Bass opener (FMZ 17) ?

ehg

Was surprsied to notice that Largemouth and Smallmouth are open this upcoming Saturday in Kawarthas.

Seems way earlier than usual. Is this right?

What produces fish this early in season:? Later in summer topwaters and spinnerbaits are good but not sure what to throw or where. this early. Any ideas?

This is the first year that FMZ17 will open up bass on the 3rd Sat in June instead of the 4th. With the weather we've had, you'll still be finding a lot of spawning fish.

Also to add, the season is open a month later then usual. Try to avoid shallow and sandy areas where the bass might be still spawning if u care about the fish. Personally dont think its a big deal tho. Ministry knows what theyre doing. Ive had good luck in the kawarthas last couple days while fishing musky with 4" swimbaits.

The spawning beds last weekend were up high in fast moving waters on the Trent river. I don't think that the water was there when they started the spawn because they usually don't spawn in fast water.(FYI I watch them spawn every spring from my dock) Now when I went down to the dock this weekend the water levels have dropped and the beds are gone and completely exposed,. Does that mean the spawning beds were destroyed and that spawn is lost? I sure hope not..

Edited by tb4me

The spawning beds last weekend were up high in fast moving waters on the Trent river. I don't think that the water was there when they started the spawn because they usually don't spawn in fast water.(FYI I watch them spawn every spring from my dock) Now when I went down to the dock this weekend the water levels have dropped and the beds are gone and completely exposed,. Does that mean the spawning beds were destroyed and that spawn is lost? I sure hope not..

Sure sounds like it to me! :(

Yep, they're toast. Good ole trent severn waterway. They have the biggest impact on our fisheries. Some years they do great, other years they are responsible for a complete loss of a year class.

That said, I've been getting big bass on deep weed edges fishing walleye, so maybe they're done and gone. I dunno, I'm no bass guy.

S.

Yep, they're toast. Good ole trent severn waterway. They have the biggest impact on our fisheries. Some years they do great, other years they are responsible for a complete loss of a year class.

That said, I've been getting big bass on deep weed edges fishing walleye, so maybe they're done and gone. I dunno, I'm no bass guy.

S.

Ya, stick to the walleye and salmon threads Sinker. I still recall the time when you said bass were ghay

Things should be fine spawn wise up in FMZ18, haven't seen a Bass on a bed in a bit. Colder lakes could be an issue but reality is the studies show the most successful and largest specimens spawn first and the fry from the late spawners rarely are big enough to make it thru winter anyways...so the key fish should be long done.

Have a great season boys!

RJ

Never really targeted bass until late summer/ early fall when more large ones seem to hit topwaters, so this early stuff had me a bit perplexed . Turns out buddy wants to go to Rice Lake around Roseneath so seems like fishing for walleyes produces bass judging by responses here. lol

Just seems like late spring around here still, will try deeper presentations along weedlines i guess. :dunno:

Bass start spawning with water temp in the low to mid 60's. Ít has been that temp - at least in the Kawarthas for at least a month. I saw fish on beds the first week of May.

A week added to the season isn't going to make the difference between catching fish full of eggs and those that aren't.

I'm going to be out enjoying the extended season the MNR has afforded all anglers - more opportunity to fish is a good thing.

Yep, they're toast. Good ole trent severn waterway. They have the biggest impact on our fisheries.

So sounds like ministry controlling water levels on Kawarthas is biggest demon to bass spawning.

A couple of weekends ago I was doing some scouting on Dalrymple and spotted all kinds of beds, it looked liked the spawn was done.

looks like spawning is done at Scugog too. I was out yesterday targeting walleyes at the deeper weed edge and got into some good OOS bass.

most of the bass here (just a bit North of fenlon falls on a small lake) are off the beds now too

Soiunds like those who live in FMZ 17 on lakes. Have observed that bass spawned long ago.

Pickeral fishing last weekend we were getting hit by bass in deeper water around the weedlines. Seems like most if not all are off their beds. It is unfortunate timing that the ministry changed the season and the first year we get a late summer. I guess we'll find out in a couple of years if they were wrong or not.

Opening bass season a week early wont hurt a thing. Most bass will be off their beds by now.

Don't get why this is such a "big" issues with people.... if there are two species of fish that we shouldnt be worried about it's LM & SM.

Just glad they FINALLY put a slot limit in for Walleye, as their population has been taking a beating in recent years.

Now, if only they would put a slot limit in Quinte, where the fishery is being decimated VERY quickly. :wallbash: