Baitcasting reel for the ice ...

Jds63

I have several ice fishing rod and reel combinations setup for various species, however they are all set for spinning reels.

A ice fishing baitcasting reel combo has intrigued me especially setup for Lakers. I saw a new ice baitcasting reel at Sail and was thinking of adding it to my arsenal.

I have caught Lakers on my spinning reel setup but before I purchase any more gear . I was wondering what the expert ice anglers on the board have to say regarding ice fishing with a baitcasting setup vs spinning reel setup for Laker fishing. Is there a preference and why ?

Thanks

I'm NO PRO but I have spinning, baitcasting, fly reel and I am going to use my center pin this year. why so many options? because of line twist. I find that with a spinning reel the very light lures for panfish tend to spin in a circle when left alone. On the biatcasting and fly, not so much if at all.

yeah .. I was wondering if you noticed a big difference in line twist ...

even the guys I ice fish with dont have a baitcast setup so can't say i have tried one out, I had the setup in my hand at Sail and it felt decent

so basically other than line twist there isn't much of a difference ?

would be curious to hear what Drifters setup is up in the NWT for big fish

No line twist issues when youre jigging laker size baits. I definitely prefer baitcasters in deepwater situations and just use my old Daiwa crankbait reel in the winter. I dont see the point in buying an 'ice' baitcaster, especially since most of them seem to be of low quality

my 'ice' baitcaster reel in an HT ice MBR-2 and trust me when I say I would NOT trust it to anything bigger than a jumbo perch. I will be using a normal low pro Abu in it's place this year. Not for the brand, just cause I have one sitting collecting dust, lol

I dont fish lakers, but I know for pike with a still (dead) bait set up the baitcaster is really nice. If you crank the brakes up you can let it freespool when a fish takes the bait much like a baitrunner for carp. I do it so I don't lose my rod down the hole but I'm sure it helps fish hang on to the bait longer too.

I thought that it was going to be a great idea when I first tried it last year. Until it got cold and instead of frozen line being put onto the spool, the ice would get stuck in the line guide and jam things up. Maybe a big round reel would work better, but I don't think you'll see me with a baitcaster on the ice this year.

Also, ice is quite capable of scratching up reel finishes as well. Bring out the expensive reels, but make sure you have rod bags and reel covers.

So then jds63 needs to say if he's fishing in a heated hut, out in the raw elements or what to get the best answer. We ALL have different ideas and nobody's will be the same as we all fish in a different manner. jds63 found a new 'toy' at the store so he asked about it not by brand and or size. Just what it's like to use one. I have 6 ice rods at the ready to go any second. 3 are spinning, 1 baitcaster, 1 fly and one Okuma RAWII pin. It is what it is for me. Nothing we use is perfect for all applications.

Edited by GBW

No line twist issues when youre jigging laker size baits.

Laker size baits for some of us are 1/16 ounce jigs at 100 feet!

Outside the hut.. mono.. heated hut braid. Like GBW says, it all depends on what you want to use and how you go about your fishing routine.

I am using new abu revo s baitcaster reel. it's really light - only 6 oz, so your hand is not getting tired after whole day of jigging. To prevent ice build up in line guide I bought some time ago in BPS some kind of paste in fly shop to prevent ice on guides of fly rod. Was not cheap - $8 for small box, but I was putting it on rod guides as well and it's working quiet well for me.

I tried using a baitcaster last year (no hut) and it froze up on me . I actually broke something in the reel and had to get it fixed so I won't be doing that again at least not with one of my good baitcasters .

I will try the oil on the spool , thanks !

4x4, that happens to a lot of baitcasters in the cold.

okuma's, pleugers, these reels are rarely sealed. one of my good friends uses a calais 100.

that'll work!

likely a calcutta (te, not new model) will also work.

when fishing quinte, the only reel i've found truly sealed that I could troll with was the tekota.

reels just aren't designed for the cold.

Edited by Steve

4x4, that happens to a lot of baitcasters in the cold.

okuma's, pleugers, these reels are rarely sealed. one of my good friends uses a calais 100.

that'll work!

likely a calcutta (te, not new model) will also work.

when fishing quinte, the only reel i've found truly sealed that I could troll with was the tekota.

reels just aren't designed for the cold.

I was using Pflueger Patriarch and some cheap Quantum reel before it. Never had any issues fishing without hut and heater.