I should have stayed home...

SlowPoke

After a long week working dayshift and getting up at 2AM (day shift?) I never had enough time to dedicate to installing my new Lowrance. I decided not to try it in case I wasn't able to finish the install before the long weekend. I knew I still had to install new riggers and naturally I waited until the last minute.

Friday afternoon I ventured into Woodstock to pick up a pair of Walker Tournaments... 4' boom, auto-stop, positive ion (whatever...) some Bert's swivels (oh man, these rock!), a 200 khz transducer, Navionics 14XG chip and a couple dipsy's. It took quite a while, the store was swamped! I think I was in there for about three hours but I got everything I needed, all of my questions answered and my Lowrance updated, setup and ready for install. I felt great walking out of there - much more agile, ready to pounce having shed all that unwanted money!

On the way home I stopped by jjcanoe's house for last minute hook-up for the morning. I knew he was busy and had to stay near home for personal reasons but I thought I'd give it a shot. JJ couldn't go but it was a nice visit (thanks for the beer) and I met one of his neighbours... nice guy despite being a float fisher ;)

I had already called mepp's (hope you aced the test!) and UncleBuck (have fun at 6 mile lake!) and they were busy. I was going to meet Icefisherman at the Port Dalhousie ramp for 7AM with his boat/family and it looked like I was going to run solo on Saturday. I began installing the riggers and ran into a fuse problem on one side. Got that fixed and sat down for dinner at 10 PM. I still hadn't packed my gear or hooked up the boat and I was wiped after a 20 hour day facing a 4 AM wake-up to meet Emil. I left him a message that I wouldn't be there but I might come down later.

I woke up Saturday around 8:30AM (ahhhhh, that felt good!) and called a buddy from Oakville around 9 to see if he was into some fishing for the day. I hadn't spoke to him for about six months... I was still waiting for his call for a late fall get together fishing weekend LOL. George had a few things to do on Saturday like staining his deck and that he would call me back (get permission from his wife). I figured George might take a while getting back to me (like maybe August) so I started packing. I thought maybe I could pick up a hitch-hiker or maybe a homeless person on the way for some accompaniment whilst fishing. And then George called back!

We met at Home Depot in Hamilton and decided to take Barton to Fifty to avoid an accident on the highway... got on the highway and did about 9 km/h in traffic all the way to Ontario St. Our timing was great, met Emil while he was coming out of the ramp! We chatted for a bit and he said he got a shaker on a fly and a knock off... fishing was slow.

George and I launched, the engine started right up and off we went.

We headed out to 200' and dropped the riggers to 60 and 50 with cheaters around 30 and 25. Set the leadcore down to 45 and the dipsy around 40. All spoons - copper, orange, green, blue, purple. Marked some bait fish at various levels between 20 and 60 but no big fish on the graph.

DSC03325.jpg

We followed the 200' line going east and went as deep as 260' heading for Niagara. After heading north about 4 miles and east for 4 miles the engine quit.

I had used about 3 of 12 gallons of gas and both batteries fully charged. No warning, just quit and would not restart. I messed around for about 30 minutes and called *677 (OPP). They took my information and dispatched Niagara Regional Police. They arrived in about 20 minutes to check up on us. They could not tow us because we weren't in any danger but they stayed with us until the Coast Guard arrived.

My buddy George knew one of the cops from high school 20 years ago so they had a good time catching up.

DSC03326.jpg

The coast Guard arrived about 15 minutes after the police.

DSC03327.jpg

I asked if they could try to tow us back to Port Dalhousie around 2.5 MPH so I could send the riggers down again .

DSC03330.jpg

Just kidding, George posed with the rod for that shot. I don't think the twin 150 E-TEC's could do 2.5 on a big dingy!

DSC03328.jpg

They were a friendly bunch too.. good sense of humour and very sympathetic. We were towed in around 7 MPH right back to the ramp. While we were loading up some guy recognized from the night before at Angling Outfitters. We chatted for a bit while loading the boat and then we left around 7PM.

I don't think it's anything serious. It cranks fine and I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel but when I pulled a plug wire off the check for spark I didn't see any arcing. I suspect it's the ignition system which appears to be original.

I hope my next report will have more fish and less rescue... my last outing involved getting this guy's plane running so he could get off an island in Long Point.

DSC00858.jpg

Thanks again to Niagara Regional Police and the Coast Guard for your service and some laughs.

-Brian

That gives a whole new twist on the saying 'There's never a Cop aroind when you need one", they are out on the lake making sure someone isn't in serious trouble LOL.

Glad to hear you got back safe and sound, hope the problem with the boat is an easy fix!

Well Brian,

What can I say...nice pictures and not so nice luck but I couldn't do much better either.

It was one of those days....wasted about an hour in that same traffic problem but 4 hours earlier then you.

Oh well,...let's hope the next trip in better. Good thing I went to Niagara for the rest of the day. Was nice time for everyone.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Hey Brian, got the window well installed today and was given the OK to drag the boat down to Ridgetown tomorrow while visiting the inlaws. Tough call, sitting at the inlaws all day or heading out on Rondeau bay? Guess what I picked. I've got a full car but if you want to meet me at the park entrance, I'll be trying for some pike, or stray walleye if the lake is smooth. gimmie a call on my cell tomorrow morning after 10am.

So whats the next buy for you? My suggestion would be a VHF radio!

jjcanoe

Thanks for the offer JJ, I'm heading east today - 3 trips for work.

Good luck at Rondeau.

I was going to buy a VHF but decided to hold off until Fathers Day... I've stopped buying neckties and fridge art for the same reason.

-Brian

Hey Slowpoke, you should be happy you took the boat out yesterday. Just think, if you had gone anotehr day, perhaps on your own, chances are the same thing would have happened, would the police have been so close? The Coast Gaurd?. Be thankfull it happened when help was so close, you had company and it's the beginning of the season so hopefully a minimal amount of fishing time will be lost as a result. I hope is and inexpensive and easy fix.

Maureen

You're still sucked into the Bermuda Triangle Dude!!! Once the BT has you in it's hypnotic icy grip, it's nearly impossible to escape!!!

Electronics won't work, usually starts with the motor... the the GPS and fishfinder... you keep trolling over your line, over and over again!!! All the water around you boat (within casting distance) stays completely void of fish. Your offerings to the Fish Gods are spat upon!

The only way to break this curse... is to send an Alabama Redneck your best Muskie rod & reel with several brand new Muskie baits!!!

Hope this helps!

The only way to break this curse... is to send an Alabama Redneck your best Muskie rod & reel with several brand new Muskie baits!!!

Hope this helps!

I'll try anything, where do you park your trailer? ;)

-Brian

Does the CG charge a 'fee' for towing you in ?

I have heard it's a hefty bill..

Not to my knowledge.

They took my information so I suppose they could send me a bill. If they do, I'll just add it to the stack.

-Brian

I asked if they could try to tow us back to Port Dalhousie around 2.5 MPH so I could send the riggers down again .

I read this report the day you posted it and have been chuckling about this comment ever since.

Thanks for the laugh and report.

Joey

Good to here all are safe and sound. I'm sure we can all relate to the leaving things to the last minute. lol You did check the kill switch didn't ya? I did that one a few years ago. lol! I took the cowling off, pulled the plugs, no spark but motor would turn over great. Put everything back together, turned around and the kill cord was on the floor of the boat. Put it back in place and she started first try. :whistling: