Muskie Reels - What do you use??

Sour_Squirrel

Don't fall for the advice where you need reels for specific applications like cow girls or whatever. A good solid reel that will do it all is what you are looking for. Like dax mentioned, Diawa Luna 300 or the revo toro. No need to go and get a calcutta 400 TE, it really is a waste of money when you can buy two really good reels for the price. I have one and am happy with it but I can't see/feel the performance difference that 300 bucks make.

Edited by Squid

Abu Garcia 6500 C3. I only musky fish a few times a year though. I would have picked up a used Calcutta, but couldn't find a good enough deal on one. Regardless, I love the Abu and it's weight is a non-issue for me. I ain't no wimp!! Lol.

Edited by FishLogic

carbon fibre brakes will increase your reel performance substantially from the original ones installed in your reels. I plan on giving all my reels to a musky inc member after the season and he will clean the reels for 10 bucks each and then add top of the line disks into my reels which will greatly improve their life and performance.

So some foks think that expensive reels cast big musky baits better than cheaper ones? Really? Its not the bait or the fish its the person holding the equipment.

not only do they cast better, they hold up better to the abuse of reeling in big baits.

the lexa 300 has a plastic bushing for the pinion gear, unlikely to hold up a long time

I use both Calcutta CT's & TE's and in my opinion, the TE is FAR superior to the CT.

For cranking big bladed baits or or working large jerkbaits, I like the Abu 7000's and for trolling the Tekota 600LC is my reel of choice.

Everybody has their own opinions on reels and that's the way it should be.

not only do they cast better, they hold up better to the abuse of reeling in big baits.

the lexa 300 has a plastic bushing for the pinion gear, unlikely to hold up a long time

No issue with my reel after some good fishing time with it. I believe the Lexa 300 also has 22lbs of drag, plenty for fighting skis. Read many of the reviews online and no one has had an issue with this.

It's a solid reel and I was glad I bought this over a more expensive option.

My friend had a cheaper shimano Cardiff, he only got a few seasons out of it before it died and had to buy another reel... he got a calcutta D and will most likely have it for a very long time. Worth the money.

I use a calcutta D (they don't make the TE's anymore) for most of my fishing. I have a curado 300 too but pretty much use the calcutta most of the time, just feels more solid, even with the smaller baits.

I also have an Abu C3 that I've beat up for 5 years and it still works great. That's a good strong cheap reel IMO. I've put a lot of hours on mine and it's really easy to service yourself if needed. Think it's around the $120 mark.

Everybody has their own opinions on reels and that's the way it should be.

yep. i can see Pete's (squid) point about a good all-round reel for someone looking to outfit a combo or two and that's just fine

but once you start obsessing over these stupid fish, i do think reels specific to a task can become advantageous - mainly in terms of durability of gear and angler. i tried an avet salt water reel strictly for dbl 10s & 12s this year -- makes it a lot easier to throw them all day and work the lures fast. my 7001 is good for big blades and it can do much more but for this purpose the avet's much better. along the same lines, i find using a curado 301 so much easier throwing suicks and other jerkbaits.

i am not talking about carrying a whole arsenal of rods in the boat either. I typically have 2-3 casting outfits in the boat plus a trolling rod. Depending on the where and when, the starting lineup changes. In the fall, i may only bring one or two casters and 2 trolling combos, one wire and another braid.

Edited by Raf

Lots of good comments, some questionable ones as well.

A more expensive reel has some qualities others can't touch, period.

If you spend the money you will get a reel that;

• is smooth
  • casts very long distances
  • is light in weight
  • has potentially a lower profile (less bulky)
  • Better interior components
  • Lasts longer
  • Less tiring

If you are a seriously addicted caster who throws heavy bucktails and big glide baits all day every day, you will want to spend the money on a high quality reel. On the other hand if you only get out a dozen times a year, cast 40% of the time and are not into heavy baits, and troll the rest of the time, then a less expensive reel might fit the bill.

Personally, I wore out an abu 6500 in a single season. I now own 2 Curado 300E reels and have had them for about 4-5 years now. They are in fantastic shape and have caught a ton of fish on hundreds of thousands of cast(Estimate :whistling: ).

Get what fits your needs and you can build from there

My daughter uses a 300E for muskies and is very happy with it, specially with the low profile making it easier for her to hold.

Yes they are easy to palm and very comfortable, when you are working and burning the baits in this reel won't wear you out just holding on to it.I see a lot of guys out here using the 300dsv, 300e, revo and now guys are spending the crazy bucks on the tranx. That said, a lot of 50-50 cast/trollers are still using the abu 6500/5500 series.

Shopping around f or a discounted second hand reel is also a good option.

I've been using a couple abu's (5500, and 6500)for more years than I care to mention. No issues yet. I fish for everything though, not just musky. I only use the abu's for musky. One of them I bought used to boot.

S.

x2 The ABU's have been a very good reel for me as well, trolling or casting for close to....I better not say either...lol! With only one reel that gave me some grief out of the 5 or 6 I have in all that time. They have seen a lot of use over the years, I'd say they are pretty tough to beat for the price. Not sure if they are built as well now a days but the ones I have are tanks.

I use a Tekota 500 for trolling

Calcutta D for all around - and is ok for blades

Curado 300 EJ for surface baits or anything that requires fast line pickup

Calcutta TE for blades - can pull twin 13's all day with no problem

I have used cheaper reels like the Abu C3's and they are ok - if you just fish muskies a day here and there. But if you fish them hardcore (ie 8 straight days on LOTW) you and your arms/wrists will appreciate a Calcutta TE or Abu Winch. If you have the budget get the good stuff - resale value on these items are solid as well.

Pete

Well my most recent musky was on a 1000 Stratic but I would not recommend that as a first choice. :oops:

I have calcuttas, TEs and Bull. I also have a curado 300 dsv. And a big old 700 Abu. I've long been a shimano guy but I have tried, and will try, others as well. After what shimano did to the TEs and the curados I'm just afraid that they'll also wreck the Bull and that will be just about the end on the line.

If you are looking under 200 and want to get one now I would recommend the Daiwa Lexa. As others have said the better reels are worth it, but only really worth the money if you fish them hard, as Pete said. If you are willing to wait the Lexa 400 looks like a really nice reel, and as a lefty I have a soft spot for them. Another option would be a calcutta b 400 if you can find one kicking around.