Opinion on a new ATV please

captpierre

Might be ready to pull the trigger on an ATV.

I'm not a speed demon nor very mechanical. 5' 6" tall.

Mostly to poke around the cottage and maybe the Haliburton trails.

Thinking of a Honda 420 PG CTE in camo.

2013's are on sale. about $7500

Anybody have an opinion on this machine?

Also looking at Yamaha 550 with EPS. Quite a bit more $

I purchased a new Polaris in 2012 - 500 HO. I'm an older gentle rider, so no need for speed & mud bogging. I use it primarily to get on & off the ice & some trail riding. It has been good so far no problems. $7500.00 including a 3500 lb winch & sales tax. Mid City Motorsports in Sudbury.

I too have a Polaris! 450 sportsman bought it new in 2006 and it has been a excellent machine!

As above, I didn't want it for racing, just getting me around. Whatever machine you do get, make sure you get a winch installed. If you are going to be using it in snow, ground clearance is a big thing, if you get snow packed up under the skid plate you will be doing a lot of digging, once the tires can't get traction you won't be going anywhere. I also prefer belt drive for going out on the lakes and things. If you are running on a lake and hit a drift it can put a lot of torque on your drive system, a belt will slip a bit and reduce the stress.

Kawartha ATV Club would also be a good contact, they can help you with all kinds of information and would be a good way to find out which dealers to stay away from, who will give you the best prices and service. They also have lots of rides every year which would be a good way to learn some of the local trails.

The last and most important thing is service whatever machine you buy make sure you can get good local service. Ask to see their service department, is it clean, well stocked. Then Google them and see if there are any customer reviews.

The last and most important thing is service whatever machine you buy make sure you can get good local service. Ask to see their service department, is it clean, well stocked. Then Google them and see if there are any customer reviews. GREAT POINT Cliff

Get what you like maintain it and you will be fine .. I wanted a two up rider looked at pol/can/cat. yem/hon does not make a two up rider, Decided to go with the cat been happy so far.

Definitely go with Honda or Yamaha if you want a reliable machine that should require only basic maintenance.

In the last 3 years I've logged around 4,500 kms (typically 30-80km runs) running with every major brand and the Artic Cats and Polaris are #1 for issues with constant overheating, burning belts off, and electrical problems being the most common. Any brand will hold up fine if you putt around the farm on the grass, but when you start using the machine for what it's meant for is when problems will arise.

I've beat the snot out of my 07 grizzly 700 (still working on the rack and bumper from a couple weeks ago when a tree just jumped out of nowhere! :whistling: ) including around a dozen roll overs and the motor has been full of water twice and she keeps on ticking like nothing ever happened. It's actually rather amazing that after everything I've put it through it's still reliable as the day it rolled out of the factory and the only maintenance parts it's needed are brake pads, spark plugs, and lots of zip ties to stitch the plastics back together.

There is a listing on kijiji Ottawa right now listing brand new Grizzly 550's for $7500. Don't be afraid to buy lightly used either as you'll save a bunch of cash and it's typically very easy to tell how it's been ridden.

I have a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450...disaster,, i had to replace a headlight !!!

great machine, don t need p/s, just use a little muscle ;)

if i ever felt the need to change up, would definatley do Yamaha again

But, with power steering it's sooooo nice cruising through deep holes or over big rock piles in 4x4 using one hand while the non power steering guys are forced to use both hands with the bars getting yanked out of their hands. After 12 hour rides you're definitely far less fatigued if your machine has EPS.

Power steering is worth it alone just for the anti kickback it provides.

I've got an '06 Kawi 750 Brute Force. I've heard of guys having problems with theirs, but I have "driven" mine, and it's been awesome to me. I'll admit I wanted to have one of the more powerful machines available, which you don't need...but I've never regretted!

That said the deal you mentioned on the Honda sounds pretty solid. As has been said, it's hard to go wrong with a Honda. If I was in the market today, I'd probably look at one.

Whatever you get, you'll want to maintain it and having service close by is a big plus.

Have fun.

But, with power steering it's sooooo nice cruising through deep holes or over big rock piles in 4x4 using one hand while the non power steering guys are forced to use both hands with the bars getting yanked out of their hands. After 12 hour rides you're definitely far less fatigued if your machine has EPS.

Power steering is worth it alone just for the anti kickback it provides.

i totlally agree.. depends on your adventures i suppose.

Power steering is definitely good to have, takes the punishment out of "old shoulders". I think if it wasn't for Poopularis and Canned Ham having low prices and attempting to flood the market, most would probably buy, Yam, Kawa, and Suzuki. Although Honda makes excellent power equpment, they have been slow on getting with the program for ATV's. Arctic cow paddy wouldn't even make the list.

So you guys are saying having somewhere to do regular maintenance is a needed requirement on these machines of today? I have three Yamahas... a 1985 Moto 4 (that has been road by adults most of it's life).. and a 1995 Breeze and Big Bear. They have all had at least one oil change in their lives and the moto 4 only because it melted out the original plastic drain plug in it's first month of operation. None have been babied and none have needed any maintenance. They start and run fine every time, although the bear finally needs an exhaust muffler after 18 years.

ch312- u r too funny "tree jumped out of nowhere"!!! Similar to hitting a moose?

Well, at least with a moose some people might actually believe that it jumped out of nowhere. I'm not having too many takers falling for the "tree jumped out of nowhere" story I've been telling. :dunno:

On the plus side I did manage to get the rack and bumper straightened out (pushed in about 4"!) yesterday with a bottle jack and chain, so now I just need to replace the middle bar that was creased and spray it with bedliner.

So you guys are saying having somewhere to do regular maintenance is a needed requirement on these machines of today? I ha e three Yamahas... a 1985 Moto 4 (that has been road by adults most of it's life).. and a 1995 Breeze and Big Bear. They have all had at least one oil change in their lives and the moto 4 only because it melted out the original plastic drain plug in it's first month of operation. None have been babied and none have needed any maintenance. They start and run fine every time, although the bear finally needs an exhaust muffler after 18 years.

Every ATV needs maintenance (inspections fall under that category) on at least the wear items if you're into frequent trail riding. I've rode many ATV's owned by the "I never need to do maintenance on my machine" crowd and some are downright scary. Steering with inches of play, bearings so loose the wheels just wobble, a-arm bushings nearly missing, brake pads wore right down to the backing plate, still driving with broken engine mounts and frames the rider never knew about, and all kinds of other crap.

Nearly every single rider with that mentality ends up getting towed home within the first 1/4 of our rides. A poorly maintained machine is fine for the farm, but that's about it.

Anyone in the Brantford area wanna go for a rip this weekend?

Just got the last Honda 420 PG CTE in camo

Power steering, Fuel injected, 4 wheel independant suspension.

My first machine.

I wanted a winch but $680 for a Warn 2500lb, thought that was a bit much.

I'll do a bit of rough riding and likely some snow plowing 3-4 times/year.

CT has a Superwinch LT 2500 on sale for $130. Is this a decent winch?