US Boat-Thanks OFC

Tim Mills

I would just like to say thank you to the members of the OFC that helped me with the process of buying and importing a boat from the US. The knowledge and experience of the OFC's members was invaluable. Thanks to the members who responded to my PM's.

I bought a 2006 G3 from Boat Boys LLC in Newark OH. They provided excellent service, value and long distance communication throughout the process. The boat has been fished hard and needs some TLC. It has some small dents, dock rash, hull scratches, a broken radio and carpet that needs replacing. The trailer will need some minor fixes. Terry the head mechanic ran the motor for us and spent over an hour with us going over every part of the boat, motor and trailer. You never know until you get it out on the water but the compression numbers were good and the boat appears to be structurally sound. Coincidently we met the previous owner in the parking lot. We had a good talk with him about the boat as well.

vp3440426_1_large_zpse638a1fb.jpg

Everyone's experience with be different but these were my conclusions:

You don't have to buy from a private seller to find value in the US.

Private sellers can be scared off by the extra steps it takes to sell to a Canadian buyer.

Be prepared to act quickly.

Ask as many questions as you can before you travel so there are no surprises when you get there.

US sellers, even dealers don't know what docs Canadians need at the border so be firm and double check.

Before you leave Canada make up make sure the seller has the the correct documentation you will need

(proof of ownwership/title for boat motor and trailer, separate bills of sale for boat, motor and trailer,

The trailer information is important at the border, make sure the stamp can be read , they wanted the serial # and the date and year of manufacture.

Luck did play a part for me. I had 2 deals for other boats that were more money and not as good fall through. The timing was also good- it was Jan, nothing was moving and the dealer was motivated to sell.

Thanks also to my friend Nick who made this happen. Nick found this boat for me doing a random google search. We left at 515am and got back at 1015pm. He drove both ways and insisted on paying for the gas and taking his vehicle.

Awesome man! Importing our Lund from Michigan was painless, it really is a simple process. Just need to make sure you know what you need from the seller in order to bring it over legally. I think we were in customs for maybe 10mins when bringing it across at the Sault.

$8500 US with current exchange is what? Close to $9500 Canadian

Plus your 13% tax at the boarder.

$300 for trailer RIV,

Gas money.

Carpet repair cost .

Plus the unknown issues?

I think you could have done better here at home.

Just my two cent !

$300 for trailer RIV,

Gas money.

Carpet repair cost .

Plus the unknown issues?

Just my two cent !

I don't know about that. Good aluminums are few and far between. I couldn't buy that around here for less than that. I didn't read what FF paid for it.

FF,

Good looking rig, hope it all works out. I think you have a nice boat for under 10K. The info you have listed is great for anyone looking to buy.

JD

Looks really nice from where I'm viewing it! Thanx for posting the necessary info needed at the border. I've been searching in New Hampshire - now I'm going to search Ohio for sure. Do you pay sales tax in Ohio & Ontario? What is the rate of duty payable at the border? Can you use inter- ac, visa, mastercard at the dealer? I know a few questions I'd be asking the seller such as - engine compression report for all cylinders, send a pic of the lower end oil, is the trailer structurally sound for immediate towing, are the wheel bearings in good shape? Send me a close up pic of the tires, does it have a spare? Lots to consider when you think about it. I'd be interested in more info if you don't mind? Send me a PM if you wish. Thanx

$300 for trailer RIV,

Gas money.

Carpet repair cost .

Plus the unknown issues?

Just my two cent !

That is rude. Secondly - u obviously don't know canadian prices then. Think before u type.

Good to see that you got the deal you wanted on the boat you wanted. I have always found good quality boats at fair prices down here. Yes there are some people who want to take your money but by and large I found if you approach a dealer and are honestly trying to purchase a boat and offer to pay a small fee for any extra over and beyond questions and requests they will bend over backwards for you.

Art

$300 for trailer RIV,

Gas money.

Carpet repair cost .

Plus the unknown issues?

Just my two cent !

When you assume you make an ...

Just because a boat is listed for a certain price that doesn't mean that's what you offer or that's what you pay. You are correct there are additional costs when buying in the USA and that price would not have made sense to me either.

This boat was originally listed at $9850 and reduced to $8300, then finally "call for price" was listed on the website. I was fortunate to buy the boat for significantly less than the last listed price.

As far as unknown issues you get those with any boat, new or used, here or in the states.

As far as doing better here I invite you to post any adds listing a 2006 boat with similar features and extra's , troll motor, fish finder, 3 batteries, custom cover, spare tire, and 150hp motor for under $9000 CAN including all taxes, duty, exchange, plates, RIV, inspections, travel expenses etc.

Thanks again OFC.

$300 for trailer RIV,

Gas money.

Carpet repair cost .

Plus the unknown issues?

Just my two cent !

Coming from the guy that imports boats from the US as a business.....lol. What happened to congratulations?