Cabelas Barrie Progress

misfish

Lets hope they hire people who know,not think they know.

That's the exact issue with the "big outdoors store" in Oshawa.

Management know next to nothing about the outdoors...then hire people just like them.

Who cares though? Are you guys actually going into stores like BPS/Sail/whatever and asking for advice from the guys behind the counter?

Stoty is upset because he didn't realize he was seasonal staff and got canned, lol. Life in the retail world, it hasn't changed.

Edited by BillM

Who cares though? Are you guys actually going into stores like BPS/Sail/whatever and asking for advice from the guys behind the counter?

Stoty is upset because he didn't realize he was seasonal staff and got canned, lol. Life in the retail world, it hasn't changed.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't go in looking for advice. I may ask where something is, then tell the guy/girl to beat it.

Stoty does seem a little sour.....lol....I don't mind Sail actually. I go there over the other guys across the road every time.

S.

So what yer saying Bill, they might as well hire monkeys? I get the I don't need to ask but, there has to be some knowledge of what your selling. As for Stoty, not my issue here.

I am still going to ask questions just to see what the answers are going to be.

As someone new to fishing I often go into Sail and ask questions to the knowledgeable staff behind the counter (sherway gardens sail).

I have been in sales my whole life so it is very easy for me to tell when I am being sold, and I never felt that way.

They were genuinely telling me why I may or may not need certain things for my application and they made sense to me.

Its the same reason I joined this community, to learn as much as possible because I don't have anyone to teach me.

So although to someone very knowledgeable like you Bill, it may seem silly to ask someone behind a counter advice since they may

very well not have as much knowledge as you do, for my girlfriend and I it can be very helpful.

As someone new to fishing I often go into Sail and ask questions to the knowledgeable staff behind the counter (sherway gardens sail).

I have been in sales my whole life so it is very easy for me to tell when I am being sold, and I never felt that way.

They were genuinely telling me why I may or may not need certain things for my application and they made sense to me.

Its the same reason I joined this community, to learn as much as possible because I don't have anyone to teach me.

So although to someone very knowledgeable like you Bill, it may seem silly to ask someone behind a counter advice since they may

very well not have as much knowledge as you do, for my girlfriend and I it can be very helpful.

Very seldome I ask,but,most of my info is from this site so I have a real good idea when I get in what I want.Agree some times you would like some educated help.

I guess we do things differently. I do all my research beforehand (especially if I'm buying a bigger ticket item) All I'm looking for is the lowest price, my mind is made up well before I even step foot into the store.

Make sure you ask around here before venturing into a big box store and start dropping $100's on fishing gear :)

I agree do your research before... don't always count on the fishing store staff. I have a fishing buddy that always says "the guys at lebaron... the guys at sail... the guys at bps said this would be good, etc...." Drives me nuts lol. Unless it's a shop that caters to a specific body of water, then they most likely know a few things about the area.

Actually BillM, it has nothing to do with that...but there is a problem when the fishing manager doesn't know the difference between mono and braid or doesn't even know how to tell the size of a spinning reel. That's pathetic. But, I guess when your sleeping with the store manager....you get the job.

Actually BillM, it has nothing to do with that...but there is a problem when the fishing manager doesn't know the difference between mono and braid or doesn't even know how to tell the size of a spinning reel. That's pathetic. But, I guess when your sleeping with the store manager....you get the job.

Sounds like you should have slept with the manager, I hope he wasn't too much of a bear!

Does she have a sister?

HH