This years hobby

aplumma

I decided to take up an old hobby that I have done in the past. I started making custom knifes again. Here are a few that I have made this year.

220C4021-F546-44B6-987D-25F955209BF2_zps

This is an old knife I bought from a flea market and I refurbished the steel and made a new handle out of a wood called Tiger maple.

94B2CC38-FF83-4F59-9AA2-569240F9D1BD_zps

This is called a patch knife and the handle is a poplar tree with a diagonal cut to the wood.

58A11536-9C8D-4BCD-A638-775897E6D84F_zps

These are hunting knifes from top to bottom Leopard wood, Cherry and Maple. The blades are called domascus blades and are hand forged and rolled to build the layers you see in the knifes metal.

0F3327F0-4CB9-49D3-B8C6-CC3620DFF781_zps

These are a set of damascus steel paring knifes the edges are tempered and are a vg10 making them really sharp and holds a good edge. The handles are made of a maple with a walnut stain to darken them.

35E49F9B-61DC-48E9-B0DF-4F659C8B4E80_zps

This is a trout fillet knife with a laminated silver and black handle with a 440c blade.

EADF960A-F016-4932-9DC6-0B882CD3593E_zps

This is the sharpener I use called the wicked edge it is the finest sharpener you will find and puts an edge on a knife that is truely sharp.

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/aplumma/slideshow/sharpening%20blade%20micro

This is a microscopic look at the way a blade is sharpened and what the difference is between a factory edge is and a truly sharp edge.

Hope you have enjoyed this.

Art

Roy if you decide to get the system (WE100) and add a set of (blue/purple). Give me a holler and I can set you up with some wood "stones" that use diamond slurry paste. While the wicked edge have the stones and paste there price is very high compared to what I have been able to outsource the pastes and the blocks are easily made with the help of Pops and his workshop. You can go with the ceramic stones for your micro work but I have found them easily clogged and difficult to clean.

Art

Some nice knives there. I especially like the fillet knife. But tell me Art. First aid kit in every room?

The secret to keeping the cuts to a minimum is to use painters tape on the blade edge and then tape it from one side to another. I still get cut every once in awhile but usually I don't feel it till I see red then it is time for the neosporine and compression tape.lol

Art

Wow! Wanna make me a trout knife? Pretty please?

You actually have asked for a very easy knife to make and it is not very expensive. You can get the kit from this site.

http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/ss920k.htm

I encourage you to try making one yourself you will be suprised how much talent you have in your hands. The best advise I have is read the instructions that come with the kit and sand,sand and sand it smooth then apply the finishes. You will have around 3 hours of work into the knife spaced over 2 weeks for the finish to dry and the multi coats that you build up and sand in some cases 10 coats for the deep shine we all like.

Don't forget to get the matching sheath for your blade.

Art

You actually have asked for a very easy knife to make and it is not very expensive. You can get the kit from this site.

http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/ss920k.htm

I encourage you to try making one yourself you will be suprised how much talent you have in your hands. The best advise I have is read the instructions that come with the kit and sand,sand and sand it smooth then apply the finishes. You will have around 3 hours of work into the knife spaced over 2 weeks for the finish to dry and the multi coats that you build up and sand in some cases 10 coats for the deep shine we all like.

Don't forget to get the matching sheath for your blade.

Art

awesome! Thanks art. Id love to try this

The Wicked Edge is sold in the States at this website. http://www.wickededgeusa.com/. I would expect that they do ship to Canada have a look at the systems while they are pricey they are made well and do what they say. The WE100 will sharpen most knifes to the level that is excellent for 95 % of what people want. Add the blue/purple and you can finish the blades to razor sharp. When you get into the polishing of the blades you are past the true point of a working edge and into art work or bragging rights. For some getting one or two friends to chip in makes it affordable and a good way to meet up and curse the weather and plan your next trip.

They do have a Canadian distributer here. I haven't contacted them to see what they charge or about shipping so check both places for prices.

Perry's Gun Shop

Reg Perry
1325 Great Northern Rd
Sault Ste Marie
Ontario P6A 5K7
Canada
705-759-8346
[email protected]

Art

Hey Art, thanks for the info.

Do you make those damascus blades yourself, or just the handles? That would be an interesting hobby, and I'm sure a lot of time invested. They look awesome.

S.

The damascus blades are an old art form from the Japanese that takes a carbon core of metal and then they heat it with a thin piece of another steel that has less carbon but is more of a protestant from corrosion. They keep folding it over on itself which makes the core keep its high carbon aspect yet allows it to be flexible and less likely to rust. The art form was originally used for the samurai swords that were known for their ability to take an edge and turn the blade of a striking blow. The metal is stronger than the 440C that most commercial knifes are made of but not as hard as the vg10 which is the new formula of the damascus blades. The harder the metal of a blade is the harder it is to sharpen but the less often it will need to be sharpened. The higher the carbon content of a blade the easier it is to sharpen but the finer the edge can be honed to. The disadvantage is that high carbon knifes need to be kept dry and oiled because they will rust. The popularity of the Stainless steel is not that it is a better blade metal but that it more forgiving for the way we abuse our knifes. Damascus blades can be machine made using a air hammer and lesser cover metals all of the way to a hand forged blade using the correct metal and traditional arts costing hundreds or for a sword thousands of dollars.

Art