Starter Sled

Dan668

Looking to purchase a snowmobile. I know nothing about them. What's a reliable sled or a model I should be looking at? Main use will be for ice fishing. May get out once a week to try a trail. Willing to spend up to 4/5 grand

Any long track, fan cooled machine in 340 up to 550 cc should do you fine. The indy lite 340 was a good choice, but there are many out there that do the trick. I have a 550 sport touring thats great on the trails and for ice fishing, just doesn't perform too well breaking trail in to the back lakes around here. A bravo or Skandic would be my one and two for back lake fishing but dont offer much for trail riding

Make sure you do your research on which fan cooled motor your go with, some are good some aren't so good. Stay away from triples. Definitely a 2up touring sled. All I use ours for is icefishing (Polaris Indy Touring Trail) and it's been fine (sans when I blew it up last year, which was completely my fault lol)

Edited by BillM

Indy lite 340 fan. An excellent ice fishing machine. Bravos and tundras are good bush buggies and ice fishing specific sleds but just average trail machines. I have owned a couplel yamaha and a skidoo and all have good options available, but if it where my coin I'd go with a Polaris Indy lite. Most guys at my hunt camp use the little polaris. Fan is a must. We use a liquid Polaris 2 up and a newer skidoo 600 2 up at the family cottage, and they are excellent machines but a bugger when they do get bogged down in the slush or deep deep snow. Good luck!

Why fan. I am told liquid cool motors last twice as long. And can be used in a wider range of temps

Heat exchangers in the liquid cooled models can be picky depending on the surface you're riding on. With a fan motor, it doesn't matter at all.

A fan will go anywhere, no need for scratchers etc. You will get many many miles on a well maintained fan. That's just my opinion on sleds for ice fishing and off trail use, based on my experiences and those that I fish and hunt with. Your mileage may vary, buy what you like.

Take a look at the Ski Doo Tundra LT. It is one of the lightest sleds and has one of the lowest pounds per square inch mass with a 154 x 16" track. Large storage area on back and can be converted to a two up easily. Get fat ski skins, stud the track, and add some scratches for when the snow is gone and ice is all you have.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2010-TUNDRA-55O-LT-W0QQAdIdZ555132840

I have a 2-up Skandic with a small 380 fan so I can't comment much on the liquid vs fan debate. My biggest concern with my fan is over heating on a warm day with tons of slush. Studs are needed period, especially on icy hills and for stopping fast. Fan cooled machines need scratches to lube the sliders and liquids need them to to cool the engine. I here the newer 600 ACE motors are very nice although add a little weight.

Fans are simpler lighter machines. I use a 700 polaris liquid for ice fishing it's got a studded track witch helps. But I've never had the temp light come on running on bare I'ce I replace sliders at beginning of every season never worn out completely . . But If I fished 5 days a week I would have a 250 bravo longtrack.

The new Tundra II are awesome. Not the most power but maybe the most versatile. They are light and easy to handle. They have reverse and DONT get stuck. I had a Skandic II 503R and I loved it for pulling and working but It was still not the best for venturing into the deep snow breaking trail.

Elans rock Purenewf!

what type of ice fishing Danbob? Lake Simcoe stuff?

the Bravo LTs and older Tundras are more for when bushwacking is or maybe required. Easy to pick up when you get stuck too. I have a Bravo LT and 3 cottage friends that have older Tundra LTs, the older Tundras have steel tunnels that add weight and rust

both sleds aren't good for carrying heavy loads and passengers or towing ice huts, I broke the skid frame on an old Bravo short track

for 4-5 grand there's plenty of options

yeah I know I keep posting pics of this thing, and yeah I know it's an old piece of pooh, but I admit I love this sled

100_2169.jpg

Edited by chris.brock