MNR Restructuring/Layoffs and Hiring

Jon

HIstorically, the MNR has usually done better under the Conservatives than it has under the LIberals. Conservative vote base tends to be stronger in rural ridings, compared to the Liberals, who tend to have stronger support in major cities. Mike Harris wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but his government was very good to MNR. Anti-science? Not at all. That's crap made up by the Toronto media.

Check out

The Anti-Science Left you might be on to something.

Apparently these cuts mean more CO jobs but less testing, field work, study jobs.

I somewhat agree with the extra CO's doing better enforcement and maybe bringing in a few extra $$, but it's hard to enforce what you don't understand. I guess they'll be farming their science out of house... maybe they could use data from the Experimental Lakes Area...no, wait a minute!! grrrr

There was always talk about merging with the MOE - perhaps it's time to take any relevant parts and merge and eliminate the extra management.

I get the feeling that is exactly what is happening.

HIstorically, the MNR has usually done better under the Conservatives than it has under the LIberals. Conservative vote base tends to be stronger in rural ridings, compared to the Liberals, who tend to have stronger support in major cities. Mike Harris wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but his government was very good to MNR. Anti-science? Not at all. That's crap made up by the Toronto media.

NDP is NOT the answer - they are the worst thing that could posibly happen to MNR. Were you not here when Bob Rae's NDP wanted to hand control of MNR over to the Indians?

Hunters and fishermen do better under a Conservative Government . P3TA and the likes of them, " Environazis" do better under the Lib/Left

Hey rc, I just heard on the radio that another group is looking at taking over the experimental lakes project. Anyhow, I'm not sure if it means anything, but the MNR are out full force in NW Ontario. I've never seen so many out in all my years. Maybe a last ditch effort to show what type of finances they can generate? That's just a speculative guess however

I hope it's not a case of too little, too late!

None of us law abiding fishers/hunters ever mind the MNR personnel coming into camp, or checking fish retained while on the water.

I, in fact am very happy to see them. It does not happen often where I fish. It pains me to see the 'no overtime', 'no holiday extra pay' that has been the norm for years, in the province. Either the present government cares for the resources or it doesn't. It's up to the voting public to stand up and be firm!

Question your local MPP. Get involved. Being 'political' is not a disease, but rather a right under the laws of the land.

Change will happen, but not right away, and certainly not easily. IMO.

I was talking with a CO this morning as they checked our licences and it seems the cuts are all office jobs and wont affect the Officers...the COs went through cutback process a few years ago...which got me to thinking while i continued to fish...they now travel with an OPP officer...think about this for a second...a conservation authority officer doesnt need a warrant to go through your car where as an OPP officer does...the OPP is there for CO support hence making access to the private property (car or house) open and warrantless...i know if you arent doing anything wrong there is no need to worry...but...it just seems to be another Charter of Rights loop hole....Im sure OPP officers cost more than COs increasing the cost of enforcement....doesnt this make sense? so i was thinking because of the extra cost to accommodate the OPP enforcement this is possibly a contributing factor to these cutbacks :dunno:

Hey rc, I just heard on the radio that another group is looking at taking over the experimental lakes project. Anyhow, I'm not sure if it means anything, but the MNR are out full force in NW Ontario. I've never seen so many out in all my years. Maybe a last ditch effort to show what type of finances they can generate? That's just a speculative guess however

I'm lucky if I see one every ten years in NWO.

I was talking with a CO this morning as they checked our licences and it seems the cuts are all office jobs and wont affect the Officers...the COs went through cutback process a few years ago...which got me to thinking while i continued to fish...they now travel with an OPP officer...think about this for a second...a conservation authority officer doesnt need a warrant to go through your car where as an OPP officer does...the OPP is there for CO support hence making access to the private property (car or house) open and warrantless...i know if you arent doing anything wrong there is no need to worry...but...it just seems to be another Charter of Rights loop hole....Im sure OPP officers cost more than COs increasing the cost of enforcement....doesnt this make sense? so i was thinking because of the extra cost to accommodate the OPP enforcement this is possibly a contributing factor to these cutbacks :dunno:

if a warden goes in your house with out a warrent he had better come out with a fish and wildlife infraction ... or his butt is fried.. and maybe some of the bioligist should go , why is a bioligist that knows nothing about fish responsible for fisheries departement in the mnr officer when she specilized in mamals.. and the golden handshake was 2 weeks for every year worked plus regular severance. and that program does not run out till jan 30

The place I've been checked the most is on Nipissing. Every visit there I get stopped at least once. Very professional, cordial folks doing their job. They make sure you have everything you need on your boat safety wise, ask how the fishing has been, check for obvious signs of impairment, then wish you a good day. It's the way it should be.