Toronto Boat Show

fisher

Thinking of buying a new boat and will be attending the boat show for the first time. Never bought new before but thought that if I don't do it now, I may never get a chance to. You only go around once in this life, right?. Maybe my mid life crisis moment is kicking in. Who knows. Regardless, I think this is the year to splurge.

I m ay be in the market for a 1775 Lund Impact. From my research it seems like a boat that fits my needs. I still want to store it in my garage (I think it should fit) and still want to tow it around. The boat I have now is okay (1992 16 foot aluminum Starcraft with a 40 HP Merc) and it runs great but thought a slightly bigger, newer boat may be more comfortable for the salmon fishing we do on Lake Ontario but still be suitable for smaller lake fishing as well.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on what options I should investigate and not compromise on? Or any other tips they care to share? Thanks

Not boat related but if you plan to spend the whole day there, maybe think about bringing a cooler with food in it. The snack bar fare is very meh and $$. Might be other options in the DEC but not sure. Fishing boats are the east end of the hall. Have fun and happy shopping :)

I have a Lund 17.5 Tyee from the Boat Show 2007. Might be a lttle heavier than the Impact.

It came with a 115 4 Str Merc package. I changed to Yammie 115. ($1K extra)

With 2 guys in the boat, perfect horsepower. 42 mph

With 4-6 family, shoulda got the 130 or 150. Poor hole shot loaded heavy.

Have to send somebody way to the front to get the bow down.

thought you should know.

So when you walk into the booth it's setup. The salesman walks over because it's his turn.

Your 1st ? should be were is your dealership. If he is from Windsor and you are from Ottawa say no thanks. Have him send the guy over from your area.

Next question you ask is what motor he supports. If that's not what you are interested in Say no thanks. Get the guy you want to talk to.

Sportsman show deals usually are not that good.Usually the trailer is way to small,electronics are low end junk, trolling motor 12v and half size battery's.

The good news is it's your time to up grade and all the info is there. Get your prices on electronics, trolling motors, downriggers, sideplanner mast and anything else that interest you.

Now you are ready to check boats.

Write everything on the contract.

Salesman says he will throw a Lund hat in. Write it on the contract. Salesman says the trailer will have a spare. Write on the contract Spare tire included N/C.

I sold boats for a few years at shows. You are going into a lions den be aware.

my neighbour bought a 15K snow machine from the alumacraft dealer in red lake and got a 400 leather jacket, I bought a 36k boat motor and trailer from the same guy and got a 15 dollar hat, I guess if you don't ask for goodies from the sales people, you are left wanting .

good luck in the purchasing process

Maybe you can use the different Lund dealerships that will be there to your advantage. For example - get the best price from DT Powersports, then go to Discount Marine and ask them to beat that price. There are other Lund dealers there as well, those are the only two I know of.

Measure your garage and bring your tape measure to the show. Even with a folding trailer tongue, a 1775 will be a tight fit in a standard garage. You can adjust the bow stop forward on the trailer to shorten the overall length, but it will add more tongue weight on the hitch.

Good luck and let us all know what you end up with!

Thanks for all the good advice. I am very close to discount marine so would likely go with them if I end up being a buyer. I'll visit them last.

As for walking into a lions den, I figured that. I'll just have to make sure I know what I want and what i am willing to pay. I hate parting with my money so it may be hard for them to convince me to sign. I figure if they can come up with a deal at the show and make money, they can do the same after the fact. I may be wrong. May end up leaving without a deal and doing some more homework. We'll see how it goes.

I wonder how many leave there with buyers remorse? I know no matter the deal I get I'll likely have some regrets. Kind of like your first house purchase. You always wish you had done this or that, or both.

boat may be more comfortable for the salmon fishing we do on Lake Ontario but still be suitable for smaller lake fishing as well.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on what options I should investigate and not compromise on? Or any other tips they care to share? Thanks

Think about where you are going to mount down riggers, rod holders, etc. Some models may be better for than others for that.