UV flashlight for charging glow spoons

redpearl99

After reading some threads today about how to charge a glow spoon, I decided to go out an buy a UV flashlight. Some people said they use camera flash or regular flashlights, but some people said a UV flashlight is the best.

After I purchased my UV flashlight from Home Depot for $9.50, I was so impressed that I decided to make the following video.

I first charged a brand new glow spoon with a regular house lamp. I held the spoon almost right next to the bulb in order to get the most light possible. While the regular lamp did charge the spoon somewhat, it was not strong enough to show up on my cell phone camera.

But when I then used the pocket UV flashlight to charge the spoon, it glowed like the sun. Night and day difference

I didnt have an old school camera to compare it with. But the spoons where brighter with the UV flashlight than when I put them out in the bright sun.

The bright glow of that particular spoon lasted about 5 minutes.

Chris, im sure there are brighter spoons out there. The spoon is actually much brighter in person than how it appears in the video.

I did this last winter while board and tinkering with my tackle(lol). The flash method is horrible, maybe slightly better then a 60 watt light bulb. I use northlands glow jigs at night while ice fishing and the charge lasts about 15-25 minutes. I find white holds a charge the longest. Never really tried it with any spoons though. The only plastics I use that glow are these cigar style worms and a 3" paddle tail minnow. They barely glow as per stated, but they sure work well. I forget the brand but there sold at Canadian tire, I believe the company is called lunker?

he bright glow of that particular spoon lasted about 5 minutes.

Does, it stop glowing altogether after 5 minutes? Or does it just lose some of it brightness?

I would consider this for MC Rockets but it is not worth it if it only glows for 5 minutes.

Edited by JohnBacon

It is an LED UV flashlight.

Home depot sells an LED flashlight by the same company for the same price and they both look the same on the outside. But the UV flashlight has different packaging and says "UV LED". The UV LED flashlight uses specially LED diodes to emit UV light rather than regular light. I guess you can think of it as a mini tanning bed light.

Edited by redpearl99

Anyone ever use one for tracking blood? Do they work?... I picked up a flashlight of the same brand (which is a Home Depot exclusive I believe)and it was an LED tactical with 493 lumens... The light output is unbelievable and it was on clearance for $15 batteries included.. The package says its good for 1400 feet..

The last 2 weeks I’ve tried the UV flashlight VS my larger camera flash (Canon 430EX II) VS LED headlamp VS cheap LED flash light.

For speed, the camera flash wins out achieving high intensity glow with 1 flash (on full output) – It took 8 passes of the UV flashlight to achieve the same glow intensity. A smaller flash (as found in most disposible cameras) probably wouldn't be able to achieve similar results.

For glow longevity, the camera flash and UV light are about the same (provided that the spoons achieved the same glow intensity at the beginning). I also achieved similar glow intensity and glow longevity with my friend’s high output headlamp (possibly 200 lumens or higher – It is super bright)

For portability, the UV flashlight is easy to fit in a pocket. I could not achieve the same glow intensity with my LED headlamp or LED flashlight (they are not high intensity light sources – Rated 45 lumen and below). The flash is quite large and won't fit in any other than a bigger wading jacket pocket.

Keep in mind that some spoons are painted with longer lasting glow finishes. I have some spoons that will last 10 minutes with a flash or UV flashlight (obviously with degrading glow intensity over that time) and many that won’t glow much after a few casts.