Anyone Make Their Own Adult Beverages?

DRIFTER_016

I brewed my on beer for a bit at one of those u-brew locations. The problem is your on a schedule and need to empty the bottles quite rapidly as another batch is just around the corner! Cheaper yes, but your work production will suffer and your intake will go up, bigtime!

I'd like to make some rum or whisk. That would be awsome.

Hydroponic cane. LOL.

Make my own wine, been doing it for 38 years, I buy 100% juice from Magnotta winery and do the rest. Fermenting, racking and testing, abit of work but you can't beat the price and results.

I've experimented with blending juices for colour and taste and so far have had some great results.

X2 on the wine kits. We do a Merlot for our red and a Pinot grigio for a summer white. Works out to about $4 a bottle. The red is OK. We have not been able to find a red we are 100% happy with. The Pino is great though. Rivals any bottle we have ever had from the LCBO. Actually starting another batch this week for our summer at the cottage.

I believe that operating a still is really, really illegal. I think buying part for a still is also illegal.

You can do it. Check You tube for DIY.

If you don't have a good supply for a mash, you can make batches of beer and distill that down.

You have to be careful as the first distillation creates Acetone... bad stuff. You might have to distill twice.

David (Hick!!) aka Superdad

Surprised to hear from so many winoh fisherppl!

Might be an interesting topic for a pole to hear what the fishing masses consume.

I'm a beer guy but when its really cold and there is freezing potential I'll change over to a good whisky.

From watching Moonshiners I think that's a tad dangerous and way to risky for this guy! Would sure like to try some. Closest I think I've had was some homemade screech from out east.

I believe that operating a still is really, really illegal. I think buying part for a still is also illegal.

You can do it. Check You tube for DIY.

If you don't have a good supply for a mash, you can make batches of beer and distill that down.

You have to be careful as the first distillation creates Acetone... bad stuff. You might have to distill twice.

David (Hick!!) aka Superdad

You are correct about acetone production.

There is also methanol which is even worse.

They are the most volatile of the alcohols and as such boil @ the lowest temp and come off first.

This is why the fore shots (between 50ml and 200ml depending on distillation method) are discarded.

The heads ( early safe distillate) and tails (late distillate) are mostly recycled in the next run as they contain off flavours that can adversely effect taste. You are then left with the hearts which is the purest ethanol that is saved.

Technically illegal yes but there are tens of thousands of people making for their own consumption. ;)

I certainly wouldn't be selling any to anyone as this will get you in a heap of trouble in a hurry. nono-1.gif

Cool I love this thread..Keep it going..Dave thanks for the links too BTW.. Awesome! As for distillers you can buy them on ebay. Just like POT if you make your own and dont sell it no one is going to bother you. Unless you got caught...Then its just a slap on the wrist anyway

One of the electricians i used to work with made incredible wines. He was pretty obsessive over it though, but man he had it down to a science. One morning after a nightshift he invited over some coworkers to try some wineshine he had made. Of course a few of us brought beer as well. Back then i could easily drink a 12 pack in a few hours same with others. I remember having maybe 3 beer before having a glass of wineshine. A 10-12oz glass, and boy oh boy was that good. But half hour later everyone was beyond intoxicated lol. Good times for sure.

my inlaws make wine (Italian), but man, its the worst swill i've ever tasted.

i think the years of drinking their own home made wine has killed any taste buds they may have had.

when you can buy a nice bottle of red for $12 its tough to get overly excited about home made wine.

I have 5.5 gallons of hard dry apple cider that's ready to be bottled tomorrow and is 6.5% alcohol. I picked and pressed the apples myself...6 gallons went towards hard cider and 9 gallons was jarred and frozen for 100% natural cider that blows any store bought cider, which is pasteurized and has preservatives, out of the water.

I bought two MB Bottle Brew kits that made 2 cases worth of decent beer for $30 plus taxes. Simply add the yeast to the wort in the kit, let it sit for 2 weeks and drink.

When the Bottle Brew stuff is gone I will be attempting beer for the first time.

I've also done wine from fresh pressed grapes and dandelion wine. Both were great and nearly free to make!

Cool I love this thread..Keep it going..Dave thanks for the links too BTW.. Awesome! As for distillers you can buy them on ebay. Just like POT if you make your own and dont sell it no one is going to bother you. Unless you got caught...Then its just a slap on the wrist anyway

No problem. :D

I forgot about this link until Purenewf reminded me. :rolleyes:

http://homedistiller.org/intro/intro

Tons of good info there too. :)