Crappie

nancur373

There was mention of ice on a small lake close to Barrie, the next day you couldn't find a parking spot.. :whistling:

Now everyone's gonna know where to look for first ice come next year! Forget parking there the first Saturday you're looking for ice next year now!

On another note, nice fishies. Hopefully we'll get back out for some fishing this winter Purenewf!

Problem is purenewf years ago before the Internet people would actually have to read maps find lakes scout them out do all kinda of homework on the fishing spots and make several trips to find out if fishing was good or if the ice was safe !!!! Lots of work involved !!!! Now people just want all the info and locations and what bait you are using all from their couch so that they don't have to do all the grunt work !!!! They want someone else to do it all for them !!!!! Then the next day they jump in their car and go right to where you just posted about and now they tell a few people who then tell a few more and next thing it's ruined !!!!! It has happened many times and will continue to happen !!!!!! Not too mention the disrespect they bring with them like all their garbage and park wherever blocking people's driveways and climbing fences and not having respect for the resources or private property !!!!! And that's just a few of the reasons if its a big body of water and well known that's a little different but if it's a small lake or pond or small trout creek it will be destroyed in no time ..... Just sayin ....

I realize the issue now. I was just pissed of the attitude towards me saying that the whole thread should be removed.

I also realized we're lifers...so may as well stick around

Don't worry about it, I've been around this site since almost the beginning and I've been slapped on the wrist a time or two for giving up "secret" spots. Now I very seldom post fishing reports other than I went fishing with my buddies and we had a super day. I never post pictures anymore because I was told that they can have the lat/lon imbeded in the file information.

Very different than when this site first started and you would post specifics because you wanted other people to come out and share the day. I think it's called evolution, not sure I like it though!

This place started as a club and now it has grown into a community. The number of friends that I have made stretches from the beginning where I was member # 77 ( 4 boards ago) on into our future. I have found some of my friends have faded from the board but I talk to them in other media. The spirit of this place is still here as the core and that is share what you know and help the man next to you as best you can. As with all good things in life it is a 2 edged sword thankfully the sharper side is the one that makes this place great.

Art

Problem is purenewf years ago before the Internet people would actually have to read maps find lakes scout them out do all kinda of homework on the fishing spots and make several trips to find out if fishing was good or if the ice was safe !!!! Lots of work involved !!!! Now people just want all the info and locations and what bait you are using all from their couch so that they don't have to do all the grunt work !!!! They want someone else to do it all for them !!!!! Then the next day they jump in their car and go right to where you just posted about and now they tell a few people who then tell a few more and next thing it's ruined !!!!! It has happened many times and will continue to happen !!!!!! Not too mention the disrespect they bring with them like all their garbage and park wherever blocking people's driveways and climbing fences and not having respect for the resources or private property !!!!! And that's just a few of the reasons if its a big body of water and well known that's a little different but if it's a small lake or pond or small trout creek it will be destroyed in no time ..... Just sayin ....

Agreed. funny thing is if they park on the street i mentioned originally there is only parking for 2 vehicles max and the homeowners are quick to call the enforcement for a tow and they act quick. Seen it many times lol

Don't worry about it, I've been around this site since almost the beginning and I've been slapped on the wrist a time or two for giving up "secret" spots. Now I very seldom post fishing reports other than I went fishing with my buddies and we had a super day. I never post pictures anymore because I was told that they can have the lat/lon imbeded in the file information.

Very different than when this site first started and you would post specifics because you wanted other people to come out and share the day. I think it's called evolution, not sure I like it though!

Cliff, as long as your GPS is turned off when you take the pic (I'm assuming you're taking one with your cellphone) no GPS data will be embedded into the pic. Also, with services like Photobucket, EXIF data (The information attached to the picture) will be stripped away :)

Cliff, as long as your GPS is turned off when you take the pic (I'm assuming you're taking one with your cellphone) no GPS data will be embedded into the pic. Also, with services like Photobucket, EXIF data (The information attached to the picture) will be stripped away :)

Yep.

Many people aren't aware that pictures taken with smartphone's will have GPS coordinates embedded, unless the GPS is turned off before the picture was taken. What is the purpose of this anyways? A somewhat hidden method for big brother to keep track of what people are doing and to help determine the location of illegal activities? I see no useful purpose?

It's funny when people take the time to blur the background of their pictures when with a few clicks of the mouse you can know the exact location where the picture was taken.

Best be careful when posting pics of secret fishing spots or grow ops you've found in the bush....

Great haul !!! Personally, I can see not posting specifics about small backwoods lakes and such. Small rivers, or little known "spots", but when you are talking about huge well known rivers and lakes, in and around metropolitain areas, well , it just doesn't strike me as being all that important to hide the background or access to this kind of location.

Great haul !!! Personally, I can see not posting specifics about small backwoods lakes and such. Small rivers, or little known "spots", but when you are talking about huge well known rivers and lakes, in and around metropolitain areas, well , it just doesn't strike me as being all that important to hide the background or access to this kind of location.

On multiple occasions I have went to Lake Simcoe to locations where few people tend to visit and parking/access was very easy to come by with no garbage blowing around. That all changes when someone decides to post the location on the internet and a few days later the number of fishermen visiting the spot goes from a dozen a day to literally over a hundred people. This results in people parking where they shouldn't and garbage everywhere which has resulted in no parking signs being posted due to frustrated residents having their driveways blocked, damaged lawns, and garbage on their property. You should see the access points to the laker and whitie grounds after someone posts a report of a successful outing.

Same goes for salmon and steelhead. Everything is all fine and dandy until someone decides to post on the internet and the next day the number of fishermen has went from 10-20 to over 150 at only one access point of a river. I also saw this while trolling Lake O this year where one report from someone results in dozens of boats working one small area.

How about bass, perch, or pike at Long Point? I fish the point often and the result is boats spaced casting distance apart because someone said they caught some fish there a few days prior. One awesome spot for pike is bad for this and the result is not even being able to troll the area due to increased traffic.

There's a reason the majority of fishing forums have rules against posting specifics. ;)

My eye opening internet experience happened about 15 years ago when I got my 1st computer. I posted on another fishing board...I wasn't aware of this board yet. Anyway I fished a first ice spot on a Saturday and absolutely hammered perch. It was a gorgeous day too and there was if I remember correctly only 2 or 3 other groups of fishermen out there.

So I go home clean my fish and afterwards make a very specific post on the internet. Then I pack it in early cause I wanna go back Sunday and do it all over again. I wake up Sunday morning and it is a blizzard outside and I almost went right back to bed, but the fishing was sooooo good the day before I decided to get on the road for my 1.5 hour drive. All the way I'm thinking no one will be there today as I gotta be the only idiot driving in this weather. I pride myself in pretty much always being the first car there in the morning. Well was I in for a surprise :angry: I get to the parking area and there are dozens of cars there....already...in this blizzard. I ended up parking across a hiway about 1/2 KM from the lake rather then 50ft. I went out and hammered perch again so I had another good day. However in my post the night before I had specified a football field sized area that was producing. Well there was over 100 people out there in that area in that blizzard. I am 100% certain all those people where there because of my post.

That was the last specific report I ever made on any internet forum.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

My eye opening internet experience happened about 15 years ago when I got my 1st computer. I posted on another fishing board...I wasn't aware of this board yet. Anyway I fished a first ice spot on a Saturday and absolutely hammered perch. It was a gorgeous day too and there was if I remember correctly only 2 or 3 other groups of fishermen out there.

So I go home clean my fish and afterwords make a very specific post on the internet. Then I pack it in early cause I wanna go back Sunday and do it all over again. I wake up Sunday morning and it is a blizzard outside and I almost went right back to bed, but the fishing was sooooo good the day before I decided to get on the road for my 1.5 hour drive. All the way I'm thinking no one will be there today as I gotta be the only idiot driving in this weather. I pride myself in pretty much always being the first car there in the morning. Well was I in for a surprise :angry: I get to the parking area and there are dozens of cars there....already...in this blizzard. I ended up parking across a hiway about 1/2 KM from the lake rather then 50ft. I went out and hammered perch again so I had another good day. However in my post the night before I had specified a football field sized area that was producing. Well there was over 100 people out there in that area in that blizzard. I am 100% certain all those people where there because of my post.

That was the last specific report I ever made on any internet forum.

Sounds about right.

Look forward to a thread started by me in the near future showing just how bad the internet can be. I'm going to see how many suckers I can get to visit a "hotspot" where there is no access, no parking, and no fish. :D

That's why I don't specific spots,but I have seen someones new portable hut out somewhere .lol. :P(never announced by me ) .I learned real fast,unless a close friend,I keep the background close,and mums the word.Heck,I don't even say the lake,river ,no matter how big it is .