bubble wrap and then wrap tape on the end and leave a tag end. Take the tag end out of the tube and tape to the outside of the tube to keep it from sliding. Place a cardboard discs on the end and tape close. Check the price of shipping versus the cost of the rod before sending it in oversized packages and tubes are pricey.

Art

not sure if its worth all the hassle on a ugly stick...tube is like $10-15 and shipping will be $30-50.

I was thinking the same thing especially if your responsible for shipping charges x 2...good excuse to go shopping!!!

My son broke a 75 dollar rod this year under warranty we figured by the time we paid the shipping fees to and from the USA it was not worth It. We now have a 75 dollar tomato stick!!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I contacted Shakespeare once again and as it turns out I did not have to return ship the broken rod.

Here is the rod in question.

UglyStick002_zpsa99260df.jpg

UglyStick003_zps03ef0036.jpg

After making contact with Shakespeare, they informed me all I need to do is send them the service fee's and they would replace the rod. They said it would arrive in 3 to 4 weeks. Well it only took about 4 days for the new rod to arrive.

Here is the replacement rod they sent me.

IMG_20140301_200928_zpsks89bptj.jpg

IMG_20140301_200956_zpsoxhuc1q8.jpg

IMG_20140301_200909_zpsopv7u1fp.jpg

Looks like they redisgned the problem area on this model. I have to say that Shakespeare has great customer service, and im quite happy with this replacement. Cant wait to try it out.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice/information.

Ben.