Sportsmen's Show ?

Kawartha Kev

Was there for most of the day today meeting with various people and schmoozing.

It is what it is. Definitely a shadow of what it used to be in its glory days, but not a bad way to kill an afternoon. Especially in the midst of this crappy winter.

Don't go there looking for deals though, you'll be disapointed.

The last one I attended was a couple years back at the convention center, and that was a horrible venue.

The Direct Energy building at the Ex is phenominal in comparison.

It is what it is. Definitely a shadow of what it used to be in its glory days,

That,s the part I cant get past by Mike. Back when it was eye opening and entertaining.Kid in a candy store.

Thanks for an honest sight on todays Sportsmen show.

WOW!!!

I had no idea they were running the event this weekend?? no radio/media advertising??

Already made plans for the weekend, so I'll be content with the upcoming Spring Fishing & Boating Show.

Better show based on comparing the last couple of seasons IMHO.

For the last few years now they've held it the weekend before the spring fishing show precisely because they were stealing much of the business.

The Direct Energy building at the Ex is phenominal in comparison

And when you walk up to the Direct Energy Building and see all that fancy curved steel work at the front of the building, you can know my late son was one of the men that erected it.

Makes a dad proud !!

800px-DirectEnergyCentre.jpg

Wondering the same thing. Didn't it used to be on march break? Why the change?

The Direct Energy building is city property. A few years ago Miller banned guns from Toronto owned properties. The Sportsman Show moved to the Convention Centre (which is owned by the province). With Miller out of the picture, the Sportsman Show was able to move back to the Exhibition.

I have heard that there traditional March time slot has already been taken by another show. Thus, the Sportsman Show had to find a new time slot. The time slot that they chose happens to occur the week before the Spring Fishing Show. The time slot they chose may have been partly or entirely an attempt to take the business away from the other show.

cheaper entry fee,

This is my pet peeve.(ya been down this road) Do you pay to enter your sporting goods store? NO.

YA YA not everything over one roof. Oh wait,some do.LOL

Ya these shows charge the vendors to have booths. . It,s a cash grab from the top to the bottom.

Thing is,the bottom guys have to feed more,cause the top feeder is taken more then they should.

Bring the vendors in,NO CHARGE.. Ask say 10 dollar entry per person. Kids under 12 free,WAIT, 15 and under.(Their kids still). Now you might get more people coming in and find some deals.

Minimum wage is going to $11 dollars an hour in June. How many spend more then that on ONE LURE.?

Show? What show? will there be dancing girls and monkeys riding tricycles?Haven't for years and won't be attending any anymore. With a world of information and advertisements at the click of a mouse is there even a need to do so?

Edited by moxie

Show? What show? Will there be dancing girls and monkeys riding tricycles? Haven't and won't be attending any shows anymore. No need, is there?

Stop in at the Brass Rail before leaving the city and 1 of your criteria will be met! LOL!

This is my pet peeve.(ya been down this road) Do you pay to enter your sporting goods store? NO.

YA YA not everything over one roof. Oh wait,some do.LOL

Ya these shows charge the vendors to have booths. . It,s a cash grab from the top to the bottom.

Thing is,the bottom guys have to feed more,cause the top feeder is taken more then they should.

Bring the vendors in,NO CHARGE.. Ask say 10 dollar entry per person. Kids under 12 free,WAIT, 15 and under.(Their kids still). Now you might get more people coming in and find some deals.

Minimum wage is going to $11 dollars an hour in June. How many spend more then that on ONE LURE.?

There also lots of smaller local shows that go on around the province. Not the big showy splash of the big Toronto shows, but affordable, with deals to be had, and supports your small local businesses.

I heard there were only a couple retailers at this weekends show. I know next weekend water wolf lures will be there anglers choice will be there and there are supposed to be more retailers also.

Musky Sunday will also return with Jim Saric and big Jim speaking. Lots of prizes for this show also. Handlebarz musky lures is donating 200 special 2014 musky sunday beer can koozies for the first 200 people that come out to musky Sunday. I can't wait to get out and chat about musky fishing with everyone. Doors open at 7:30 the show starts at 8 and runs to 12. Please stop by and say hi. I will also be working the muskies Canada booth from 1-3pm with my wife.

I had looked into getting a booth at the show but the cost of the booth then add in the hotels meals plus loss of two days wage I could not justify it. I would love to do some of these shows and it would be great to have more small guys there as I know the musky guys love the odyssey and getting to talk with the bait makers and I totally love to chat about fishing and hearing the stories from my customers.

Hope to see a buch of OFC members out there